Horsepower of the engines.

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
OO7
OO7

Re: Horsepower of the engines.

On Sky F1 Adrian Newey was being interviewed by Ted Kravitz and he basically confirmed the qualification mode gruntguru theorised. He said during this period the PU is run in a 'free load' setting, in which the MGU-H doesn't harvest, but the battery is drained (supplying the MGU-K) and the waste gates are opened. This of course is a description of how the Renault/TAG unit operates, but I'm such other manufacturers would use their systems in a similar fashion.

gruntguru
gruntguru

Blaze1 wrote:On Sky F1 Adrian Newey was being interviewed by Ted Kravitz and he basically confirmed the qualification mode gruntguru theorised. He said during this period the PU is run in a 'free load' setting, in which the MGU-H doesn't harvest, but the battery is drained (supplying the MGU-K) . . . .
The battery would also be supplying the MGUH.
je suis charlie

OO7
OO7

gruntguru wrote:
Blaze1 wrote:On Sky F1 Adrian Newey was being interviewed by Ted Kravitz and he basically confirmed the qualification mode gruntguru theorised. He said during this period the PU is run in a 'free load' setting, in which the MGU-H doesn't harvest, but the battery is drained (supplying the MGU-K) . . . .
The battery would also be supplying the MGUH.
Is that to unload the ICE?

gruntguru
gruntguru

No - that is to maintain boost with the WG open.
je suis charlie

Facts Only
Facts Only

Its not a GG theory that has just been confirmed. I detailed over a year ago in the "1.6L Engine Formula Thread" how teams were using a 'full power mode' whereby the wastegates were fully opened and the batteries used to run the MGUK and the MGUH to create the boost allowing the ICE to run with no back pressure. Its also been mentioned by drivers and other engineers in the preceding two seasons.

I appreciate that this sounds more like sour grapes but I'm just pointing out that its not a theory and not new, its pretty old knowledge.

It was also probably another woe on Hondas side, they were running out of ERS deployment so as well as not being able to run the MGUK they also weren't able to run full power modes as the had no energy left to run the MGUH either.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

If we really want to go down the sour grapes route then I suspect in that thread there would be speculation of the PU operating in such a mode before you joined the forums.

Pierce89

Cold Fussion wrote:If we really want to go down the sour grapes route then I suspect in that thread there would be speculation of the PU operating in such a mode before you joined the forums.
Actually, without checking back, I remember that Facts is the first person I remember mentioning running in that mode.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Abarth

This paper
http://vdol.mae.ufl.edu/JournalPublicat ... covery.pdf
was mentioned here
http://mccabism.blogspot.ch/2015/04/opt ... raris.html,

and a member posted it quite some time ago.
It contains the part of running with open wastegate to reduce backpressure, and drive the compressor with MGU-H. Around page 24.
It was published in April 2014:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... syMHGcUW71

ringo

I think it stemmed from the argument about the purpose of the waste gate and also listening to some video footage.

It's been commonly accepted for some time now that dumping the ES power into MGUK and MGUH to drive the crank and compressor respectively while fully opening the waste gate was the best strategy for a hot lap where storage beyond that lap isn't an issue.
For Sure!!

OO7
OO7

Facts Only wrote:Its not a GG theory that has just been confirmed. I detailed over a year ago in the "1.6L Engine Formula Thread" how teams were using a 'full power mode' whereby the wastegates were fully opened and the batteries used to run the MGUK and the MGUH to create the boost allowing the ICE to run with no back pressure. Its also been mentioned by drivers and other engineers in the preceding two seasons.

I appreciate that this sounds more like sour grapes but I'm just pointing out that its not a theory and not new, its pretty old knowledge.

It was also probably another woe on Hondas side, they were running out of ERS deployment so as well as not being able to run the MGUK they also weren't able to run full power modes as the had no energy left to run the MGUH either.
Well done for spotting that. I mentioned gruntguru because gg's posts were the ones I was most familiar with, particularly recently, but kudos to all those who managed to work out how these PU at least in part are being used. That what makes this place a great forum.

dren

Facts Only wrote:It was also probably another woe on Hondas side, they were running out of ERS deployment so as well as not being able to run the MGUK they also weren't able to run full power modes as the had no energy left to run the MGUH either.
If you read Button's quotes recently, it wasn't one lap deployment that was an issue, it was sustained race deployment.

They have the luxury to run a 'charge lap' during qualifying to fully charge the ES. Running every other lap during the race as a 'charge lap' does not make sense; hence running out of ES deployment on the straights during a race.
Honda!

Blackout

I wonder how many power one must add to this kind of engines, until the driver feels that the angine is more powerful?
How much horse power the engine must gain until the diriver notices an increase... : P
Because Hamilton says the new PU feels the same and is still very powerful but it's difficult to say if it gained more HP.

Juzh

Blackout wrote:I wonder how many power one must add to this kind of engines, until the driver feels that the angine is more powerful?
How much horse power the engine must gain until the diriver notices an increase... : P
Because Hamilton says the new PU feels the same and is still very powerful but it's difficult to say if it gained more HP.
Difference between 2016 renault PU and 2015 mercedes PU is vast enough (STILL) to be easily felt. Renault was estimated 80 bhp down on merc last year? Perhaps they're a bit less in 2016 but enough to be in palmer's words "definitely behind Mercedes on power".

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2016/ ... -on-power/

strad

Facts Only wrote:Its not a GG theory that has just been confirmed.
Thanks ,, I didn't catch it the first time around
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

Posted in Mercedes thread.

Mercedes are now closer to 50% according to the combustion engineer.

In my opinion this 50% is not achieved at full power because that would mean they have already reached the 1000hp mark (With battery assist) and 844 hp with the ICE. This conflicts with Andy Cowell's comments on the 2015 engine that is about 80 to 90hp less than the 50% figure would imply. I reckon it would be too big of jump for one year - and it would also conflict with Nikki Lauda's comments on the jump they expect for 2016. So I think the 50% figure is achieved but possibly at some other lower power mode. I could be wrong though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