[KVRC] Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

SR71, Welcome to the forum and the challenge. I will need to have a chat with Chris on 2 teams - although from a practical aspect there is no way for us to check if you register 2 teams under different names and email address. But do not underestimate the amount of work required, and pace yourself as the season is over quite a few months.

Thanks for keeping the discussion going. I have been slowed down by day-to-day work and was not able to get as much done as I wanted.

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Hi. I went through updating the website over the week-end. A little better (I hope) but still very much a work in progress. And google sites can be painful in regards to layout...

AND: the KVRC 2016 registration form is up and running! (Finally)

@JJRRacing: Congratulation on being the first one to register (even before I tested the form itself). I hope you received the registration confirmation email fine.

JJR
JJR

julien.decharentenay wrote:Hi. I went through updating the website over the week-end. A little better (I hope) but still very much a work in progress. And google sites can be painful in regards to layout...

AND: the KVRC 2016 registration form is up and running! (Finally)

@JJRRacing: Congratulation on being the first one to register (even before I tested the form itself). I hope you received the registration confirmation email fine.
Thank you Julien
Yes I received confirmation on email. It seems to be OK

CAEdevice

I have just registered, thank you for updating the website. The form works perfectly, I recevied the key and the confirmation in 30 seconds.

About the layout of the Google sites: I agree, it is not so smart to edit. What about a Wordpress one?
At the moment anyway, the most important think is OCCFD, I can help with the website if you think it could be useful.

UlleGulle
UlleGulle

Unfortunatly my Scetchup skills are well below creating a car for this wonderful challenge. However, I have been having this idea and I'd like to hear what you would have to say about it.

As I understood it, last year the most limiting factor was front downforce. How about having a diffusor in front of the regulated floor and connecting that diffusors with tunnels to the low pressure zone at the back of the car?

CAEdevice

UlleGulle wrote:Unfortunatly my Scetchup skills are well below creating a car for this wonderful challenge. However, I have been having this idea and I'd like to hear what you would have to say about it.

As I understood it, last year the most limiting factor was front downforce. How about having a diffusor in front of the regulated floor and connecting that diffusors with tunnels to the low pressure zone at the back of the car?
Hi do you mean that front df was not enough? It depends on the car design... mine had the opposite limit :)

RicME85

It was certainly easy enough to bolt on downforce at the front of the car.
There were some cars that used the front diffuser idea.
When you talk of tunnels, do you mean ones like the Nissan LMP1 car had?

RicME85

Also, posted this in the 2015 thread by mistake ... time to get it locked?

Registered.
I have also updated a blog I started ready for the new season and have a Twitter account and Facebook Page, the details have been supplied in the registration, hopefully will help with promoting the product.

LVDH

UlleGulle wrote:Unfortunatly my Scetchup skills are well below creating a car for this wonderful challenge. However, I have been having this idea and I'd like to hear what you would have to say about it.
The competitive nature of this challenge helped me get my Blender skills to where I wanted them to be.
Do you want to give up on learning new things? This is a great opportunity to learn a new modeling package. It does not have to be anything specific.

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

UlleGulle wrote:Unfortunatly my Scetchup skills are well below creating a car for this wonderful challenge.
You do not have to limit yourself to SketchUp. Any package that can output STL should be fine - but SketchUp is definitively in the easier category. This year we are introducing a simpler way to take part by providing a bodywork so that you only need to design the front wing, rear wing and diffuser. This could be a perfect way to get started both on skills and ideas.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
The competitive nature of this challenge helped me get my Blender skills to where I wanted them to be.
Do you want to give up on learning new things? This is a great opportunity to learn a new modeling package. It does not have to be anything specific.
Are you using blender for the 2016 car or have you used it for the 2015 one? Are you modeling clean UV mapped surfaces? It would be interesting for my driving simulator project (it allows to use large textures).

I think I will use Creo 3.0 for the 2016 car, but it depends on when OCCFD with complete cooling ducts simulation will be released: I would need some weeks to design a completely new car, I'm considering to use an evolution if the 2015 car for the first race (it was modeles woth SolidWorks)

SR71

Question about overall length of the car. If our body work doesnt extend the full 1000mm past the rear axle, can we trim the rear crash structure/transmission accordingly, or does this fixed part need to hang out?

cdsavage
cdsavage

Correct, the supplied templates can't be modified, but we do allow movement of the footbox template and front suspension templates within a small range.

LVDH

It seems that the new cars are starting to get developed.
Where will the season start this year? A high, medium or low downforce track?