Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Blackout

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Driveability is better than old spec (and old spec wasnt that bad in that regard)
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/magnu ... co-737960/
Magnussen said he has been impressed by his first feelings of the progress, even though he admitted it was hard to notice any straight line speed benefit from the cockpit.
"To be honest the engine feels nice to drive," he said. "The driveability is better than the old engine. More power too.
"But from the driving point of view it is difficult to feel how fast you are going on the straight. Whether you are going 330km/h or 333km/h, it is difficult to feel.
"But the engineers will have it on the data and they will tell us later on. But the main thing is the power unit is driveable so we can continue just working as normal.
He added: "This power unit is actually better than the old one and we haven't had much time to work on it. Straight away out of the box it has better driveability – and hopefully the power is a good step as well."

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

gruntguru wrote:
ReoPTy wrote:Diesotto of Mercedes or TJi Mahle are designed specificly for diesel engines!
Mahle TJI is a spark ignited system for petrol (gasoline) engines only - not diesel.
whatever , is it efficient? is ferrari wining races? is it FIA allowed pre chamber ? no one knows !

Sevach
Sevach

Blackout wrote:There is a more recent Abiteboul interview but I cant find the english version, only the german and french ones.
BTW AMuS says new PU should also reduce consumption, enhance driveability, bring 0,45s in average.
In monaco, gains should be around 0,2s http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 55224.html
With Q deciding everything in Monaco even 0,05 can be crucial.

Motorsport.com has a similar article.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/data- ... ne-738172/

When even Red Bull is complimenting Renault... it looks good.

GoranF1
GoranF1

i cant say the source but i hear Renault has reduced gap to Merceds from 50hp to 20 hp
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

MSC
MSC

Is this the Ilmor Update?
Or is there even more to come?

FW17

GoranF1 wrote:i cant say the source but i hear Renault has reduced gap to Merceds from 50hp to 20 hp

Is this at 100kg/hr self sustained mode or 90kg/hr (or whatever the likely race fuel flow) self sustained mode?

papatel
papatel

Thanks for the videos. These V6 power units sound fantastic! Brings a chill down my spine when I hear it. Love the turbo sound and the lower pitch grunt to them.

FOM needs to modify where they put the cameras or mics on the cars. The flyby sound is fantastic...it's the onboard sound most fans complain about.

gruntguru
gruntguru

FW17 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:i cant say the source but i hear Renault has reduced gap to Merceds from 50hp to 20 hp
Is this at 100kg/hr self sustained mode or 90kg/hr (or whatever the likely race fuel flow) self sustained mode?
I think you will find there is no such mode i.e. all WOT running done at 100 kg/hr with fuel saved (when needed) by spending less time at WOT and more time harvesting eg "lift and coast".
je suis charlie

wuzak
wuzak

gruntguru wrote:
FW17 wrote:
I think you will find there is no such mode i.e. all WOT running done at 100 kg/hr with fuel saved (when needed) by spending less time at WOT and more time harvesting eg "lift and coast".
And the faster they go the less fuel saving they need.

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

MSC wrote:Is this the Ilmor Update?
Illmor doesn't design anything , their input is about 20% renault test bench facilities on new ICE pieces as reported by news

Webber2011
Webber2011

wuzak wrote: And the faster they go the less fuel saving they need.
Reminds me of my ex wife.

Our car ran out of water one time, and the temperature went through the roof.
So she figured that the quicker she drove home, the less time the car would be too hot.

Needless to say she didn't make it :x

toraabe
toraabe

FW17 wrote:

50 hp up during the winter + 35 hp up on the new spec
that is 85 hp up compared to last year.
Mercedes were smart on putting their people both on Ferrari and Renault f1 engine departments.
And you can see that the Renault engine at last is where it should have been last year...
So now the biggest looser is Toro Rosso.

http://www.formel1.de/news/news/2016-05 ... ate-bringt

Allgäu Schorsch
Allgäu Schorsch

2nd Training session Monaco:

Congratulations to Renault!!!!!
It seems to be what they say - and Renault did a good Job.

lio007

Allgäu Schorsch wrote:2nd Training session Monaco:

Congratulations to Renault!!!!!
It seems to be what they say - and Renault did a good Job.
Absolutely agreed, they did obviously an amazing job!

Pierce89

MSC wrote:Is this the Ilmor Update?
There is no "Illmore update " . Renault Sport has taken him on as an individual house.consultant.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher