prefered engine

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Which Engine Do You Prefer

Poll ended at 07 Apr 2006, 23:15

V10
76%
V8
24%

Total votes: 21

manchild
manchild

Jason wrote:With 1000bhp or more you'll go smashing into the tyre barriers of turn 15 in Sepang, because you'll brake from 300km/h or more with 1000bhp or more I'm sure you'll go smashing into the barriers.
:roll:

jgredline

Sawtooth-spike wrote:Thats why you turn the wheels and go around the corner?
LOL thats what i was thinking :lol:
To finish first, first you must finish.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Jason wrote:With 1000bhp or more you'll go smashing into the tyre barriers of turn 15 in Sepang, because you'll brake from 300km/h or more with 1000bhp or more I'm sure you'll go smashing into the barriers.
Funny, the turbo cars managed to negotiate Monza's Parobolica.
Personally, the V-12's gave out a song that is truly beautiful.

Scuderia_Russ

Ranger, yer an idiot.

Reca
Reca

DaveKillens wrote: Funny, the turbo cars managed to negotiate Monza's Parobolica.
I’m sorry Dave to ruin that illusion but they didn’t, the fact is that you have been fooled all these years. The cars arriving there inevitably went smashing into the barriers. Then were immediately replaced by identical cars waiting under the sand. On tv with abundant utilization of special effects it looked like cars were negotiating the corner but they actually weren’t. In fact we still have a pile with hundreds of turbo cars right behind the tyre barriers in Parabolica.
DaveKillens wrote: Personally, the V-12's gave out a song that is truly beautiful.
In early 90s I was suffering from a strange disease that caused me to lose a few days at school each spring... I discovered that the air of the Monza’s park was the only thing capable to cure that disease... and was particularly effective while coupled with the scream of a Ferrari V12...

I can’t say if the V10 has the same healing effect because contemporarily to its introduction I went to Uni and the disease disappeared by itself, together with the compulsory attendance to classes...
coincidences...

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

:wink:

Tom

Is parabolica the last turn at Monza?

I'm sure it is but on the DTM yesterday one of the commentators mentioned it in conjunction with the final turn, at Hockenheim.

Just a little confused.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Yes, the Parabolica is approached at very high speed, and a lot of braking has to take place before entering it. Then the drivers can get hard on the gas and sweep around and out of it down the front straight. Very fast and difficult if done wrong.

Tom

I remember reading a comment by Bob Boundrant about the last turn in Monza, He could only take it flat every third lap because it was too scary, then on the last attempt he did it one more time, something broke and he awoke in the trees. The top of the car was gone, and if he had a seatbelt holding him in he would have been decapitated.
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Jason

You approach Parabolica at at 340 km/h then you hit the brakes and then down to 100 km/h or less, and then you storm nearly full speed into turn one
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

manchild
manchild

Tom wrote:I remember reading a comment by Bob Boundrant about the last turn in Monza, He could only take it flat every third lap because it was too scary, then on the last attempt he did it one more time, something broke and he awoke in the trees. The top of the car was gone, and if he had a seatbelt holding him in he would have been decapitated.
That might be old Parabolica (banking) rather than new Parabolica (Curva Poca) that is flat. Reca sure might give you better info but I remember seeing pic of the car that flew off the Parabolica and landed in trees (or was it only in movie Grand Prix? :? )
Jason wrote:You approach Parabolica at at 340 km/h then you hit the brakes and then down to 100 km/h or less, and then you storm nearly full speed into turn one
Which circuit are you talking about?
Last edited by manchild on 10 Apr 2006, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

It was only a test session so it was unlikely that this particular incident was filmed, but in hind sight it probably was the old circuit, it must have been late 60s.

johny

parabolica is not a hard braking, is a fast corner

Jason

johny wrote:parabolica is not a hard braking, is a fast corner
Hahaha.......do yuo suspect you can go through a corner without hitting the brakes and getting the gears down? :P
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The modern Parabolica at Monza is approached at over 350 kph, then the drivers have to brake hard down to around 160 kh, then mash it flat out for the remainder of the long, expanding radius fast corner before coming onto the front straight. It's a right hander, and trust me, everyone has to use the brakes very hard.