Toro Rosso STR10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Toro Rosso STR10

MartijnA3 wrote:
frosty125 wrote:I'm not an engineer but is it possible for that center support to get heated it would create a flexibility of the rear wing, altering the angle of attack on the straights.

Hi, first post here.

Wouldn't this mean the monkey seat would move too and become ineffective?
Notnecessairly. the monkey seat is very insensitive. It just has to curve the air up in the general direction of the rear wing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

wesley123
wesley123

frosty125 wrote:I'm not an engineer but is it possible for that center support to get heated it would create a flexibility of the rear wing, altering the angle of attack on the straights.
Neither an engineer but that sounds like a great way to some metal fatigue to me.

Not to mention imo it wouldn't have much point, rear wing flex becomes reliant on exhaust flow, thus, out of a corner you would begin flex.

Also, metal wouldn't return to it's position, thus you end up with a pivot that would bend, metal would cool down under braking(I doubt it would cool enough to begin with) and thus retain it's position, it wouldn't return to it's position in a similar way a specifically designed carbom lay-up would. Thus, you end up with a pillar that is flexed a little more every time load is put through it, it also gets weaker every time it happens. You quickly get a pillar that isn't strong enough to carry the load of the rear wing anymore.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

gambler
gambler

Clever engineering,but I would think that those varing changes would very hard for even the best driver to comprehend and then use it to an advantage. Unless it flexed exactly the same at every speed and condition.

ndanger
ndanger

gambler wrote:Clever engineering,but I would think that those varing changes would very hard for even the best driver to comprehend and then use it to an advantage. Unless it flexed exactly the same at every speed and condition.
Seems like a good correlation with heat and speed, high heat (high engine load) while accelerating vs low heat low load de-accelerating...

timbo
timbo

ndanger wrote:
gambler wrote:Clever engineering,but I would think that those varing changes would very hard for even the best driver to comprehend and then use it to an advantage. Unless it flexed exactly the same at every speed and condition.
Seems like a good correlation with heat and speed, high heat (high engine load) while accelerating vs low heat low load de-accelerating...
Typical braking even lasts only a few seconds. Over that time support must cool down and contract. I do not think it is realistic.
I think people read too much into that. That's just an elegant solution to get a single strut and an exhaust. Asymmetric Lotus was the same last year. People using Y-lon are adding drag and weight, TR just went smarter.

frosty125
frosty125

I wasn't actually thinking about it in that way. I was think thinking about a concept where the high exhaust gasses make the support more malleable. At peak downforce levels on a straight the wing would start to pivot.

roadie

OK back to the car and not theories!

Scarbs is suggesting that there is a ~15mm fully enclosed slot in the exhaust that the rear wing support passes through.

I certainly wouldn't want to be heating a load bearing device.

JDC123
JDC123

There is a good article with a clear picture of the support running through the exhaust here: http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/display/10070

hollus

The image referred to:
Shroud or no shroud around the structural bit, I fail to see how the thing will ever cool down. It must get very hot eventually, even inside the shroud, where is cooling going to come from?
Rivals, not enemies.

Blackout

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1 4 Std.Vor 4 Stunden
Toro rosso run this chevron shaped oil cooler fed from the roll hoop inlet

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Blackout

Blackout

Extreme-heat-engine-cover they tested in the last day of Barcelona and in Sepang. Looks like a Venturi tunnel.

atlantis
atlantis

I'm amazed by Toro Rosso's ability to bring fresh ideas and new concepts to every race.
And the car looks strong too!

tmoneyr007
tmoneyr007

Toro Rosso looks fantastic this year!

They look to have a unique coke bottle area with a top and bottom ridge line in the center of the taper to the rear gearbox.