"Crashtor?" Madonado worst diver ever?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Racer X

"Crashtor?" Madonado worst diver ever?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32275593

Is pastor the worst Driver or unluky? Is he costing Lotus more then he brings in i mean how much does it cost to build a brand new car every GP for Pastor even if he does bring in over 30million. How much longer can he stay in F1?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Phil

Re: "Crashtor?" Madonado worst diver ever?

I wouldn't call him that bad. IMO he has become a bit of the scapegoat - you know, the kid at school who just received a lot of flack and everytime he did something remotely stupid, everyone would pick on him because it was popular to do so. Pastor fits that bill nicely.

At the same though, he is a race winner even if that's easily forgotten and IMO his win showed that he does have very good pace and race craft. He is just a very agressive driver - for good and for worse. Perhaps most of the time, he tends to overdrive the car, be too agressive which gets him into trouble, causes (avoidable) incidents, but at the same time, it is also what makes him quick when it does work out. Unfortunately for him, he is in a midfield car, so it will always be difficult to show his true pace and skill.

Just my 2 cents.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

George-Jung
George-Jung

Diver? :roll:

Jolle
Jolle

He has stupid and unnecessary crashes but is too fast to be the worst driver ever. I think that title (besides the odd paying drivers or clowns turning up sometimes) has to go to Inoue (being hit by the medical car is something genuine amazing) or Badoer (for crashing in Parc Ferme).

I think Maldonado watched "Days of Thunder" too many times as a kid and thinks he's Cole Trickle (Go out and hit the pace car, why? because thats the only car you haven't bumped into yet)

xDama
xDama

I think he's definitively up there with the worst drivers ever. But not only due to his mistakes.

If you take in account how much money his sponsors have invested in his carreer and the amount of single seater experience he has, it's mental to see all his mistakes and errors. In China for example, he overshot the pitlane entry 1x during FP and 1x during the race. You don't make those mistakes, after 12 years of single seater experience, if you're a good driver.

In some races there are some 'flashes' of quality driving, but in most cases it's just counting down the laps until the 'Maldonado-moment' occurs. I do agree he's had a lot bad luck with Lotus, but still...
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

SilverArrow10

Worst driver to win a race possibly.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Richard
Richard

xDama wrote: In China for example, he overshot the pitlane entry 1x during FP and 1x during the race. You don't make those mistakes, after 12 years of single seater experience, if you're a good driver.
ahem - Hamilton 07? Admittedly his team left him out until his tyres were worn down to the carcass.

Richard
Richard

George-Jung wrote:Diver? :roll:
It's an amusingly apt typo. In football (soccer) a 'diver' is someone who falls to the floor at the slightest contact, sometimes imagined contact. A bit like Maldonado's talent for contact and imagined spaces.

R_Redding
R_Redding

The Beeb ran a very similar story on their website recently ... A nice little chronicle of disasters that have befallen Pastor.

Its funny how they conveniently forgot to mention the marshall he nearly killed at Monaco in GP2 ... the one his rich daddy had to dig deep to make go away so Pastor didn't get banned for life.

But it would probably make him less inclined to give interviews to Auntie should the mention Monaco.

PlatinumZealot

SilverArrow10 wrote:Worst driver to win a race possibly.
I actually rather have Crashtor in my car than Kova or Heidfeld to be honest.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SilverArrow10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Heidfeld didn't win one ;) and I would much rather have kubica if you mean him!!
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

smokeduv
smokeduv

SilverArrow10 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Heidfeld didn't win one ;) and I would much rather have kubica if you mean him!!
I think he's talking of Heikki Kovalainen

strad

I'd say yes, but there MUST have been someone who was worse.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ojlopez
ojlopez

There have been far worse drivers than him, but he seems to crash in the most spectacular and stupid way he can find. The crash with Gutierrez comes to mind or when he crashed entering the pits.