More questions

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

More questions

1) Does anybody know how much a third driver usually make?
I know Luca Badoer and Alex Wurz (williams now, mclaren it was about 2 million) makes about a million now?

2) If you raced in f1 and then became a test driver, does that mean your f1 career is done?

3)Does anybody know which each antenna is for?
4) What is that hole near the turning vanes and the logo Reuters on the FW27?

Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild
manchild

Re: More questions

I have no idea how much 3rd drivers make. For rookies like Kovalainen or Kubica being third driver is a dream come true so I don't think that they actually have huge incomes. When regular driver becomes 3rd driver it usualy happens at the sunset of their careers but that is rare (to have ex driver with long career as 3rd driver).

First thing is not antenna but device that measures air speed. 3 antennas behind it are one for radio, one for TV cams and one for telemetry (not sure about the order).

That thing near Reuters logo is not hole but nose fixture (2 of them on each side).

m3_lover

The nose fixture, is it to take out the nose and put a new one in if the nose was damaged?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild
manchild

Yeah :wink:

Jason

If you don't take it out how your going to race? :lol:
back to topic, the nose cone is much easier to change than the A1 GP cars, A1 cars you have to use some kind of thing to open it. In F1 you pull it and it comes off the car.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

f1.redbaron

Olivier Panis is the highest paid test driver...he makes $3.5 million/year according to the F1 Racing magazine. Which brings up an interesting question...why? Zonta does, by far, a lot more testing, and he only makes a fraction of Panis' annual salary.

Jason

f1.redbaron wrote:Olivier Panis is the highest paid test driver...he makes $3.5 million/year according to the F1 Racing magazine. Which brings up an interesting question...why? Zonta does, by far, a lot more testing, and he only makes a fraction of Panis' annual salary.
If you calculate by Panis career I'm sure you will pay him more right?...Duh #-o which year did Panis joined Toyota, and when Zonta did? :P

m3_lover

I thought Olivier Panis retired from Formula one because at the end of 2004 (Japan Grand Prix) when he was close to retiring, Toyota decided to give a formula one car, I think the TF 104 as a present for all the stuff that he did for Toyota?

Scuderia_Russ

No, he continued to rest, I thought he was retiring at the end of last season and maybe continuing with the team in an advisory capacity.

Jason

He continued as a test driver for the team till today, he is 41(if I'm not mistaken)this year. I think Panis would retire from F1 in 2007 or 2008 :roll:

Principessa

m3_lover wrote:I thought Olivier Panis retired from Formula one because at the end of 2004 (Japan Grand Prix) when he was close to retiring, Toyota decided to give a formula one car, I think the TF 104 as a present for all the stuff that he did for Toyota?
Panis is still official test driver with Toyota! Together with Ricardo Zonta :wink:

This is on the Toyota site about him:
For Olivier Panis, 2006 represents his fourth season with Panasonic Toyota Racing after his two seasons as race driver and one as reserve driver. This season he will focus on testing, leaving Ricardo Zonta as the man ready to step in if circumstances dictate.

vyselegend

Yeah, I read in an interview recently that he was tired of tripping and beeing ready for reserve driver duties. He doesn't seem very enthusiast with staying in F1. The way he talked, it actually seemed like it's toyota wich hold him, as he feel ready for retiring.

Principessa

Panis will be testing tomorrow, side by side with Zonta.
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/2296
Testing is planned to carry on tomorrow with Olivier Panis and Ricardo Zonta.
I think Panis is only testing and for the rest only does some promotional work for Toyota. Don't forget that he's already an old man to still be in a F1 cockpit!

f1.redbaron

Jason wrote: If you calculate by Panis career I'm sure you will pay him more right?...Duh #-o which year did Panis joined Toyota, and when Zonta did? :P

Am I correct in assuming that you're suggesting that since Panis has spent more time with Toyota (which, by the way is not true), that he should be paid more money?

The truth is, both drivers joined Toyota in 2003. The only difference is that Panis had a race seat, while Zonta was the test driver. But even if what you're saying about a person earning more money because he'd been with the team longer, even that makes no sense. Trulli was driving for Toyota at the end of 2004, while Ralf didn't make the switch until 2005. Then, how do you explain the fact that Ralf is making 3x as much as Trulli?

I, personally, cannot explain Panis' salary. Some time ago, I've read that every engineer would be lucky to work with a guy like Panis. Apparently, his debriefs are extremely helpful to the engineers.

Other test driver's salaries (estimated for 2005):

Zonta - $1.0 million
Montagny - $250,000
Wurz - $2.5 million
de la Rosa - $500,000
Badoer - $1.5 million

(source: March issue of F1 Racing)

zac510
zac510

Panis still races in the Andros Trophy for Toyota but I doubt his salary for that is the reason he gets paid $3.5m.

Maybe Toyota just had too much money last year and had to get rid of some :)