Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Thunders wrote:McLaren using their technology to help Honda is a great way to see the benefits of a Works Deal. Not sure if Honda's pride is a little scratched but if it is for the best of them both its all good.
Sounds like a pragmatic decision, McLaren may have already worked out a fix or understand what's going on and will get there shortly. Honda's corporate ego might be bruised but a proper works deal is all about making decisions that benefit the overall goal - winning. It will be interesting to see if the MGU-K is fixed and how well the race specification power unit runs.

Abarth

Thunders wrote:We don't even know how the PU looks so the chances will be very small we will see how a Seal inside of it Looks.
Yes, that's clear. However, if someone tells me that they have a problem with the crankshaft, I don't know how it looks exactly, but I know the essential function of it. Or the MGU-K motor, for that matter.
But a MGU-K seal, what the hell should that be? And how can that seal be related to the level the MGU-K can be loaded?

I can only think that it's a pass-through for the electrical conductors. Usually, for very high performance and high sealing requirements, a glass-to-metal seal or ceramic-to-metal is used, instead of plastic-to-metal.
http://www.electrovac.com/products/tran ... index.html
http://www.schott.com/epackaging/englis ... ang=german

SiLo

I would assume the MGU-K either is an extension of the crankshaft, or connects to it via some form of gearbox. How the hell they would do that I don't know, but my guess is there is a seal between the two parts of the engine?
Felipe Baby!

Thunder

They removed a Part of the Cascade Wing.

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Richard
Richard

Remember this thread is to discus the actual features of the car.

Twitter tags, Kevin Magnessen and your personal disappointment belong in the team thread :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 15&t=21194

ollandos
ollandos

this car remind me the mp4/20 (not on the livery only)....nice beauty fast ,,,,but .......break down all the time

diffuser

Wow,...I guess things can't worse! It's all uphill from now on!!!

PlatinumZealot

Ok... Now the car has had a hydraulic failure. Does any one know if it is related to the engine?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

CjC
CjC

PlatinumZealot wrote:Ok... Now the car has had a hydraulic failure. Does any one know if it is related to the engine?
In this report they supposedly mclaren tweeted that they had suffered a hydraulic leak and need to change the engine.
http://m.skysports.com/article/formula1//9732844
Just a fan's point of view

poolboy67

honestly i never thought that honda was going to be too great with these new engines. they weren't too successful when they last left, as far as engines are concerned.

i don't understand where this notion of "honda in a mclaren will be great" comes from. from when honda was with mclaren the last time? come on! that was over 20 years ago! to give you perspective, you know what was also 20 over years ago? cellphones the size of briefcases, and windows bloody 3.1! that's how long ago it was.

i know they have history, but my god how some people had their hopes way too high.

i'm not saying honda's rubbish, i'm saying they're mediocre, as recent history suggests.

anyway. if you look at last year, all but mercedes had similar problems (especially renault) and had very similar results in testing. it's too early to completely loose hope however, when remembering red bull's performance in the first race. which wasn't bad at all.

honda's behind a year. they should've returned last year. and they should've known better.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

Seamus
Seamus

True. For example Williams - Renault 1992 & Williams - Renault 2013 are different ages..

CjC
CjC

poolboy67 wrote:honestly i never thought that honda was going to be too great with these new engines. they weren't too successful when they last left, as far as engines are concerned.

i don't understand where this notion of "honda in a mclaren will be great" comes from. from when honda was with mclaren the last time? come on! that was over 20 years ago! to give you perspective, you know what was also 20 over years ago? cellphones the size of briefcases, and windows bloody 3.1! that's how long ago it was.

i know they have history, but my god how some people had their hopes way too high.

i'm not saying honda's rubbish, i'm saying they're mediocre, as recent history suggests.

anyway. if you look at last year, all but mercedes had similar problems (especially renault) and had very similar results in testing. it's too early to completely loose hope however, when remembering red bull's performance in the first race. which wasn't bad at all.

honda's behind a year. they should've returned last year. and they should've known better.
I am going to disagree and agree with you on this.
First of all I'm not interested in the history stuff so no opinion here.

I will agree with you on that honda should have been better prepared and should have started work on the PU ages ago.

I'm going to disagree with you about honda and these new engines. Wasn't honda one of the very first car manufacturers to go with the 'green idea' (the Honda Insight car). I would have thought the Japanese would be all over the electrical technology in these power units.
I believe honda had a v6 in Indy car too so that engine configuration it's my totally new to them either.

The one pointer I'll make, I didn't have any major expectations about honda's new PU with power out put or fuel efficiency. I did expect them to be rather reliable though! Something that honda are rather good at and their build quality.
Just a fan's point of view

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

It's the decision to drop the best power unit for a complete unknown that's to be scrutinized. Once again, a contrarian culture to safer proven ideas is turning into a nightmare....from the octopus of the 26, to taking a clean slate approach to the mp4-28 in disregard for the winning formula of the 27. They just need to knuckle down and make a good sound car built on well thought out philosophies...not gimmicks. There's no continuity with their design or systems direction and as things get more complicated, those who flip flop get lost

JDC123
JDC123

rifrafs2kees wrote:It's the decision to drop the best power unit for a complete unknown that's to be scrutinized. Once again, a contrarian culture to safer proven ideas is turning into a nightmare....from the octopus of the 26, to taking a clean slate approach to the mp4-28 in disregard for the winning formula of the 27. They just need to knuckle down and make a good sound car built on well thought out philosophies...not gimmicks. There's no continuity with their design or systems direction and as things get more complicated, those who flip flop will get lost
I agree totally with you about design continuity but to be fair to McLaren they agreed a deal with Honda in 2013 so we can't say it was a stupid idea. As a mercedes customer it would always be difficult to maximize integration with data being held by merc.

PlatinumZealot

Mclaren are thinking of their long time identity. Mercedes just was not in line with Rod Dennis' vision for Mclaren.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™