2015 Singapore Grand Prix - 18-20 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2015 Singapore Grand Prix - 18-20 September

If Mercedes run the upgraded engine they can afford to put on a bucket full of downforce to be quick in the corners. That's where the lap time is. The question is whether they can actually put enough downforce on with the current cars - is it possible "saturate" the car with downforce? I don't know whether the cars are, effectively, running with surplus power now when at maximum downforce with the current rules.

As to the relative "bump ability" of the cars, I thought the Mercs have looked as good as anyone else.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Yep. There is lots a room for more down-force.
Singapore has a lot of long straight so top speed is still useful here.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Andres125sx

GP aside, to me this is the most spectacular surroundings of any other F1 GP. Even if the race is boring, I can´t stop watching those impresive and unique buildings. Maybe as a construction engineer I´m biased, but I think Marina Bay Sands, ArtScience museum, theaters on the Bay, Gardens by the bay... all of them deserve some detailed pics

Most iconic building in Singapore, Marina Bay Sands

ArtScience Museum

Gardens by the Bay

Schuttelberg

Just_a_fan wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:I have a feeling Seb will win this!
Only if Hamilton has an issue. I don't think the Ferrari has sufficient pace to take the race on pure merit. If he can get ahead off the line then he might be able to do something but if Hamilton leads at the end of the first lap it'll need misfortune to play a card in Vettel's favour.
There are a few things to point out-

1) I don't think the Mercedes will have as big an advantage here as other circuits. They start as clear favourites no doubt, but I expect their advantage to be smaller than the other tracks.\

2) I think the Ferrari is more suited to this sort of track. I think it will go well here, specially qualifying.

3) In my opinion, some of Vettel's best drives/qualifying laps have come here. He's an absolute beast around Singapore, though Hamilton is probably equal. No one remembers, but I've seen Vettel's 2009 drive a few times and for me that was his best ever drive in the dry. I saw every lap onboard and he was right on the ragged edge practically every corner. I just have a gut feeling that he's going to stick it on the front row and pull one out of the bag in the race. Obviously, it's very possible that Merc turn out to be a second a lap faster and completely obliterate the field while Vettel puts it in the wall. Just my instincts are telling me this is Vettel's weekend.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

F1NAC

That pool :shock: :shock: nice view during race :mrgreen:

iotar__

f1316 wrote:Perhaps I'm putting too much stock in this, but remember Martin brundle saying Mercedes wouldn't be so strong round here when he saw them over the bumps in Hungary.
Also last year's quali was tight, even if the race less so. If someone else can get ahead, it'll be very hard to pass them.
Mclaren to make q3 for first time this season? I think so.
It should be closer and it's a better track for Ferrari, RB/TR and worse for Williams but does it matter? Merc is still on pole and it's another race to lose for them. McLaren in Q3 only in case of drivers' incompetence. Merc, RB, Ferrari, TR = two places left. Williams, FI? Lotus - doubtful (they were slow in Hun and Monaco).

Mercedes customer teams not getting upgraded engines is one of the biggest scandals in F1 in recent years and no one's discussing it. One tyre failure - weeks of controversy :roll:. Only Pat Symonds is going on about it publicly and for a reason, in Monza it could have been a difference between challenging Ferrari or not. Same for future races, not in Singapore but the sooner you get them the better.

On drivers side Mercedes lost Rosberg 36-50 points in two races: basic competence in Hungary +25 or +18, same in Monza or reversed situation (random event) and it's Rosberg that is Sennaesque. Team not drivers decided this championship unfortunately. WCC from 1 to 4 is set too, little to look forward to in remaining races.

Schuttelberg

My favourite city on the planet!! 8) :mrgreen:
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

iotar__ wrote:On drivers side Mercedes lost Rosberg 36-50 points in two races: basic competence in Hungary +25 or +18, same in Monza or reversed situation (random event) and it's Rosberg that is Sennaesque. Team not drivers decided this championship unfortunately. WCC from 1 to 4 is set too, little to look forward to in remaining races.
Hungary?

All Rosberg has done all season is 'yap.' He has again said he will be on 'maximum attack' and what not and I will pretty much be shocked if he can beat Vettel around this track. Hamilton is another matter.

