2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 Ma

Maldonado will be the first to repeat lol.

astracrazy
astracrazy

I think the break force is all the drivers strength. I remember reading this article http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/11/j ... simulator/. Just some quotes from peoples experiences:
I was having to lift my whole body onto the brakes because they are so stiff
We were told Lewis Hamilton has a brake pedal which requires 2-3 times more effort to operate!

MercedesAMGSpy

Is the winter break already over? Back to back and then a 3 week gap, another genius move by F1.

PlatinumZealot

Andres125sx wrote: Looks like you missed the "Pedal force" part in the video.... There´s even a graph showing that´s the pressure applied to the pedal so no, no linkages or multipliers, 168kg is the pressure drivers do to the pedal
It depends on why and where you are measuring the force. Int he case of the NASA graph it is for a Human performance use, in the case of a race car it may be to help the BBW or Traction control etc (the force at the linkage is proportional to the line pressure and can be measured by the line pressure and the pedal force is very variable depending on the angle the foot pushes it)... so you I am open to the facts.. but you have to show me some first.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Andres125sx

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: Looks like you missed the "Pedal force" part in the video.... There´s even a graph showing that´s the pressure applied to the pedal so no, no linkages or multipliers, 168kg is the pressure drivers do to the pedal
It depends on why and where you are measuring the force. Int he case of the NASA graph it is for a Human performance use, in the case of a race car it may be to help the BBW or Traction control etc
What are you talking about?

We´re comenting a video Brembo provided to show some braking data, and they said the force drivers need to apply on the pedal is 168kg, as simple as that
PlatinumZealot wrote:(the force at the linkage is proportional to the line pressure and can be measured by the line pressure and the pedal force is very variable depending on the angle the foot pushes it)
If it´s not perpendicular then they´d need to apply a higher force, but knowning what´s F1 drivers position I can´t think a way they could vary the angle
PlatinumZealot wrote:so you I am open to the facts.. but you have to show me some first.
Brembo video: brake pedal force 168kg
F1T members: wow what a high pressure they need to apply
PlatinumZealot: No they don´t need to apply that force, linkages do it easier
Me: No, video states it´s force applied to the pedal
PlatinumZealot: show me the facts
#-o

:mrgreen:

ringo

Well they probably stomp the pedal and some impact force is applied. Impact forces tend to be double statically applied forces.
What I would like to know is can any of us, normal beings, brake an F1 car properly..
For Sure!!

Moose
Moose

ringo wrote:Well they probably stomp the pedal and some impact force is applied. Impact forces tend to be double statically applied forces.
What I would like to know is can any of us, normal beings, brake an F1 car properly..
I don't understand why you guys are thinking that this is huge force. Seriously, if you can hop on your leg, you can generate this force.

Whether you can do that while at the same time finessing exactly how much force you're generating is a different matter, but generating 168kg of force is not that hard with your leg.

SectorOne

Just go to the bathroom and get your scale, find a place where you can put your back against the wall and the scale on the other wall with some bend on the legs.
And you´ll see that hitting 168kg is easy peasy.

the problem comes when you´re gonna do it continuously for 1,5 hours. And on top of that you have the modulation of it as you go through the braking phase.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

cooken
cooken

Forget all the opinions and anecdotes. Here it is, with science!

Given the conservative numbers used it is easy to imagine forces well in excess of 168kgf.

Weather forecast looks pinned on 22C and sunny throughout the weekend. Should allow for a nice stable benchmark environment following all the upgrades.

NathanOlder

So if the sauber pedal looks to have a ratio of 3:1 and a driver applies 168kg of force the end force going into the braking system would be about 500kg.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

Hmm.. So what is the real number 168kg or 300kg? The daily mail was wrong? haha
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

f1316
f1316

Wow, we really must be desperate for something else to talk about now...how many pages in the race thread about braking force?

I'll give it a shot to steer back to the race itself:

Whilst the picture that has emerged since testing has certainly diminished the advantage it seemed Mercedes had, I still found this part of James Allen's testing analysis interesting re Barcelona:
the top speeds for Williams and Ferrari were similar and right up at the top of the tables, but at the same time the downforce dependent Sector 3 times for both cars were only a tenth and a half of a second off the Mercedes, which indicates a strong package for both cars.
My perception was that Mercedes biggest strength was in slow corners, but I am reading a few things of late that seem to suggest it's the fast corners where they gain the most.

Will also be interested to see how much faster they are vs last year and vs testing (they may well be slower than testing despite upgrades)

godlameroso

It's going to be hot race day, 26-27℃ with 55℃ track temperature. Furthermore it's a very high degradation track, particularly the left side and front left especially.

Mercedes just has the best corner entry and by consequence corner exit. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a fast or corner. If there's heavy trail braking and a tricky entry, Mercedes is faster.
Saishū kōnā

Andres125sx

godlameroso wrote:It's going to be hot race day, 26-27℃ with 55℃ track temperature. Furthermore it's a very high degradation track, particularly the left side and front left especially.

Mercedes just has the best corner entry and by consequence corner exit. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a fast or corner. If there's heavy trail braking and a tricky entry, Mercedes is faster.
Meteorologist?

National predictions states 23º, but predictions for more than 3 days are usually not reliable, so yours is a bold statement

George-Jung
George-Jung

ChrisF1 wrote:I would say braking is no different the muscle groups needed for a leg press machine:
I don't think so.. it comes more from the calves.. at least this is the case with brake pedals from normale road cars.