2015 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2015 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir

turbof1 wrote:They actually tried to help Rosberg during the first pitstops, by getting him in before Hamilton. The second pit stop they did not, but they probably thought Rosberg was enough ahead of Vettel.
IMO it was never going to be enough - the first pit-stop showed that quite clearly when Lewis saw a 6 second gap evaporate into less than a second by staying out two laps longer [than Vettel] and had a slightly slow stop. At the end of the 2nd stint, the choice was either:

- pit Rosberg before Hamilton and cover Vettel, but that would have left Hamilton vulnerable again, possibly costing the lead to either Rosberg and Vettel, or just Rosberg - or at least put him into DRS zone of either

- pit Hamilton before Rosberg and sacrifice his 2nd position to retain the lead and track position with their leading car.

Favoring Hamilton at that point was a no-brainer. Rosberg showed he could pass the Ferrari earlier already. If they had pitted Rosberg first he would have probably undercut Hamilton which would have created a --- storm in itself.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Andres125sx wrote:Have you ever seen any driver going too long on a braking without locking up his tires?
I did. If you sense you are going to have a lock up, it's better to decrease the pressure on the pedal and avoid lock up otherwise you will just damage your tyre without any benefit. Longer braking without lock up -> longer braking with lock up.
Andres125sx wrote:He had brake issues, it´s obvious
No one is denying Merc' brake problems. Anyway, RAI had good enough pace to overtake ROS. It was just matter of time.
Andres125sx wrote:
George-Jung wrote:
What a great photo!

You can see it two ways;

1- Alonso jealous at Raikkonen and Vettel..
or
2- Alonso thinks "you can laugh now, but I will end on top.."

Besides the action in the front.. I think Alonso drove an excellent race too..
Move of the day for Alonso, unlapping himself against the leader Raikkonen at that time.
Second point for sure, he´s stated many times he moved from Ferrari because second is not enough for him and looks like Ferrari can only go that high, so only if a Ferrari driver win the WDC he´d regret...

Do you see them beating Lewis on the WDC? No way
The chances for beating Lewis this year are little to none, but why not next year? Alonso is not the person who should regret the decison. In my opinion, Ferrari as a family/franchise should be regreting why they didn't get rid of old office earlier. Anything between Todt and Arrivabene eras is black spot in history of Ferrari. Alonso is good and fast driver but political cancer.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

GPR-A duplicate2

MarkedOne8 wrote: Alonso is good and fast driver but political cancer.
It is really amusing to see how carelessly these type of attributes are assigned to individuals, seemingly, without having any personal experiences and only based on hearsay.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Did anybody find an onboard video with telemetry of the Q2 or Q3 run of one of the Red Bull or Toro Rosso cars?
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

windwaves
windwaves

Andres125sx wrote:
windwaves wrote:

Have you ever seen any driver going too long on a braking without locking up his tires?

He had brake issues, it´s obvious
Absolutely I have, where have you been ? It's obvious that ROS is in a deep crisis and the mistake yesterday shows it and will make it even harder for him to react.
Last edited by windwaves on 20 Apr 2015, 13:43, edited 2 times in total.

djos

I just watched the finish again and my god how lucky was Daniel having his engine blow with just enough time to cross the finish line!

That plume of smoke was so dense the commentators thought it was from the fireworks at first!
"In downforce we trust"

SparkyAMG

Somebody alluded to Ferrari highlighting Kimi for the best strategy prior to the race and using Vettel as a decoy. I don't think this was done deliberately in Bahrain, but I do think it's Ferrari's best chance of results for the short term.

Merc are obviously concerned with covering whatever Ferrari do with their lead car, which I think is all they need to do at this stage. They've shown that their tyre wear isn't as bad as everyone first thought and can go as short / long as Ferrari dictate. I don't think Ferrari will ever win under normal circumstances using this strategy as I still don't think the lead Merc is really pushing as hard as it could, but if they can keep splitting them like in Bahrain then they'll be first in line to pick up on DNFs.

What's also interesting is the difference between the Merc and Ferrari engines. I think their race modes have a similar amount of usable Power (ie lap after lap), but the Merc engine can go into God mode for a lap or two (ie qualy and for overtakes/defending), which is why Rosberg caught and passed the Ferrari's so easily. Merc seem to have better traction out of corners too. Ferrari are almost there, but not quite.

ab_f1
ab_f1

Worth my 2 cents. Mercs seem to be driving to a laptime because of the break issue. That would explain why Raikonen was able to match Hamilton on 2nd stint. It will also explain why Hamilton did not put in any hot laps similar to China after Vettel's undercut. I think Mercedes needed to fix degradation issues from Friday and the solution wasat the cost of risking brakes unless ran to a laptime.

