Refuelling 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Re: Refuelling 2017

kooleracer wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:I underatand the reason why you would want just 1 engine, but 1 race engine for an entire season would not be optimized for performance. People pay to see cars that are bred purely for racing, not for long term driveability. I want cars on the bleeding edge of performance, not detuned for reliability.
So WEC cars aren't real racing cars? They do 5200km during the 24h and they are pushing for most of the race. Less engines doesn't mean that the engines are less powerful. Its just shows engineering prowess. A full F1 season with 20 races is 20*300= 6000km. If Lemans engine can do 5200km in one day. F1 should we able do that during the whole season. Also think about the cost reduction. In the F3 euro series they are already only allowed 1 engine.
When did i say WEC arent real racing cars? when you read, separate truth from your interpretation and this wont keep happening.

WEC is a class based on endurance racing. That is the entire objective of WEC.

Formula 1 is not WEC. If you enjoy the one engine factor then just watch WEC, but they dont share a common goal.

Jordan44

Agree with everything apart from refuelling. It's a step back. People want less strategy and more pure racing. Refuelling results in less.

kooleracer
kooleracer

But why do you assume that if F1 goes to 1 engine for the race. That it won't be a optimized engine? Thats what I was trying to say. We went from 1 engine for every session to 4 engines for the whole season in 2 decades. Why should F1 stop innovating in that regard?
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

kooleracer
kooleracer

J0rd4n wrote:Agree with everything apart from refuelling. It's a step back. People want less strategy and more pure racing. Refuelling results in less.

I think for safety sake, the should set a minimum time of 10 seconds for the stationary part of the pitstop. This will also encourage overtaking on track rather then pitstop strategy, also it safer for everybody in the pits no more silly mistakes with loose tires and fuel rigs being rushed out off the cars.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

kooleracer wrote:But why do you assume that if F1 goes to 1 engine for the race. That it won't be a optimized engine? Thats what I was trying to say. We went from 1 engine for every session to 4 engines for the whole season in 2 decades. Why should F1 stop innovating in that regard?
Because im a mechanical design engineer and ive designed parts for cyclic fatigue (albeit in different industries)...1 engine per season would require more margin to ensure it lasts the entire season. more margin means more weight per stressed component.

Remember the engines are stressed engines so youve got that in excess of the already highly stressed components from simple running.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Btw...The engineers could absolutely do it, but its just no longer an engine on the edge of performance. Again...theres a reason WEC and F1 are different series.

this is personal preference, but i dont watch F1 to see development in reliability to that extent. I watch it to see the fastest road course cars compete on the limit.

How many times have you seen engines turned down or a driver stop pushing this year just because of the engine restrictions?

kooleracer
kooleracer

sgth0mas wrote:
kooleracer wrote:But why do you assume that if F1 goes to 1 engine for the race. That it won't be a optimized engine? Thats what I was trying to say. We went from 1 engine for every session to 4 engines for the whole season in 2 decades. Why should F1 stop innovating in that regard?
Because im a mechanical design engineer and ive designed parts for cyclic fatigue (albeit in different industries)...1 engine per season would require more margin to ensure it lasts the entire season. more margin means more weight per stressed component.

Remember the engines are stressed engines so youve got that in excess of the already highly stressed components from simple running.
I get that, but if the engine has weight goes up a few kg, but if return you get 1 engine that can do the season and still perform at the top and engine prizes drop why would you stick with 4 or 5 engines if you produce 1 that is a little heavier that can do the whole season? This a engineering challenge that suits F1. F1 is all about pushing the boundaries, this will lower costs and also push engine innovation the ultimate F1 goal in my eyes. I think 90% don't care about if F1 uses 1 or 10 engines per year. So the sensible thing in my eyes reduce costs and increase engine longevity without forgetting the fans by introducing a free practice engine for FP1, 2 , 3 and maybe qualifying.

kooleracer
kooleracer

sgth0mas wrote:Btw...The engineers could absolutely do it, but its just no longer an engine on the edge of performance. Again...theres a reason WEC and F1 are different series.

this is personal preference, but i dont watch F1 to see development in reliability to that extent. I watch it to see the fastest road course cars compete on the limit.

How many times have you seen engines turned down or a driver stop pushing this year just because of the engine restrictions?
Indeed because the have 4 engines that need to last the whole season they are restricted. If they would have 1 engine that they know is capable of doing the whole season because it only does the Sunday I don't think we will the hear that message that often. Now its a juggling act, between free practice and the race and qualifying. If you have a race engine and and free practice engine there is no need to save the engine on Friday because its of no use on Sunday. 6000km for a race engine is not a really big challenge even for thoroughbred race engines. Engines nowadays are designed to "fail" because they have planned it for the whole season with the available allotment.

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Nothing is designed to fail, its optimized for requirements.

kooleracer
kooleracer

sgth0mas wrote:Nothing is designed to fail, its optimized for requirements.
That why i put fail in brackets. There are optimized for 4 engines for the season. Now optimize them for the whole season.

SectorOne

sgth0mas wrote:WEC is a class based on endurance racing. That is the entire objective of WEC.
Which is pretty funny considering the boys in WEC race like it´s a 20 lap sprint race while F1 races as if it´s a 24 hour race.

These news made my whole year, it´s gonna be absolute bonkers watching these new weapons on track.
5-6 sec lap time reduction =D>

Spanish GP 2007 - 1:20.597 fastest time.
Spanish GP 2015 - 1:24.681 fastest time.

1-2 seconds quicker then 2007 cars? Yes please.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SectorOne

kooleracer wrote: This will also encourage overtaking on track rather then pitstop strategy,
Don´t forget we have DRS now. There´s nobody that´s gonna sit behind if they genuinely can´t get past with DRS.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

kooleracer
kooleracer

SectorOne wrote:
kooleracer wrote: This will also encourage overtaking on track rather then pitstop strategy,
Don´t forget we have DRS now. There´s nobody that´s gonna sit behind if they genuinely can´t get past with DRS.
That true, but still you have to take away the safety hazard with refueling. Or they FIA has to say that refuelling the cars has to be done first after the fuel has gone in they rest of the crew can replace the tires. But doing it together will recreate pictures from the past with fuel pipes attached to cars when leaving the pits.

2017 F1 can't come soon enough for me.
Last edited by kooleracer on 15 May 2015, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

SectorOne

that´s a great idea because you still retain the skills of the tire changing crew.
And it´s super safe. No tire change until refuelling is completely finished.

zeph
zeph

F1 has really, totally lost the plot. First you limit the amount of fuel and fuel flow rate, only to introduce refueling? SMH

I am all for a tire rethink, though. The current rules are artificial and ridiculous.