Is the V6 formula a disaster for F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Is the V6 formula a disaster for F1?

Cold Fussion wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Sorry but it´s not me how talked about current PUs providing more torque than V8s, but F1 drivers
F1 drivers don't understand torque, they'd probably believe you if you told them torque is energy. F1 drivers and tv commentators don't have any real technical understanding.
But they have some knowledge about driveability, if they say V6T engines are more prone to oversteer, I can only accept it

Andres125sx

bhall II wrote:
Phil wrote:As I said about the two arguments; one is power delievery, the other is power availability at a given speed. If we take 3/4 revs - in the V6T @ 9000rpm (12000/4*3), it's ~690bhp, in the V8 @ 1350 (18000/4*3), it's ~530bhp. So as a result, the engine is producing more power (160bhp more) in a larger rev-range than the V8 does. What does this mean?
It means one of those cars isn't geared properly. :wink:

If, at any given throttle position/gear selection, the V6t has significantly more power in reserve than the V8, then either the V6t's gear ratios are too long or the V8's ratios are too short, because two cars with more or less the same horsepower should have more or less the same performance capabilities, regardless of torque/power band/whatever.
Except with V8s gearboxes were 7 speeds and V6T are 8 speeds, so they not only have a wider powerband, but also closer ratios (not sure if that´s the name, the step or rev drop between gears is lower)

Also, while cornering and depending on the corner (specially on long corners), some times drivers prefer using a longer gear that they´d use if on a straight because they´re traction limited. In that scenario V6T will provide a lot more power than V8s, and drivers will need to be a lot more careful about an oversteer because even on a long gear they will probably be traction limited yet

Andres125sx

Anycase this is becoming a "more torque is easier to drive or easier to oversteer" discussion, when that´s OT, and can´t find the relevance to the thread. V6T obviiously have a wider powerband, if someone is trying to say that´s a disaster for F1 I fail to see it

turbof1

I'm cutting the torque discussion off right here. If people still don't get that torque does not equal power, then we can't do more. I'll leave the posts here for reference to future offspring, or when Steven feels this went too far.
#AeroFrodo

strad

Well in my opinion if F1 continues down this path is could well spell the end of F1 as we've known it.
It's a long fall from the pinnacle.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

The end as we know it? I hope so..I hope this crappy formula ends.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bhall II
bhall II

Andres125sx wrote:I love that dilemma :P . I hated the trusty V8s that never caused any problem because they were tested for 7 years and any reliability problem had been solved. To me motorsports should always include some engineering battle, and F1 had become a motorsport with no engine prominence at all, nosense. Engineering battles means not only drivers go to the limit, but also engineers, and that causes reliability problems, something we didn´t enjoy in the frozen engines era . That´s how F1 is today, Mercedes did the better job, and all the rest need to catch up, what include some manufacturers trying to push the limits, test new solutions, and making mistakes (Honda)

I like it a lot more than frozen engines, it´s another battle inside same championship
I never particularly liked the V8s, either, especially after an eight-year span (!) that included multiple downgrades. From a technical perspective, that was boring as hell. And from a sporting point of view, I never understood F1's willingness to elevate the role of aerodynamics to a position of supreme importance by default, when it's highly likely aerodynamics is the least popular aspect of the sport. ---, I looooooooove aerodynamics, and even I thought it went too far.

My issue with the new power units isn't so much the hardware, because there's no reason in the world why a V6t can't be incredibly compelling...

The devil, as they say, is in the details, and my problem is F1's tendency to shoot itself in the foot with rules that don't make sense and its willingness to sacrifice "the show" for the sake of the manufacturers' marketing interests.

I don't care if Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, or Honda are able to profit from their participation in F1. Hell, I don't even care if they're involved at all. But, I do care when F1 allows itself to be held hostage by the demands of automakers, and I can't believe how easily these people cave in to that pressure.
ESPN wrote:"The initial decision from the engine working group was for a four-cylinder turbo to be introduced for 2013," said [Adrian] Newey. "The big driver behind that was Audi. They said they would come into the sport if there was a four-cylinder turbo, and that's what everyone agreed in order to get Audi in. They subsequently decided that they won't bother after all, thank you very much, and we were lumbered with a four-cylinder turbo."
:wtf:

Look at what this whole thing has become. On what planet is "ritualized fuel-saving" congruent with "the pinnacle of motorsport"? Yet, this is the way it had to be to make the money happy.

There was a time when a company could make a name for itself by virtue of its participation in F1. Nowadays, it seems like F1 is trying to make a name for itself by virtue of the company it keeps, and that's just weird to me, because I think it's totally unnecessary.

