Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

I'd be eager to wager that the rear end is sliding at least a little bit to cause this. Very much doubt it is just tire and bumps alone.

RicME85

Was watching FP1 when that happened, Crofty but especially Di Resta couldn't put their finger on why it was happening. That tyre wobble was at the hairpin on Hamilton's car which eventually spun. Di Resta wasn't sure if it was wobbling on entry and that caused the spin or if the car lost traction and the wobble was because of the rear stepping out.

Any which way, its certainly the most extreme case of it I have seen.

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

This way? Or that way?

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

atanatizante

Do you have a picture with the rear brake, coz there are rumors they took precautionary measures from last year incidents, now having a more conventional brake disk, pads (4) and calipers ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Morteza

Mercedes F1 W06 Hybrid - Montreal engine cover

© Giorgio Piola
Formula1.com wrote: In Canada Mercedes have introduced a bonded section on the engine cover (upper drawing), that could be considered a minor development over the previous iteration (lower drawing). In fact the bulge hides a larger radiator that improves cooling and therefore reliability, on a circuit where last year the team had a problem with the ERS overheating. Canada and the next round in Austria are the most severe venues for cooling the ERS package, because of the multiple heavy braking events in quick succession.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

George-Jung
George-Jung

I heard a rumor on Dutch television prior to the race that Petronas also came with a new type of fuel with a significant power boost.. rumors say up to 30bhp, although I personally find that a bit too much, but I am not an expert.

A fuel war is going on at the moment..

Moose
Moose

George-Jung wrote:I heard a rumor on Dutch television prior to the race that Petronas also came with a new type of fuel with a significant power boost.. rumors say up to 30bhp, although I personally find that a bit too much, but I am not an expert.

With all the 30bph lumps being found by all these teams, both Ferrari and Merc must have 2000bhp engines by now.

Jordan44

Moose wrote:
George-Jung wrote:I heard a rumor on Dutch television prior to the race that Petronas also came with a new type of fuel with a significant power boost.. rumors say up to 30bhp, although I personally find that a bit too much, but I am not an expert.

With all the 30bph lumps being found by all these teams, both Ferrari and Merc must have 2000bhp engines by now.
Yeah. Really unlikely. Are you sure they're not talking about what Mercedes did in the winter? Merc HPP developed a higher pressure injector, and Petronas developed a fuel which works better at higher pressures, which they estimated to give them a 30BHP boost. That was their main area of engine development coming into this year.
Last edited by Jordan44 on 08 Jun 2015, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

What is a "higher pressure fuel"? :?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JoeE
JoeE

George-Jung wrote:

As always in F1, put limits in some areas, the teams find others to exploit =D> That why I love this gig

JDC123
JDC123

What are the holes near the front of both the upper and lower wishbones marked with yellow circles around them? I realise they are for suspension adjustments but does anyone know what exactly for? Camber maybe?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

They are the quick release fixings that hold the nose on, nothing to do with the suspension. The black frame that is supporting the front of the car in the photo is attached using the same fixing points - that's why there is a tool in the upper one ready for removal as / when required.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

tuj
tuj

anyone know why Merc has a carbon shroud over the brake cylinders?