Andres125sx

Schuttelberg wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:I have a feeling Seb will win this!
Only if Hamilton has an issue. I don't think the Ferrari has sufficient pace to take the race on pure merit. If he can get ahead off the line then he might be able to do something but if Hamilton leads at the end of the first lap it'll need misfortune to play a card in Vettel's favour.
There are a few things to point out-

1) I don't think the Mercedes will have as big an advantage here as other circuits. They start as clear favourites no doubt, but I expect their advantage to be smaller than the other tracks.\

2) I think the Ferrari is more suited to this sort of track. I think it will go well here, specially qualifying.

3) In my opinion, some of Vettel's best drives/qualifying laps have come here. He's an absolute beast around Singapore, though Hamilton is probably equal. No one remembers, but I've seen Vettel's 2009 drive a few times and for me that was his best ever drive in the dry. I saw every lap onboard and he was right on the ragged edge practically every corner. I just have a gut feeling that he's going to stick it on the front row and pull one out of the bag in the race. Obviously, it's very possible that Merc turn out to be a second a lap faster and completely obliterate the field while Vettel puts it in the wall. Just my instincts are telling me this is Vettel's weekend.
That´s what people said before Monaco (track not suited for Mercedes), and Lewis ended up with 8 tenths advantage on qualifying (what is unbelieveble for such a short track) and so much advantage in race they tried to do an extra pitstop for free. This one with some more straight should be even better for them I think

Just trying to keep you expectations in a realistic level :mrgreen:

Jordan44

Schuttelberg wrote:
iotar__ wrote:On drivers side Mercedes lost Rosberg 36-50 points in two races: basic competence in Hungary +25 or +18, same in Monza or reversed situation (random event) and it's Rosberg that is Sennaesque. Team not drivers decided this championship unfortunately. WCC from 1 to 4 is set too, little to look forward to in remaining races.
Hungary?

All Rosberg has done all season is 'yap.' He has again said he will be on 'maximum attack' and what not and I will pretty much be shocked if he can beat Vettel around this track. Hamilton is another matter.
.. Not like Rosberg cost himself those points in Hungary with another clumbsy manoeuvre, is it? Clearly the 28 point gap Lewis had on Nico before the Monza mistake is to be ignored. Also completely ignored the fact Nico gained points on Lewis in Monaco due to a team mistake, which evens out this points swing.
Last edited by Steven on 16 Sep 2015, 22:18, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

Andres125sx

Schuttelberg wrote:My favourite city on the planet!! 8) :mrgreen:
Agree, one of those places in my list of "must see"

SectorOne

Looking at Monaco it´s hard to bet against Mercedes here.
They were almost 8 tenths ahead of the second best car there which is just insane considering the PU has a lot less effect on those straights.

We might see a second to nearest rival. Or something crazy like hundreds for some inexplicable reason.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ME4ME

I think the chance of Red Bull beating Ferrari is bigger than Ferrari beating Mercedes. I'm really looking forward to qualifying. Also interested to see how Verstappen will do; I kind of expect him to shine.

Edax
Edax

SectorOne wrote:Looking at Monaco it´s hard to bet against Mercedes here.
They were almost 8 tenths ahead of the second best car there which is just insane considering the PU has a lot less effect on those straights.

We might see a second to nearest rival. Or something crazy like hundreds for some inexplicable reason.
I think the ones who think that the Mercedes advantage can be measured in hp and applies to straights only, should have had a reality check long ago.

Obviously the Mercedes engine is strong, which helps them on the straights, and that has a knock on effect of being able to run a higher downforce. Aside from that it appears that the power delivery is smooth and easily accessible.

But I think one of the main advantages of Mercedes is the suspension. Compared to the other teams car looks so incredibly stable, difficult to upset, yet responsive and precise.

I think that, and the power delivery, gave them the advantage on the bumpy and twisty streets of Monaco. If they can get the car dialed in to the circuit, then you may well be right, and we'll see a few 0.1's advantage in Singapore.

Multi21

I think as far as Merc vs Ferrari, i think it just comes down to what limits Ferrari in race pace, the gap to Merc in Qualy hardly ever matters. Since either not being to run a fast engine mode for a lot of the race or having to take off a lot of wing to be fast on straight limits their race pace, merc can be running second behind one of the Ferraris and undercut them early to gain the lead knowing ferrari can't maintain a fast pace and match the merc race pce. A Ferrari win would require them to both start from the front row and have the second car slow the rest of the field down. As for Iotar's comment on Merc losing Rosberg points, the first thing i will say is that mechanical misfortunes can happen to anyone and the fact that Merc only suffered once so far this year compared to all that happened last year is testament that theyve gotten on too of reliability. There is no way they affected Rosbergs race in hungary and in all honesty Hamilton has clearly been the better of the two all season.