Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kooleracer
kooleracer

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

Mr.G wrote:Not much optimistic.
You shouldn't be Spain should suite the Mercedes a lot, Mercedes has a lot of downforce which means a lot of drag. But because Spain is mainly corners I think the advantage of Mercedes will be bigger then in Bahrain. We might see a new monkey seat. Mercedes still has a really quick car.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Mr.G

I just referring to the "tone" of the news. Not much excitement, careful... I still count with Mercedes to be quite strong and just hoping for better Ferrari.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

elf341
elf341

Well, it's not so much about the downforce, but Barcelona is one of the real tracks that rewards aerodynamic efficiency, those able to run more downforce per unit drag. The W06's real problem is the same as in Bahrain, Barcelona is a very abrasive track - not as much as Bahrain, but still they will probably have the same issues with stint length.

I only just realised that last year the W05 ran many of the abrasive tracks: Malaysia, Bahrain, Barcelona, Silverstone with FRIC - this may be why in the space of just one year we've gone from utterly dominant 1-2 to battling to get the win in these tracks so far.

Moose
Moose

elf341 wrote:Well, it's not so much about the downforce, but Barcelona is one of the real tracks that rewards aerodynamic efficiency, those able to run more downforce per unit drag. The W06's real problem is the same as in Bahrain, Barcelona is a very abrasive track - not as much as Bahrain, but still they will probably have the same issues with stint length.

I only just realised that last year the W05 ran many of the abrasive tracks: Malaysia, Bahrain, Barcelona, Silverstone with FRIC - this may be why in the space of just one year we've gone from utterly dominant 1-2 to battling to get the win in these tracks so far.
No, the reason is simple - Ferrari's car was solid other than the ERS unit. Now they've fixed the ERS, and it's demonstrating just how good it (plus upgrades) are.

Merc are still the same distance ahead of the other teams (roughly).

Morteza

New Fins around the barge boards

New cooling duct low on the sidepod

Little vanes on the rear crash structure

Via @ScarbsF1
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SectorOne

cooling inlet or some aero feature? Maybe works in unison with new fins?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

The little vanes on the crash structure are so cute! I'm surprised it is legal honestly.

fawe4
fawe4

BanMeToo wrote:The little vanes on the crash structure are so cute! I'm surprised it is legal honestly.
You sure they are?

Moose
Moose

fawe4 wrote:
BanMeToo wrote:The little vanes on the crash structure are so cute! I'm surprised it is legal honestly.
You sure they are?
I'm pretty sure Mercedes are, or they wouldn't have put them on the car ;)

elf341
elf341

Moose wrote:Merc are still the same distance ahead of the other teams (roughly).
Yes, this is a strong point. In fact, Williams look perhaps a bit weaker relatively?

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

fawe4
fawe4

Moose wrote:
fawe4 wrote:
You sure they are?
I'm pretty sure Mercedes are, or they wouldn't have put them on the car ;)
They also put version one camera mounts on the car and thought them legal, but were forced changing them in the end.

McMrocks
McMrocks

Don't think it is illegal. The rules leave a 150mm wide area underneath the rear wing where teams can do everything. It's the same rule that allows monkey seats. Though the rule was originally put in place to allow rear wing supports (?)

otbsti

They had similar vanes on the rear crash structure last year at some point I believe. They aren't illegal.
"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44