Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
McMrocks
McMrocks

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

PlatinumZealot wrote:Maybe the entire nose cone can be shorter relative to the front chassis template if you modify the suspension. It would be impossible to get it shorter relative to the leading edge of the front wing though.
It'd change the whole car. If you move the front wheels backwards you have to change the floor/splitter/t-tray too. T-tray is deemed to start 330mm behind the front wheel centre line.

matt_s
matt_s

turbof1 wrote:It's the biggest undertaking since a long time, during a season (I want to stress on that: during a season). This is certainly doable if you are able to work a whole year on the project, with the car only being produced during the winter.
What if they have a new package that was the main goal from the start? Something akin to STR starting testing with a stop-gap car until they could bring the huge update package.

Not that I have strong inclination either way as to whether this new RB is happening or not.

turbof1

matt_s wrote:
turbof1 wrote:It's the biggest undertaking since a long time, during a season (I want to stress on that: during a season). This is certainly doable if you are able to work a whole year on the project, with the car only being produced during the winter.
What if they have a new package that was the main goal from the start? Something akin to STR starting testing with a stop-gap car until they could bring the huge update package.

Not that I have strong inclination either way as to whether this new RB is happening or not.
The difference is that Toro Rosso never made changes to the 2015 chassis, and the old aero package was used to give a reliable and stable platform to its young drivers to make loads of laps before switching to the new package. The first package hence was never an optimized one, nor was ever claimed to be. It was simply a package to do some mileage, probably with only very low cfd and windtunnel testing, if any at all. You could infact compare this to Force India running with its 2014 car.

It's a different matter for Red Bull if they wish to switch to Mercedes nose. I have to say though that "possibility" became more of a tangen. I really don't see that happening. Rather, I just see them chipping away at their current nose.
#AeroFrodo

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

As Turbo had already mentioned the problem for Red Bull in adopting the shorter nose is to do with the chassis/bulkhead/nose slope. I'm not convinced they've had anywhere near as many crash tests as has been reported but I'm not surprised it's a significant number. Don't get too hung up on the nose when we see the first images from Barcelona though I'm more interested in the suspension geometry changes they make. They were clearly trying to force something with the RB11 that hasn't come off and now they are back pedaling (which has exacerbated their braking issues caused problems with the tyres and maybe even damaged their aero ). Note in the picture below though that the RB11's bulkhead like the MR03 features a metal insert at the front, now is this for installation stiffness or so they can make ad hoc changes to the suspension etc layout?.. (I'm banking on the latter).

We are either going to be extremely dissapointed with the lack of updates on the RB11 in Barcelona or this could be the first time we have truly seen an almost B Spec car for quite some time.
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

fawe4
fawe4

By the way, how many teams are now using those new springs?

ME4ME

Really exited about this rumoured upgrade package. I hope they can take a massive step forwards. A lot has been said about Renaults engine troubles, but Red Bull hasn't delivered with the chassi etc either. It's weird to think that only two years ago this team was the best, by many definitions. I hope they can reinvent some of that brilliance and start making progress.

PlatinumZealot

fawe4 wrote:By the way, how many teams are now using those new springs?
The carbon fibre springs?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I think they mean those belleville springs.

fawe4
fawe4

3jawchuck wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Jup, that picture reminded me of them.

grettu
grettu

I think the problem of RB11 is that Adrian Newey was less involved than previous years in this project. When such a genius stop to work hard you notice the difference.

ME4ME

I don't think Redbulls performance is that negativly effected by Newey's reduced involvement, but rather the restructuring of internal dynamics and how the team works. In the past Newey had full control and "steered the ship" in the right direction. Now they have a team of 4-5 people making the calls, and they need a bit of time to make that change. Besides, Renaults issues have probably taken focus away from where it should be.

PlatinumZealot

3jawchuck wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Yeah those; some are made of carbon fibre these days.

PlatinumZealot

grettu wrote:I think the problem of RB11 is that Adrian Newey was less involved than previous years in this project. When such a genius stop to work hard you notice the difference.
The car is quite good. I think it's that engine config they are running. Poor drive-ability.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

I agree with what Somers said that they have changed the front suspension geometry which is not working out for them and maybe has effected aero. That is what is causing the braking issue.

I don't think "Newey's less involvement" or "4-5 people making calls" has any effect on this years car.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

gandharva

AMUS reports that the short nose is now official. They passed the FIA crashtest last week in 4. try.