Phil

SparkyAMG wrote:Somebody alluded to Ferrari highlighting Kimi for the best strategy prior to the race and using Vettel as a decoy. I don't think this was done deliberately in Bahrain, but I do think it's Ferrari's best chance of results for the short term.
I agree. Vettels tyres started to drop earlier relative to the Mercedes, so at that point, it was clear that the Ferrari wouldn't be able to go longer than the Merc on either stint and gain an advantage there. So the logical move was to try an undercut which worked great. Doing so with both drivers would have only made things complicated for themselves, as both Kimi and Vettel would be fighting among themselves instead of challenging the Merc. Getting Kimi on an alternative strategy was brilliant, as it put him into clean air and because Merc were occupied covering Vettel, they stayed on the OOP strategy making Kimi's even more effective.
SparkyAMG wrote:Merc are obviously concerned with covering whatever Ferrari do with their lead car, which I think is all they need to do at this stage. They've shown that their tyre wear isn't as bad as everyone first thought and can go as short / long as Ferrari dictate. I don't think Ferrari will ever win under normal circumstances using this strategy as I still don't think the lead Merc is really pushing as hard as it could, but if they can keep splitting them like in Bahrain then they'll be first in line to pick up on DNFs.
It's really interesting. On one hand, covering Vettel and cutting their stints short obviously paid out for Mercedes as they secured the win and managed to get 3rd with their 2nd driver (and nearly a 1&2). So even though they slightly outside their comfort zone, they still ended the race in a very good way.

If they had not cut their stints short and not covered Vettel - then Vettel would have ended in the lead at some point. The big question then would be if they would have had enough to pass him on track. Seeing Rosberg overtake Vettel multiple times would suggest so, so either way, I think Mercedes would have come flying by. This may not work on all tracks though - some tracks, the DRS zones are less effective, so they can't do it on all tracks. I think come mid season, it will be interesting to see how they will fair.

Mercedes is at a definite disadvantage though; They have two drivers who are potential WDC candidates - and they are a German team. So they will not abandon Rosberg. This also means they will try to give both drivers equal status and a fair shot at winning a grand-prix, which will put them at risk if Ferrari are happy to play both their drivers as pawns to get ahead. They might not have planned this in Bahrain, but Bahrain showed nicely how it could work. At some point, Mercedes will have to decide if it's more important to retain a fair battle ethos for both their drivers, if 1&2s are more important than winning with one driver and to what point they are willing to take a gamble on strategies at the expense of either driver...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
It is really amusing to see how carelessly these type of attributes are assigned to individuals, seemingly, without having any personal experiences and only based on hearsay.
Alonso is not the best driver you could have when things go wrong but I think MarkedOne8´s comment is too harsh with the Spaniard. Ferrari´s problem was the management of the team and the bad organisation in general.

Changes done in those areas and take a look what has happened. No miracles here, just a better organization and very, very good engineer feeling free to focun on what he knows to do.

Vasconia

djos wrote:I just watched the finish again and my god how lucky was Daniel having his engine blow with just enough time to cross the finish line!

That plume of smoke was so dense the commentators thought it was from the fireworks at first!
There haven some harsh critics around Honda but Renault´s work with the engine is just terrible. And its the second season and they have two teams.

Kiril Varbanov

Animated inforacing review (lapchart) of Bahrain via Ferrari: http://formula1.ferrari.com/en/inforaci ... n-gp-2015/

Jolle
Jolle

I think it's time for Niki and Toto to sit down with Nico and say... Nico... you know, Felipe is a nice guy right? Barrichello had good races and is fun to be around? and Gerard was a nice guy too? or Coultard, he had a nice long career, even made it to the telly every weekend... well... Nico, it's time you'll be a nice guy too, you're a second driver. Ask your dad, what he experienced in 1986 and how his ambition ended his career at McLaren because, well... he had a Lewis next to him. Give yourself a break, give in and be a happy nice guy.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

GPR-A wrote:
Seemingly, I do have that personal experience but not in motorsport. Next question?

Anyway OPO strategy was logical to me even in China. You have to start with O because of good Q3 position. Then you switch to P tyres which need higher temperature in order to stay withing the window. At the end of the race, you switch to the O again because the temperatures are probably lowered by then. My POV is that it's just about temperature calculation. The difference between two compounds are not to be ignored. You want to have the smoothest possible transition between O and P tyre stints, otherwise it would require big amount of setup tweaking or even compromising which you can avoid.
Last edited by MarkedOne8 on 20 Apr 2015, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/