Amateur racing culture

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
RacingEngineering
RacingEngineering

Amateur racing culture

Good day. I would like to get informed about the amateur racing culture, especially in United Kingdom. As far as i know, if you love racing you should buy a car for 1000£-2000£, modify it and race on trackdays. I think it is expensive and i search for solutions to enable non-rich people to race on weekends with their friends. Please provide some information about the amateur racing culture. Thank you.

Facts Only
Facts Only

Re: Amateur racing culture

RacingEngineering wrote:Good day. I would like to get informed about the amateur racing culture, especially in United Kingdom. As far as i know, if you love racing you should buy a car for 1000£-2000£, modify it and race on trackdays. I think it is expensive and i search for solutions to enable non-rich people to race on weekends with their friends. Please provide some information about the amateur racing culture. Thank you.
You don't need to be rich to race in the UK, Motorsport isn't free but you can compete cheaply.

Firstly you cant 'Race' on trackdays they are non-timed non-competitive fun events. Also they are actually more expensive than racing as you burn far more fuel, tyres and brake pads running all day and they cost ~£150-300 to attend whereas many MSA event entry fees are less than this.

The cheapest forms of motorsport are generally competitive timed events such as Sprints, Time Attack, Single Event Rallying or Autosolo. For these you could easily prepare a car for <£1000 get all the safety gear for <£300 get your licence and memberships for ~£75 and entry events for ~£125 so £1500 would get you into Amateur motorsport.

Racing is generally more costly as the cars need more safety gear (roll cages etc) and the competitor needs higher lever safety equipment and licence and you use more fuel, tyres and brakes. Also entry fees start at ~£200. There are plenty of clubs like the 750mc running excellent low cost race series.

Have a look at the latest MSA magazine for a number of articles on Autosolo, Off Road trials and and other incredibly cheap motorsport.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

andylaurence

If you want cheap, then AutoSolo is definitely the way forwards. £30-40 entry fees and any road car is suitable, which probably includes the one you drive to work. The latest MSA magazine is a good start, as is the Go Motorsport website and the explanation of the discipline by the club that brought it to the UK. If you have a bigger budget, sprints and hillclimbs are generally faster and require more safety gear, but can still be done in the same car you drive to work each day.

strad

If I'm not mistaken the Brits have what's called Bangers...Cheap modified stocks.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mrluke
mrluke

Drifting, £40 for a full day, £2 per tyre, fitted. No MSA, no roll cages required, just get a rwd car and weld up the diff. :)

RacingEngineering
RacingEngineering

Facts Only wrote:
RacingEngineering wrote:Good day. I would like to get informed about the amateur racing culture, especially in United Kingdom. As far as i know, if you love racing you should buy a car for 1000£-2000£, modify it and race on trackdays. I think it is expensive and i search for solutions to enable non-rich people to race on weekends with their friends. Please provide some information about the amateur racing culture. Thank you.
You don't need to be rich to race in the UK, Motorsport isn't free but you can compete cheaply.

Firstly you cant 'Race' on trackdays they are non-timed non-competitive fun events. Also they are actually more expensive than racing as you burn far more fuel, tyres and brake pads running all day and they cost ~£150-300 to attend whereas many MSA event entry fees are less than this.

The cheapest forms of motorsport are generally competitive timed events such as Sprints, Time Attack, Single Event Rallying or Autosolo. For these you could easily prepare a car for <£1000 get all the safety gear for <£300 get your licence and memberships for ~£75 and entry events for ~£125 so £1500 would get you into Amateur motorsport.

Racing is generally more costly as the cars need more safety gear (roll cages etc) and the competitor needs higher lever safety equipment and licence and you use more fuel, tyres and brakes. Also entry fees start at ~£200. There are plenty of clubs like the 750mc running excellent low cost race series.

Have a look at the latest MSA magazine for a number of articles on Autosolo, Off Road trials and and other incredibly cheap motorsport.

Thanks for your broad answer. But my purpose is not just racing(as a hobby) but to find solution to make it easier for all people to race (as an entrepreneur). And i am making a research if it will be sustainable to start a business on this idea.....Example. You come to the nearest race track with your friends or alone, race all day on a car with good downforce and grip, have fun,throw out your men needs as competition feeling and speed, etc.... I am sure people will like it if there was a nice platform. My aim is to expand amateur racing but my budget is limited and i search for solutions

strad

ChumpCar .. You'd be surprised how much fun they have.
https://www.chumpcar.com/
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