EDIT: Completely unrelated to the above, here's a decent writeup for anyone who'd like to learn more about the relationship between torque, horsepower, and gearing. We can't talk about it here, and rightfully so. But, there it is.
Last edited by bhall II on 13 Jun 2015, 04:53, edited 1 time in total.

CHT
CHT

Some say that the noise isnt the problem. I am just curious if this is coming from TV viewers point of view (where you can adjust the volume, tweak the EQ the way you like it) or speculator point of views as it does make a lot of difference. On a race weekend, spectators could be paying around $500 - $1000 for a grandstand seat, and obviously they would expect an experience they wont get it on TV, or anywhere else for that matter.

Motor racing is all about speed, noise, fumes and even sparks and fire coming out of exhaust. That is what make watching race spectacular and memorable. Technology marvel inside the F1 car can easily be appreciate in the comfort of your home on your ipad etc, there is no need to pay $1000 to show your appreciation at the race circuit, because you cant see them, you cant hear, you cant feel them or even smell them.

As for the engine, prior to V6T, engineers only has to deal with a NA ICE mapping, today they have to deal with ICE + Turbo + MGU-K + MGU-H.
And unfortunately 90% of those who watches F1 wont have a clue about what MGU-K and MGU-H means and neither do they know how its looks or how it works.

IMO spectators experience is paramount to the success of F1, because if you cant fill the seat around the track, TV viewers will naturally perceive it as a lousy products even if you think that is spectacular. This is just how human being react and the same applies to concert etc.

SectorOne

bhall II wrote:
SectorOne wrote:[...]
You're joking, right?
I´m dead serious.

The most taxing part on a driver is by far tires and aero. engine power isn´t even on the scale.
It´s incomparable to the cornering and braking aspects of a Formula 1 car in terms of being physically and mentally taxing.

Your quotes talk about aero and tires, not engine being easy-mode.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bidong
bidong

Is it just me? or should the DRS be removed?

I am one of the fans who wanted more overtaking during the schumi domination days, but not through DRS.

I think it's the V6T formula is not a complete disaster. They should open up the regulations to allow engine updates. They should just freeze the block and the head, and all internals should be renewable/upgrade-able. IN SEASON TESTING SHOULD RETURN with two cars with a possible T-Car per team.

Increase fuel flow as well to increase RPM. No one complained about the sound of the 1980's turbo-F1s because they were churning out 800-1200 horsepower a weekend. more horses, more noise.

If you think the formula 1 engine regulations are the problem, it's not.

Watch this 1.5 inline-4 turbocharged BMW F1 engine installed in the B186 from 1980.
Goodness starts around 10:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JIXPqgwQHk

bhall II
bhall II

SectorOne wrote:The most taxing part on a driver is by far tires and aero. engine power isn´t even on the scale.
It´s incomparable to the cornering and braking aspects of a Formula 1 car in terms of being physically and mentally taxing.
If I've mistakenly assessed your view on the subject, then I apologize. But, I don't understand the relevance of the following statement if you're trying to say that "engine power isn't even on the scale" of difficulty/challenge/whatever. Or perhaps I misunderstood the intent.
SectorOne wrote:Last time i checked the V8´s went like on rails while today you see huge oversteer moments in corners because someone got a little bit too excited on the throttle mid-corner.
The reason why I posted a long series of videos that depict cars spinning as a result of breaking traction is because I wanted to show how it doesn't really matter if a car has mountains of downforce, traction control, an electronic differential, and a whole host of other components expressly designed for quick stability, like the F2004, or is a generic rental with token wings and a very used engine, like the one seen at the "Yas Marina F3000 Driving Experience," a heavy right foot can easily cause a spin regardless. There's nothing new here.

At any rate, I think we've all oversimplified the issue, and it's obvious we all have very different ideas about what makes driving a car a challenge. For instance, I don't think Gerhard Berger would agree that power "isn't even on the scale," because he had to wrestle with a ~1,400bhp leviathan that weighed a scant 550kg and had --- for downforce.

Along those same lines, and given his early experiences with the dreadfully integrated 2014 Ferrari PU, I think Fernando Alonso might have something to say about my belief that current powertrains contribute heavily to the four-wheeled malaise that now passes for Formula One.

What does this all mean? I have no idea. But, I do know there's very little about the evolution of the sport over the last few years that makes me happy. So, it is what it is.

