Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

They are also a second slower than Sauber. They are in a league of their own, this will be about testing I think.

NathanOlder

Sauber are certainty the slowest of the midfield, yet in Q1 they are alot closer to Mercedes than Mclaren are to Sauber! Come on Boys, get your s**t together. Being at the back in the first half of the season is perfectly acceptable, but from now on they need to be making serious progress!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

CjC
CjC

NathanOlder wrote:Sauber are certainty the slowest of the midfield, yet in Q1 they are alot closer to Mercedes than Mclaren are to Sauber! Come on Boys, get your s**t together. Being at the back in the first half of the season is perfectly acceptable, but from now on they need to be making serious progress!
You can't make major progress when testing is so limited. It's alright for the likes of Force India who can't afford to go track testing but happily bolt on to the back of their car the class of the field engine.
Just a fan's point of view

trinidefender
trinidefender

Ok we have had all these predicitons etc from Arai that the PU is better than Renault. Personally I don't see how this is possible. However, I have to wonder about the fuel. It appears that the new fuel that total brought for the Renault really helped. Watching this SPA race now you can clearly see that the Renault engines have no where near the deficit that they used to have earlier this season. Maybe some of the hp deficit that the Honda PU is subject to is down to the fuel.

GoranF1
GoranF1

https://vid.me/of6y
Its down to engine after all...;)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Piraxian
Piraxian

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:https://vid.me/of6y
Looks to me they are actually down 1000rpm at the top end, if that is the same across every gear (most likely) it would explain a lot.

Doing some awful maths 300/10500*11500 = 328 which is inline with the merc.

radosav
radosav

Alonso managed to get from 20-th to 12-th position during first lap. Do you guys think was it because of fully charged batteries at start of race?

jk-27
jk-27

From what I see, Rosberg scrubs off hardly any speed going round turn 18, yet Alonso scrubs off 10kph. Rosberg and Alonso also seem to have the same breaking point, despite Rosberg being 30kph faster at that point.

Sixbarboost
Sixbarboost

radosav wrote:Alonso managed to get from 20-th to 12-th position during first lap. Do you guys think was it because of fully charged batteries at start of race?
Could be so, but even more interesting is that he recorded today's 6th fastest lap on lap 34, why it seems the power is there, but perhaps they cannot sustain it for more than a lap or so due to overheating or something from the tight packaging?

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... il%20Kvyat

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

It was the 5th fastest time. Quite a good lap actually, the very thing is though how he did a 53.6 then next lap and for the rest of that stint was in 56's nd 57's, i.e. 3 - 4 seconds slower... something really strange going on. It does suggest there is a lot more potential there.

PlatinumZealot

Piraxian wrote:
Looks to me they are actually down 1000rpm at the top end, if that is the same across every gear (most likely) it would explain a lot.

Doing some awful maths 300/10500*11500 = 328 which is inline with the merc.
That says similar gearing. So definitely honda is waay down on power. The engine basically teeters out at 10500 rpm at those drag levels where The merc is able to push on. In the video both cars dropped speed through the turn but the merc recovered the speed and the honda didnt! Merc accelerated back to 328 or so afteer the turn and the honda dropped from 310 to 300 and stayed there. Must be a simple lack of raw power. Sad.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

According to my simple calculations from the video above the mercedes PU in that particular part of the track has 18.5% more horsepower than the Honda PU. Or you could say the honda only has 84.4% the horsepower of the mercedes.

So if the Mercedes is assumed to have roughly 830hp at that point of the Spa track the honda possess 700 horspower. There is a 130 hp difference. You can also assume the honda ICE is very good and makes say.. 640 hp.. That means in race trim their ERS can only push out 60 at that point of the spa circuit. The number is very small yes. I think Honda KERS can easily give more but only when it has the charge to do so. The video shows the last sector of Spa a place where the Honda has long ran out of battery charge. It means they are simply out of kers power at that point and can only push out the 60 hp instead of the full 160.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

maguetox
maguetox

tranquility2k4 wrote:It was the 5th fastest time. Quite a good lap actually, the very thing is though how he did a 53.6 then next lap and for the rest of that stint was in 56's nd 57's, i.e. 3 - 4 seconds slower... something really strange going on. It does suggest there is a lot more potential there.
It's obvious the Honda Engine has a ERS deficit but maybe Honda decided to race on a demoted mode in order to safe the integrity of the PU knowing that there is no reason to stress more than necessary the components on a race track that doesn't suits them. On that particular lap maybe they decided to try the real potential of the PU for one lap.

Sixbarboost
Sixbarboost

maguetox wrote:
tranquility2k4 wrote:It was the 5th fastest time. Quite a good lap actually, the very thing is though how he did a 53.6 then next lap and for the rest of that stint was in 56's nd 57's, i.e. 3 - 4 seconds slower... something really strange going on. It does suggest there is a lot more potential there.
It's obvious the Honda Engine has a ERS deficit but maybe Honda decided to race on a demoted mode in order to safe the integrity of the PU knowing that there is no reason to stress more than necessary the components on a race track that doesn't suits them. On that particular lap maybe they decided to try the real potential of the PU for one lap.
My sentiments too, something is very wrong with the Honda ERS, my guess is the compactness is creating overheating,
which didn't show until the PU was installed in the "Size 0" MP4-30 chassis. But they flashed it briefly yesterday.

NathanOlder

If this was the case then surely they could perform a little better in qualifying over 1 lap ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC