Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bdr529

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

AlainProst wrote:
bdr529 wrote:A little help for the colour blind Please
What is this chin strap thing, is it a bar? or part of the crash structure?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/ ... ilrx38.jpg
It's the S-duct air inlet
I can see the air inlet made out of carbon fiber running up the front of the bulkhead, I just can't see that thing that looks like a chin strap in front of it.

Again thanks for the help, I know it's difficult trying to figure out what it is I can and can't see
Everyday is 50 shades of grey and not in the fun way :D

Blackout

Looks very cool

wesley123
wesley123

What would the point of that shape be? Apart from the "better aero" of course.

Looks to me like the bend creates some sort of pocket and I guess this in turn further encourages airflow under the tub to flow freely down the sides of the car?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

rowano
rowano

That is a serious amount of rake on the red bull

McMrocks
McMrocks

When you look at the second picture from the top you can see not that much rake. Of course there is still a lot but less than in the last or first picture. I think the speed the car was traveling with when the photo was taken plays a big role. In the first and last picture the car is pretty slow thus little downforce pushing it down. Plus in the first pic the driver might push the brake pedal. So if you talk about how much rake a car has you have to consider the circumstances.

Apart from that i'd say that Mercedes is running almost as much rake if not even more than that.

Blackout

ringo wrote:
Blackout wrote:2014 RB10
http://i59.servimg.com/u/f59/14/79/55/26/red-bu10.jpg

Imagine if this was the actual intercooler (water-air) :mrgreen:
http://www11.pic-upload.de/12.03.15/cateinta7ra.jpg
Much closer to turbo, much closer to engine, smaller sidepods etc etc
Ferrari and Mercedes arent crazy nor dumb...
They are closer in 2014 blackout. And the inlet air is heat by the exhuast below. 2015 version is upstream and further.
I think we can safely say your are wrong here black out.
Can't see why the 2014 air inlet would be heat by exhausts more than 2015... dont just look at the distance sparating them.
As I said, basically the RB11 exhaust and intercooler lie in the same room with no separations but the heat chieldings... And the distance between them is small. While the RB10 exhausts and intercooler were basically placed in two different chambers thanks to that very Neweysque layout. They had the ordinary heat chieldings, the sidepod air tunnel and the bodywork to separate them...

After 2014 I was expecting two different scenarios*; either RBR keeps that quite bold engine+cooling system layout which seemd to be a nice compromise between a clasical layout and a Ferrari/Merc layout, or RBR and Renault follow the reds and the silvers arrows and produce a similar more integrated all-in-one PU.
But it seems RBR decided to step back and adopt a very conservative Caterham layout. :mrgreen:

At least for the firts races...

*Toro Rosso has followed one of those two scenarios it seems...

charlex

After McLaren performance the Horner's dream of having an own RB engine is gone

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

FP3

Coefficient
Coefficient

rowano wrote:That is a serious amount of rake on the red bull
I think that picture is taken during a breaking event.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Blackout

Better angle.

H2H
H2H

The packaging looks amazing. So tidy, so smooth. =D>

JDC123
JDC123

That gold coloured piped going from the air intake down to the rear wing centre support is interesting. Does anyone have any other pictures of this or know if this is just something used on the car whilst in the garage?

ringo

Having a second look on it, it is in fact hydraulic hose for the DRS. As i am not seeing any other hoses going toward the DRS from anywhere else on the car. Initially it looked like clear rubber, but it's in fact hard hose wrapped in some gold material, maybe for heat rejection.
For Sure!!

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

JDC123 wrote:
That gold coloured piped going from the air intake down to the rear wing centre support is interesting. Does anyone have any other pictures of this or know if this is just something used on the car whilst in the garage?
This was discussed some pages before... it should be the pipe for DRS actuator.