Ferrari 2007

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Principessa

f1.redbaron

I strongly believe that the story of Michael going to Renault is a by-product of a slow-news day and somebody's colourfull imagination. Granted, that is where he had started (if you don't consider his very brief career at Jordan), but with all the rumors of Renault's pull-out, what makes you guys think that Renault will be willing to fork-over the kind of money Schumacher was making at Ferrari? With Carlos Ghosn at the helm, I doubt he's willing do invest that kind of money in Michael.

btw, these are the dates when the contracts expire on some of the drivers:

Ralf - End of 2007
Jarno - End of 2006
Heidfeld - End of 2008
Villeneuve - End of 2006
Coulthard - End of 2006
Klien - End of 2006
(Source: F1 Racing, April 2006)

Also, I remember reading that Webber's Williams contract expires at the end of this year. Add Massa's and Schumacher's names to that list, and we have 7 drivers whose contracts expire at the end of this season.

Principessa

The story about Renault showing interest in Schumi was out of an interview with his manager Weber...so I think that he knows what he's saying!

f1.redbaron

Principessa wrote:The story about Renault showing interest in Schumi was out of an interview with his manager Weber...so I think that he knows what he's saying!
I knew about Weber's comments, but I think that I heard some rumors about it just shortly before what Weber said. Or is it just me? (yeah, it's probably me)

But, even better. Mr. 20 per cent, would never make such a rookie mistake of revealing any potential offers...at least not this early. I believe that all of it is either a smoke-screen for a bomb Michael will drop on us, or the attempt to cause confusion and panic amongst the drivers (especially Kimi). Another argument that can be presented is that he is just simply trying to get a raise from Ferrari. I doubt that this will happen given Ferrari's financial situations, and Michael's age. Besides, what more could he get? How much more would he need?

Maybe we should start a pool. $10 gives you a chance to submit your entry of the 2007 driver line-up. I think we could make somebody a very rich (wo)man by the end of the year. :)

P.S. What happens to Rossi. How will that guy feel?

Principessa

Well, Renault won't pay Schumi's wages! They are too high. Renault didn't even raise Alonso's salery after he became champion...so I think we have to take the offer not that serious.

But what will happen to Massa if Kimi and Schumi team up??

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I agree Princepessa. Renault have a very good car and team, they appear to be heading toward a second title in both the WDC and manufacturer's. So why do they need to spend a lot of cash on drivers? When Ferrari first signed with Shu, they were a horrible team in relation to expectations and budget. They needed very badly someone like Shu to pull it all together. Renault do not need Shu, plain and simple.
If Shu wants to jump to Renault to hopefully capture another title with a third team (sounds fantastic in the record book) he would have to accept a huge pay cut. Not likely as long as Willi Weber makes the deals.

jaslfc
jaslfc

heres one way out there! shumacher goes to mclaren!! hehe

Jason

jaslfc wrote:heres one way out there! shumacher goes to mclaren!! hehe
No chance
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Tp
Tp

I really can not imagine M. Schumacher driving for another team (He's 37!!). Hopefully he'll win the title this year and retire on a high.

Spencifer_Murphy

Hey guys, long time no post lol. My internet has been down recently. Anyway, I just got my copy of F1 Racing May 2006 yesterday (I love my subscription lol) and there is a short article about the Kimi-to-Ferrari rumour:

"F1 Racing has learnt that Ferrari have paid Kimi Raikkonen $5million merely to allow them first refusal on his services for 2007 and beyond."

It goes on to say about how Kimi has made no secret about his fearing no-one and is willing to race against someone as quick as Michael, but Schumi who at 28 may not like the idea of a super-quick, 27 year-old as a teammate, saying:

"Indeed the spectre of Kimi's arrival may deter Michael from renewing his Ferrari contract."

Finally it rounds off saying:

"Perhaps the reason Ferrari were willing to tie up Kimi early with that deposit is that they know they need him."

And interesting twist to the tale eh?
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Reca
Reca

f1.redbaron wrote: P.S. What happens to Rossi. How will that guy feel?
“Official” answer is that apparently he wants to stay in Motogp for 2007 too because he wants to beat Agostini record of top class wins (14 to go, impossible this year) and he wants to win the title also with the new 800cc class and against the upcoming youngsters; another thing preventing him to make the switch apparently is that he doesn’t like the F1 paddock atmosphere and apparently he didn’t even like driving the car in Valencia because team was telling him via radio everything he had to do, another one I heard is that testing limitation wouldn’t allow him to prepare well enough because Ferrari couldn’t sacrifice test days for him.
These are the things journalists following motogp (most of them not exactly unbiased...) will tell you, and that’s also probably what Rossi himself would tell you.
My personal opinion, and I base it on having seen Rossi driving Rally cars several times since 1997 and having seen what he really can do behind a steering wheel, is that even if the explanations above are reasonable, the main reason he will not make the switch is lot more simple. But don’t expect Rossi fanatics to accept it, for them it would equate to heresy.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Rossi has earned enough already to be comfortable financially. I don't know the numbers, but he has to have a lot banked. So why would he go to something that he doesn't like or want? He's the most coveted rider in motorcycle road racing, and at his still young age, has the potential to earn a lot of money anywhere he chooses. Right now he's worshipped and adored in MotoGP, he's the king of the mountain. So to me, the only reason he would take up another form of motorsport would be on his personal pride and feelings. And no matter how you perceive it or phrase it, as long as Shu drives a red car, Rossi in a Ferrari would be Michael's bitch. (I apologize if my comment offended anyone, but I wish to be brutally blunt)
I think Rossi is following the right path, testing the waters and exploring options. But I very seriously doubt that in the near future, we will see him in an F1 Ferrari.

kkobayash

i'm really starting to get sick of all this speculation with kimi, schumi etc etc... everywhere you look its about is kimi going to ferrari, is rossi switching to F1 and so on and so on!!

I just wanna sit back and enjoy the current season for all the good racing it has produced so far.

And now i realise why Alonso announced his future so early as well...so that he doesnt have to keep avoiding speculation about his future and concentrate on racing. Seems to me like hes the smartest guy out there at the moment.

Principessa

Well, there wasn't a race for 3 weeks, it's logical that the press starts speculating than!

jaslfc
jaslfc

kkobayash wrote:And now i realise why Alonso announced his future so early as well...so that he doesnt have to keep avoiding speculation about his future and concentrate on racing. Seems to me like hes the smartest guy out there at the moment.
i think u are wrong there. drivers like kimi or shumy dont have to worry about their future coz they can practically race anywhere. and they are so used to this media speculation. for alonso announcing the deal is not the brightest idea. later on in the season he may be left out of testing and maybe get second rate service. maybe not intentionally but if im an engineer and i know my driver is leaving. i may not be as motivated. anyway this is just my thoughts