Emmcee

I find it a joke tbh, f1 is not about "being green" it's about flatout racing in these supercars. The sound is part of the whole expierence and to be lapping almost 10 seconds slower than 10 years ago is a joke.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

Andres125sx

bhall II wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:I love that dilemma :P . I hated the trusty V8s that never caused any problem because they were tested for 7 years and any reliability problem had been solved. To me motorsports should always include some engineering battle, and F1 had become a motorsport with no engine prominence at all, nosense. Engineering battles means not only drivers go to the limit, but also engineers, and that causes reliability problems, something we didn´t enjoy in the frozen engines era . That´s how F1 is today, Mercedes did the better job, and all the rest need to catch up, what include some manufacturers trying to push the limits, test new solutions, and making mistakes (Honda)

I like it a lot more than frozen engines, it´s another battle inside same championship
I never particularly liked the V8s, either, especially after an eight-year span (!) that included multiple downgrades. From a technical perspective, that was boring as hell. And from a sporting point of view, I never understood F1's willingness to elevate the role of aerodynamics to a position of supreme importance by default, when it's highly likely aerodynamics is the least popular aspect of the sport. ---, I looooooooove aerodynamics, and even I thought it went too far.

My issue with the new power units isn't so much the hardware, because there's no reason in the world why a V6t can't be incredibly compelling...

http://i.imgur.com/Io3vJbx.jpg

The devil, as they say, is in the details, and my problem is F1's tendency to shoot itself in the foot with rules that don't make sense and its willingness to sacrifice "the show" for the sake of the manufacturers' marketing interests.

I don't care if Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, or Honda are able to profit from their participation in F1. Hell, I don't even care if they're involved at all. But, I do care when F1 allows itself to be held hostage by the demands of automakers, and I can't believe how easily these people cave in to that pressure.
ESPN wrote:"The initial decision from the engine working group was for a four-cylinder turbo to be introduced for 2013," said [Adrian] Newey. "The big driver behind that was Audi. They said they would come into the sport if there was a four-cylinder turbo, and that's what everyone agreed in order to get Audi in. They subsequently decided that they won't bother after all, thank you very much, and we were lumbered with a four-cylinder turbo."
:wtf:

Look at what this whole thing has become. On what planet is "ritualized fuel-saving" congruent with "the pinnacle of motorsport"? Yet, this is the way it had to be to make the money happy.

There was a time when a company could make a name for itself by virtue of its participation in F1. Nowadays, it seems like F1 is trying to make a name for itself by virtue of the company it keeps, and that's just weird to me, because I think it's totally unnecessary.

EDIT: Completely unrelated to the above, here's a decent writeup for anyone who'd like to learn more about the relationship between torque, horsepower, and gearing. We can't talk about it here, and rightfully so. But, there it is.
I fully agree with everything you said here. Spectacular picture btw =D>

Andres125sx

Emmcee wrote:I find it a joke tbh, f1 is not about "being green" it's about flatout racing in these supercars. The sound is part of the whole expierence and to be lapping almost 10 seconds slower than 10 years ago is a joke.
I must have a problem being way too optimistic, but I don´t see the fuel limit as a try to be green, but a way to improve efficiency. May be the same, but it´s different, I see it from an engineering point of view, improving efficiency is a challenge, a way to make the most of what you have instead of increasing displacement/adding turbos/increasing boost/adding fuel/etc, that´s the easy way, improving efficiency is the clever one.

I´ve always admired japanesse manufacturers. With very limited power and engine displacements, they achieved awesome perfomances. USA is the opposite, with truck size engines... :mrgreen:

Emmcee

Andres125sx wrote:
Emmcee wrote:I find it a joke tbh, f1 is not about "being green" it's about flatout racing in these supercars. The sound is part of the whole expierence and to be lapping almost 10 seconds slower than 10 years ago is a joke.
I must have a problem being way too optimistic, but I don´t see the fuel limit as a try to be green, but a way to improve efficiency. May be the same, but it´s different, I see it from an engineering point of view, improving efficiency is a challenge, a way to make the most of what you have instead of increasing displacement/adding turbos/increasing boost/adding fuel/etc, that´s the easy way, improving efficiency is the clever one.

I´ve always admired japanesse manufacturers. With very limited power and engine displacements, they achieved awesome perfomances. USA is the opposite, with truck size engines... :mrgreen:
That is true but it limits the driver in the sense of being able to drive flatout like the old days. Alonso in Canada was a classic example, he just wanted to race and couldn't see the point of saving fuel and I agree, they don't have pace and now don't have the fuel consumption, that's pretty bad and alonso's frustrations are only what the sport is doing to the current crop of drivers, it's like lmp racing but a quarter of the distance.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.