2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mrluke
mrluke

Re: 2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

screamer pipes ftw :)

toraabe
toraabe

Well look at Lotus 88 the twin chassis car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC_f0XdpWhk

bhall II
bhall II

Just spitballing here: what about a post-Championship almost-free-for-all?

The Constructors' Championship is in the books, the Drivers' Championship is soon to follow, and that leaves two or three races for which relatively little will be at stake. It's not the first time this has happened, and it most certainly won't be the last. So, instead of just grinding out those races like always, why not spice them up a bit with different rules?

Reverse grids, reverse circuits, DRS everywhere, no two-compound rule, no fuel-flow and/or total fuel limit, sprint duels, relay races, maybe even throwback races, basically whatever teams can manage that's both interesting and requires only the components and resources already at their disposal. I think it would be fun, and F1 could really use a dose of something that's just fun and games.

Thoughts? (Have I finally lost it completely?)

SectorOne

Well it might be over for the WCC but it´s still all to play for in the mid-field. Not sure how they would react to those things :)
And reverse tracks will get very expensive for track owners, moving run-off areas around ;)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SectorOne

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-te ... st-option/
Formula 1 teams will have the option of running a triple exhaust layout next season as the result of efforts to make cars louder.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

bhall II wrote:Just spitballing here: what about a post-Championship almost-free-for-all?

The Constructors' Championship is in the books, the Drivers' Championship is soon to follow, and that leaves two or three races for which relatively little will be at stake. It's not the first time this has happened, and it most certainly won't be the last. So, instead of just grinding out those races like always, why not spice them up a bit with different rules?

Reverse grids, reverse circuits, DRS everywhere, no two-compound rule, no fuel-flow and/or total fuel limit, sprint duels, relay races, maybe even throwback races, basically whatever teams can manage that's both interesting and requires only the components and resources already at their disposal. I think it would be fun, and F1 could really use a dose of something that's just fun and games.

Teams get price money for scored points and championship position too, they would not like it. And to be honest, those last races aren't more boring then others.

GPR-A duplicate2

bhall II wrote:Just spitballing here: what about a post-Championship almost-free-for-all?

Typed the post straight after watching a WWE show Ben? It's a pity that Vinny is not running F1. :lol:

turbof1

Total Anarchy and Chaos. I love it. No fuel flow limit, no fuel limit, small races of 25 laps with unlimited revving of the engine. And how about this: the drivers have to run (as in: with their feet. Imagine them having to run Spa Francorchamps!) around the track for one lap to determine the starting grid.
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

You bastards have no imagination. None, I tell ya.

I don't know about other sports leagues around the world, but here in the States, leagues have all-star games, and the festivities surrounding those games usually include skills challenges in which select athletes compete against one another in events that are only loosely based upon the sport they play. For instance, Major League Baseball has a home run derby, the NBA has a slam dunk contest and three-point shootout, and the NFL does whatever it is Neanderthals do - domestic violence? It's all fun and games, and it tends to be popular with fans. That's how I got the idea.

For F1, it would be a bit like the Race of Champions...

SectorOne

Well F1 used to have this

The_table

?
A few of these would be nice....(With all F1 and GP2 drivers on the grid).

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

http://andriesvanoverbeeke.com/

Make it happen please F1.

f1316
f1316

bhall II wrote:You bastards have no imagination. None, I tell ya.

I don't know about other sports leagues around the world, but here in the States, leagues have all-star games, and the festivities surrounding those games usually include skills challenges in which select athletes compete against one another in events that are only loosely based upon the sport they play. For instance, Major League Baseball has a home run derby, the NBA has a slam dunk contest and three-point shootout, and the NFL does whatever it is Neanderthals do - domestic violence? It's all fun and games, and it tends to be popular with fans. That's how I got the idea.

For F1, it would be a bit like the Race of Champions...

http://i.imgur.com/AQeY50c.jpg
What I think we're really talking about here is a return of non championship races. So you'd still have to have the normal races run to normal rules in the interests of fairness to the entire field, but then you run a non championship race or two after the season.

Maybe this could replace the Abu Dhabi test? Maybe it gives Pirelli a chance to test tyres? Maybe 2017 concepts are tried or the effect of no fuel flow/higher revs assessed? Seems like it would make all the sense in the world and is completely within the dna of the formula.

notsofast
notsofast

Wanna spice up the last few races? Put Alonso in Rosberg's seat. That's a race of champions that many would like to see.

However, this topic is about chassis and engine rules. I agree that it would be nice to see F1 relax some of the rules when there's not much at stake.

mclaren111

Make Friday an unlimited Test Day at every Grand Prix [-o< [-o< [-o<