Refuelling 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
michaelclarke

Refuelling 2017

“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

michaelclarke

Re: Refuelling 2017

"five to six seconds a lap faster" sounds good to me.

Fires in the pit lane doesn't.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Just hire a water gun technician like indy...haha

bauc

Wait, Wait, Wait.....wasn't the ban of refueling implemented due to saving cost measure?!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

kooleracer
kooleracer

Refuelling can be save, if they use the DTM system. To old refueling rig was just to dangerous. I can't wait for 2017 to get my old F1 back. This great, lighter cars during racing faster lap times more noise, more downforce, freedom of tyre choice. F1 is finally going back to its roots.

Also FIA should make a standard fuel rig that every teams needs to use.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

astracrazy
astracrazy

I'm pretty sure with better mechanisms implemented it can be a lot safer. Combine that with a standard FIA rig.

If all these changes mentioned happen, I can't wait.
Last edited by astracrazy on 15 May 2015, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

bauc wrote:Wait, Wait, Wait.....wasn't the ban of refueling implemented due to saving cost measure?!
Yes. Mainly because of the size, shipping weight and power draw of the fuel rigs. However not all refueling needs huge fuel rigs... There is a device that can solves all the problems of the old fuel rigs and still keep the suspense and excitement of refueling.

May I present to you..

The Fuel pod!

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=21839

Specific comments on the technology can be posted in that thread so we don't clutter up this one.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

astracrazy
astracrazy

I guess with the exhaust now being well away from the re-fuelling location will help reduce the risk of fire too. Before they were right next to hot exhausts.
2008:

kooleracer
kooleracer

Also the should split the refueling and tyre change part. First fuel 1 man with the hose and 2 standing ready with fire extinguisher. After that the rest of the team can join in changing tires. Refueling shouldn't endanger the pit crew. I hope the reduce the fueltank to 40KG so that we are guaranteed a minimum of 2 pit stops so that we always have a sprint race.

The reason for refuelling is to cut the weight of the current cars during the race. The cars are just to lethargic. I hope in 2017 we go back to 650kg or even lower minimum weight.

Also FIA should add more equipment to a list of standardized equipement. FIA should provide pit equipement, like fuel systems, wheelguns, front jack, etc to lower costs.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

¿How many engines per car in 2017?....this is more tan important than the refuelling

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

I cant understand this point:

Tobias Grüner AMuS ‏@tgruener · 16 minHace 16 minutos
#F1 To make engines rev higher, the number of gears will probably reduced from 8 to 6. Increase of fuel flow for more hp was rejected.

kooleracer
kooleracer

PABLOEING wrote:¿How many engines per car in 2017?....this is more tan important than the refuelling
4 is more then enough, Mercedes is still on their first powerunit for 2015. The development will push for better reliability as teams understands the shortcomings of the current packages. Honda in MotoGP could have finished 2013 or 2014 with just 3 engines. To be frank F1 should push for 2 powerunit for the whole season. The technology is there, the simulations are getting better and better. Why should they use 4 or 5 powerunits? If they can make 1 that can be used for the whole season. 1 race engine and 1 practice engine so the fans aren't left out. F1 needs to think about cost cutting at the moment the powerunit is the biggest cost for the teams. For 2016 we should go to 3 race engines and 1 free practice and in 2017 to 2 and in 2018 1 race engine and 1 free practice engine.

F1 is about pushing technology, i'm sure if the teams would be faced with one race engine and 1 free practice engine they would rise to that challenge. Mercedes did 5500 during the winter test with 1 engine. That is 18 race's (5500/300= 18.33). So if faced with that rule change i don't think they would worry.
Last edited by kooleracer on 15 May 2015, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

Free engines in FP1¬2 would be great to see a lot of action the friday.....

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

I underatand the reason why you would want just 1 engine, but 1 race engine for an entire season would not be optimized for performance. People pay to see cars that are bred purely for racing, not for long term driveability. I want cars on the bleeding edge of performance, not detuned for reliability.

kooleracer
kooleracer

sgth0mas wrote:I underatand the reason why you would want just 1 engine, but 1 race engine for an entire season would not be optimized for performance. People pay to see cars that are bred purely for racing, not for long term driveability. I want cars on the bleeding edge of performance, not detuned for reliability.
So WEC cars aren't real racing cars? They do 5200km during the 24h and they are pushing for most of the race. Less engines doesn't mean that the engines are less powerful. Its just shows engineering prowess. A full F1 season with 20 races is 20*300= 6000km. If Lemans engine can do 5200km in one day. F1 should we able do that during the whole season. Also think about the cost reduction. In the F3 euro series they are already only allowed 1 engine.