Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

Ferrari has no lack of talent, they're putting their engine guy to be technical director, and although that seems like a strange decision, it wasn't just rushed and pushed through. What I think is happening is that there's going to be a bit more lateral flow of information from FCA regarding chassis engineering, and power train integration. It's possibly why they went the route they did.
Saishū kōnā

ringo

Good pics!
What a mess compared to mercedes!
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Story of Ferrari 2014 to 2015.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

aleks_ader

ringo wrote:Good pics!
Yeah. But it is reasonable good if we take the compressor positioning in consideration. I cannot see how could you implement better with that setup. Throw over winter bunch systems together, like VLIM, huge plenum intake, sufficient inter-colling, maybe even lower the CofG without broke the token rules is very hard task. Also is very hard to be smart-ass here of course.

This layout makes side-pod narrower. More narrower PU bay, even exhaust are "compromised" to make up some space for the rads and therefore for the internal air flow. And also as consequence effectively longer PU, maybe even the overall wheelbase or at least longer "midbody/rear subframe".

Of course next year will those concern about tokens disappear. So could we expect overhaul of overall concept of the PU?

In my opinion main pivot point would be aero influence (hence sidepod shape and rads positioning) of revised 2017 PU. Is Honda and Merc PU layout the way? If we considered Sauber decision (not that Sauber due its situation could use old molds anyways) was there whispers about big changes in that area. Even now when Ferrari has "engine guy" as technical chief officer is telling something. That "guy" will definitely not forgot own engine expertise. That could provide us with another point how important could became again relationship with aero and chassis department.

I believe this current layout doesn't have crucial huge disadvantages on pure theoretical power output. Maybe comparing factory Merc they had longer intake pipes and losses around that area (bigger turbo lag, complicated VLIM mapping, response mapping etc.) but that is it (at least what i could think of from engine power out pespective). If we leave the actual problems with turbine/compressor asside. This PU is in my opinion not that bad. Just refinement of performance, efficiency and its endurance - hence raising of overall Power output per distance could close gab even closer to cream de la cream of competition.

If i would be Ferrari, i would asses the Merc concept carefully and make decision if is worth to make gain. Spend resources when we had HUGE aero changes of the decade on mechanical shenanigans for just 3% of power (number is made up, gut feeling i wish could prove that) is pointless. As technical director i would made just evolution of PU and make best to support chassis side of the team.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

godlameroso

Saishū kōnā

Muulka
Muulka

I will eat a shoe if anyone gets 1,000 hp by 2017. They're all just too far away for that to be a realistic step. And it wouldn't be like the Italian press to hype up Ferrari's performance, would it? :wink:

FrukostScones

Muulka wrote:
I will eat a shoe if anyone gets 1,000 hp by 2017. They're all just too far away for that to be a realistic step. And it wouldn't be like the Italian press to hype up Ferrari's performance, would it? :wink:
pretty sure Merc is already at 1000Hp in qualy.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FW17

FrukostScones wrote:
That was denied by Andy Cowell

FrukostScones

FW17 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
That was denied by Andy Cowell
ofially denied? you know what tzhat means :mrgreen:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

PlatinumZealot

He said his focus is on still completing races with 100kg of fuel at the quicket pace possible. Not on mx power. And that it would be 2018 before there is enough development for both goals.
Ferrari is always being hyped up by the italian media. It is entirely possible that the engine can do 1000hp on the dyno, heck, even 1200 hp. But that doesnt meant it was done under regulation fuel flow. I am saying i would be surpised if ferrari find all of sudden 40hp in a few months at this end of the development. Even renualt will be running their new engine very cautiously until Europe.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Juzh

FrukostScones wrote: pretty sure Merc is already at 1000Hp in qualy.
Pretty sure they're not.

Pierce89

Seems awfully compact though. They didn't fully throw out the 2014 concept, I'd say.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

miket
miket

Pierce89 wrote:
Seems awfully compact though. They didn't fully throw out the 2014 concept, I'd say.
They could not throw it out due to some parts being locked from development and the rest of the changes restricted due to the token system. With the token system now dropped, they had free reign as so change the whole thing if they wanted, so if there was a area that held them back, its gone for 2017 =D>

Blackout

The Ferrari engine is cool and it's a kind of Renault size-zero engine. Both have the same turbo layout but Ferrari tried to optimise everything; their turbo is more compact because air is channeled to its compressor directly via ducts that briefely pass throug the V (while the Renault compressor has a disc-shaped airbox between it and the engine) and that puts the turbo closer to everything too; closer to the exhausts, closer to the cooling, closer to the center of the car, than the Renault... Obviously Ferrari goes even further and puts the intercoolers right in front/behind the V6 and turbo (while the Renault air-air coolers sit far away in the sidepods)

So the Ferrari engine is much shorter than the Renault (side view). And the distance between turbine-exhaust / compressor-intercooler-v6 intake is much shorter. The ferrari has a smaller frontal area too (no intercoolers in the sidepods, everything is hidden behind the monocoque's/engine's shadow)...

That's why the Ferrari PU is cool even if it has a conventional turbo layout. Ferrari tried to optimise everything and its PU is much more chassis-friendly regarding aero/drag and center of gravity atleast, on paper...