RacingEngineering
RacingEngineering

strad wrote:ChumpCar .. You'd be surprised how much fun they have.
https://www.chumpcar.com/
No. I want to own all cars and give them as a rent. In champcar you have to have a crew with mechanics, with your own car. It is not good. Cars will be provided by me and they will be absolutely same. I just want to realize if it will attract people or not

Facts Only
Facts Only

RacingEngineering wrote:
Facts Only wrote:

Thanks for your broad answer. But my purpose is not just racing(as a hobby) but to find solution to make it easier for all people to race (as an entrepreneur). And i am making a research if it will be sustainable to start a business on this idea.....Example. You come to the nearest race track with your friends or alone, race all day on a car with good downforce and grip, have fun,throw out your men needs as competition feeling and speed, etc.... I am sure people will like it if there was a nice platform. My aim is to expand amateur racing but my budget is limited and i search for solutions
I think Go Motorsport have already beaten you to it (in the UK at least)
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

PhillipM
PhillipM

There's already a lot of arrive and drive race setups, and there have been for decades. And you aren't going to be able to do it cheaply.

RacingEngineering
RacingEngineering

Facts Only wrote:
RacingEngineering wrote:
Facts Only wrote:

I think Go Motorsport have already beaten you to it (in the UK at least)
Facts Only, you do not understand my concept again. It is not good when organizations require you to have a team and a car. It should be provided. And by my logic, if cars will be provided by an organization, it will attract much more people. Go Motorsport is also not a competitor for me, cause they require a car

Richard
Richard

You need to be looking at trackday packages like this :arrow: http://www.trackdays.co.uk/driving-experience/

Your cost will be financing and maintaining a fleet of cars, plus hiring tracks and transporting your fleet to those tracks. Your competitors have cars that stay at the tracks so they won't have those transportation costs. You'll also need to consider the add-on costs for insurance, PR, administration, refreshments, etc.

To be honest there are lot of companies offering this which means it's a competitive market. You'll need to do something quite different if you want to beak into the market.

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

Or you could build your own go cart track and supply carts. There are a few of those out there as well. Fun racing at "relatively" inexpensive costs. Plus more amateurs are OK having a spin or an off in a cart without too much personal or equipment damage. Try doing the same thing in a 2 ton car, damage is expensive and your customer base in way smaller.

RacingEngineering
RacingEngineering

Richard wrote:You need to be looking at trackday packages like this :arrow: http://www.trackdays.co.uk/driving-experience/

Your cost will be financing and maintaining a fleet of cars, plus hiring tracks and transporting your fleet to those tracks. Your competitors have cars that stay at the tracks so they won't have those transportation costs. You'll also need to consider the add-on costs for insurance, PR, administration, refreshments, etc.

To be honest there are lot of companies offering this which means it's a competitive market. You'll need to do something quite different if you want to beak into the market.
Richard, i ticked a 0-150 GBP range on website and there is absolutely no option. This is what i want to change. I study Master of Entrepreneurship in UK and i am aware of all costs. I dont like the structure here and want to change approach to amateur racing AT ALL. I want to establish a culture where in all local tracks will be suitable cars(identical cars) where you can come anytime and race just for 20-40 GBP all day(it is not difficult to find a low-cost strategy). I am sure that 90% people who love racing refuse this conditions that we have now and only 10% agree with it. I want to change it

Richard
Richard

If you are studying this you'll understand the dynamics of a competitive market. Nothing is as perfect as the academics say, but there is some truth that where there are multiple providers with multiple consumers buying a commoditised product we tend to end up at the optimum price.

So where do you see potential to radically change the cost structure to be able to drop the price? Lets say a typical package is for one car used by 8 people in one day, each person paying £100. That's £800 income for that car, how will you be able to drop that to £80 income for the same car in one day?

I understand a fleet of identical cars would reduce the price, but you'll be focussing on one product whereas consumers might want a range of cars - some want single seaters, others want a street car, others want a GT. Look at the list here http://www.trackdays.co.uk/experience/

Having said that, an alternative view is to say that the wide range of choices is a sign of a fragmented and confused market, so providing a streamlined consistent service would be a significant advantage of your offer.

Another area to look at is capacity. For example low cost airlines took advantage of spare capacity at airports to offer low cost flights in antisocial times, the airport filled empty slots and the passengers got more choice at a low price. How would this analogy work for tracks? I suspect many tracks could fit in extra days if the demand was there.

You'd also need to generate the demand. I'd guess the current market is limited by demand, the existing providers could easily increase capacity by buying another car or running on a extra day. Are there really enough people who want to have a tack day that would justify the work and effort you'd need to disrupt the existing market?

What it comes down to is that there are a lot of people already doing this, what would be different about your model that would make it viable?