Sauber C34 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Moose
Moose

Re: Sauber C34 Ferrari

michaelclarke wrote:
Sebp wrote:Soft rear springs plus our favourite testing topic, the angle at which the picture was taken, maybe?
Would that bring a benefit over hard springs? Maybe to stall something/reduce drag at high speed?

Haha yes, it could definitely be that too. I've already been caught out a few times myself by that old trick.
It's pretty common for F1 cars to have relatively soft rear suspension (to aid traction out of corners), and relatively hard front (to prevent roll). McLaren used to take this to the extreme, but all teams do it to an extent.

michaelclarke

Moose wrote:
michaelclarke wrote:
Sebp wrote:Soft rear springs plus our favourite testing topic, the angle at which the picture was taken, maybe?
Would that bring a benefit over hard springs? Maybe to stall something/reduce drag at high speed?

Haha yes, it could definitely be that too. I've already been caught out a few times myself by that old trick.
It's pretty common for F1 cars to have relatively soft rear suspension (to aid traction out of corners), and relatively hard front (to prevent roll). McLaren used to take this to the extreme, but all teams do it to an extent.
Right that makes sense, cheers! I do remember reading that Sauber had been working on their traction, so this could be the result.

I also remember when McLaren ran what seemed to be very hard front suspension. Back in 2010 onwards they seemed to lock the fronts *relatively* often. I also read a post that said they had to run hard at the front for the benefit of the aero? Correct me if I'm wrong.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

PlatinumZealot

Their diffuser is pretty wide. I haven't seen a diffuser this wide in good while. Can any one do a comparison?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Moose
Moose

PlatinumZealot wrote:Their diffuser is pretty wide. I haven't seen a diffuser this wide in good while. Can any one do a comparison?
The diffusers have a mandated maximum width, and all teams use it, this is no wider than any other.

outer_bongolia

Re: Sauber C34 Speculation Thread

I suspect I tried to fit too much into a short post where I tried to start a discussion about the aerodynamics of the Sauber car. Sorry about that.
trinidefender wrote: And I suspect this post shows what you know about aerodynamics.
I am just a thermal hydraulics person. My knowledge of the fluid flow might be limited compared to yours.
trinidefender wrote: You said "narrows like a water drop as it goes back." Just a question but have you ever stopped and wondered why water drops are the shape that they are? They are that shape because as the water droplets fall, the airflow moving around them shapes them into the shape that causes the least possible drag. The less drag there is then the less you disturb the airflow moving around an object. They are aiming for the shape that creates the least possible disturbance to the airflow moving around it. Now as the airflow passes the widest part the nose tip tapers inwards drawing air back inwards to go between the front wing pylons. In my eyes it may be ugly but I do not believe it is a bad concept per se.
I will limit the initial part of the discussion only to the nose and its placement with respect to the central section of the front wing so that not to confuse anyone. If you look at the nose tip, it has a very rectangular cross section and a flat top. The flat top with the flat nose will generate quite a bit of downforce.

The part that made me feel uncomfortable is the very large curvature of the bottom portion of the nose tip. That will draw quite a bit of the air downwards. The nose tip is aligned pretty forward of the front wing's neutral section. So, in the absence of any curvature upwards as far as I see, the downward flow from underneath the tip will get compressed against the wing itself. It will create a high pressure section between the front of the wing and the bottom portion of the tip. That will cost a little in terms of efficiency.

The good thing is that, the fast flowing air (compressed further by the inward shaped pylons) will create a low pressure section under the nose. But that makes me wonder why they kept the continuation water drop shaped. (Please note water drop is not used in a literal sense, just like the way we use pelican nose or butterfly suspension) a more aggressive upward swing underneath the nose could have lowered the pressure at that location even further.
trinidefender wrote: Please people....stop with these "this part looks simple/under-developed/ugly/whatever" posts so the X/Y/Z part/car is rubbish posts.
I agree that the rubbish posts and trolling should be kept to a minimum. A constructive way to approach this will be accomplished when people share their knowledge (I guess especially on aerodynamics) instead of making disparaging remarks about others.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Sulman
Sulman

michaelclarke wrote:

Are those kerbs flat? It might be some bump showing.

I'm surprised by their pace. According to Scarbs it's essentially last year's car. If so they're either running super light or have found how to make it work.

mkable1370
mkable1370

Sulman wrote:
michaelclarke wrote:

I'm surprised by their pace. According to Scarbs it's essentially last year's car. If so they're either running super light or have found how to make it work.
Some of the improved pace is presumably due to the 2015 Ferrari power unit, as last years' unit was unquestionably a dog...

michaelclarke

Moose wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Their diffuser is pretty wide. I haven't seen a diffuser this wide in good while. Can any one do a comparison?
The diffusers have a mandated maximum width, and all teams use it, this is no wider than any other.
I agree; I don't think the C34 is wider. It may look wider by a trick of the eye?

Comparing the C34 to the SF15T, the two different designs around the outer edges of the diffuser *just behind the brake ducts* it could be the rounder profile of the Ferrari:

vs the square profile of the Sauber:

Does anyone have any better images of Sauber C34's diffuser? I'd like to take a closer look but can't find anything.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

michaelclarke

Some of the improved pace is presumably due to the 2015 Ferrari power unit, as last years' unit was unquestionably a dog...
Yep that'll help with traction as well, which was something Sauber were looking for.

I don't think the rest of the car is as inherently bad as some are making out. Sure it's a little chubbier around the sidepods compared to the rest, but it's not terrible. Plus, if not much has changed since last year, they should have a greater understanding of the car.
Last edited by michaelclarke on 03 Feb 2015, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

michaelclarke wrote:
Moose wrote:
I agree; I don't think the C34 is wider. It may look wider by a trick of the eye?

Comparing the C34 to the SF15T, the two different designs around the outer edges of the diffuser *just behind the brake ducts* it could be the rounder profile of the Ferrari:

https://i.imgur.com/v63g9AM.jpg

vs the square profile of the Sauber:

https://i.imgur.com/OtHwlFI.jpg

Does anyone have any better images of Sauber C34's diffuser? I'd like to take a closer look but can't find anything.
It's a different philosophy. They are equally wide but Sauber wants to use the full dimensional surface of the diffuser exit to have as much as volume as possible. Ferrari however wants to optimise the outwash which helps in extracting more air.
#AeroFrodo

Sulman
Sulman

michaelclarke wrote:

Yep that'll help with traction as well, which was something Sauber were looking for.

I don't think the rest of the car is as inherently bad as some are making out. Sure it's a little chubbier around the sidepods compared to the rest, but it's not terrible. Plus, if not much has changed since last year, they should have a greater understanding of the car.
I'm just surprised. It's impressively quick; as in much quicker than last year. I hope they can turn that into real pace. Sauber certainly know how to build a fast racing car.

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Maximum diffuser width is 1000mm, but whilst we're on the topic of Saubers I noticed something (may not be as I have drawn it but it all seems to line up)

I explain my thoughts on whats going on here: http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/ ... cal_3.html
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I've looked through quite a few other images and I'm not really seeing it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

michaelclarke

Matt Somers wrote:Maximum diffuser width is 1000mm, but whilst we're on the topic of Saubers I noticed something (may not be as I have drawn it but it all seems to line up)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bjrRlkF6axA/V ... 3fe171.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vjV1WAnbxSI/V ... 3fe171.png

I explain my thoughts on whats going on here: http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/ ... cal_3.html
I'm with you, I think they've come up with something smart here. As you say we won't know if it gives a massive uplift in terms of performance, however it may be one of the reasons why they're showing relative improvement.

I wonder if they would be able to integrate vortex generators as well as this concept for better flow attachment.

It's great as well to get a better look at all the cars with Sutton images on your blog.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Matt Somers wrote:Maximum diffuser width is 1000mm, but whilst we're on the topic of Saubers I noticed something (may not be as I have drawn it but it all seems to line up)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bjrRlkF6axA/V ... 3fe171.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vjV1WAnbxSI/V ... 3fe171.png

Interesting idea but I'm not sure they've made an opening in the side wall of the diffuser. For one thing the rules prevent that sort of thing these days.

More likely that their performance is due to Ferrari having made a real step change in the PU's performance. Either that or the others really aren't pushing that hard where the Sauber is flat out and thus is actually slow. Until we get towards the start of the season proper we won't know which of those is true.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.