Toyota and Gascoyne

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

For Mclaren I say it again Tombazis will take over you, he is highly rated, I see Gascoyne gong to STR, but it most defintealy looks like that Gascoyne could not adapt to the Toyota culture which he knew would be ever present in motorsports also.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

axle
axle

People have mentioned Jordan is looking to have a team again in 2008...and MG has worked for him before...might be a good partnership, after all MG won't need the money!!

Jordan, Prodrive, STR, and even Aguri...can't see him going to a top team...
- Axle

m3_lover

Where is Gary Anderson these days? Maybe he might go back to Jordant too?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

jgredline

chepoi wrote:Gascoyne is the right person to take Newey place @ McLaren.....?????
Please don't say that.
We don not need him at Mclaren. Why ruin a good thing.
To finish first, first you must finish.

Scuderia_Russ

m3_lover wrote:Where is Gary Anderson these days? Maybe he might go back to Jordant too?
I believe he is working for a GP2 team these days.

m3_lover

Does he still do the technical analysis for Autosport magazine?

Scuderia_Russ

He sure does.

f1.redbaron

vyselegend wrote:Ralph's 3rd place is mainly the result of overtaking Heidfeld under yellow flag without beeing punished, (don't ask me why :evil: ) ...
I don't agree. Ralf passed Heidfeld about 5 sec after I saw SC icon appear on my TV. Unless they delayed displaying that icon on purpose, I can't see how in the world would that have been enough for Toyota to radio Ralf and tell him not to pass. Same goes for BMW. I don't think that Heidfeld got the message in that short period of time.

Furthermore, Sato wouldn't move out of the way, and he had seriously slowed Ralf who was charging ahead. I believe that Sato was warned about it. So I think that Ralf would've had him either way.

And last, Montoya passed Heifeld well into the SC period and nobody had mentioned anything about it.

-------------------------

So Mike got suspended and not fired. OK, I guess that makes more sense...I mean, you can't give him a detention. What a joke...

Especially the reason. I know of an engineer who is working with Toyota (not F1), who seriously lacks "people skills". Not just that, he has a very wierd way of doing things. Some people would be completely lost every time when he would sumbit a proposal. But towards the end of a project, as things were beginning to fall into place, everybody would look at each other and say "Oh yeah! That makes so much sense. Now I understand why he did....(whatever)". That same man is actually holding a very privileged engineering position within Toyota.

Yeah, I know about the team-work, etc., but if they decided to give Gascoyne so much money, you might as well unleash him and let him do what he does best. And when things don't work out, fire him, but not at the beginning of the season. He is not a hockey or football coach who can, easily, be replaced with another.

---------------------

Off-Topic

West,

I've decided to stick with Lexus. I've been driving Toyota-made vehicles since I started driving, and I'm certain that I won't be switching to another brand. However, I'm trying to decide whether I should bite the bullet and buy the 350 or do the sensible thing, and buy a car more suited to the Canadian winters - IS250 AWD.

West
West

I dunno what it's like to drive in the snow, but whenever it rained hard in SoCal, my SC400 was tons of fun. Although extremely dangerous, I loved going 80-90 in rain and trying to fight the oversteer - in heavy traffic.

If your daring, you can try an Audi A4 2.0 quattro. I just think that the IS250 AWD is a joke up a Lexus because of the powertrain. If I needed a AWD car, I'd probably pick up an Audi... it's just that their JD Initial Quality reports are much lower than that of Lexus.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

During the last half of the '05 season, Toyotas were gaining respectability, improving much over the previous years. Gascoyne was finally making an impact, and it was beginning to show in the pace and results of the Toyota. But they changed tires between seasons, and unexpectedly to me, started the season off really underperforming. Then in Australia, the Toyotas were back up to respectable pace.
It's actually too early to see if any trend is developing, but Toyota appears back on track. But it also appears that for the first two races of the season, they made poor decisions, be in setup, or strategy, or something. Who knows who made the major decisions? Was Gascoyne part of the problem, or was he fighting the initial poor decisions? It's his job to put together a competitive car. It appears that this is being accomplished. You just don't get a third based on sheer luck or circumstance. You have to have a decent car underneath it all. I really wonder and doubt that he was doing a poor job.
But it is obvious that Toyota has silenced him, and shuffled him out of the way for now. usually, when someone underperforms or does a bad job, they get publicly sacked, and the team doesn't hold back on castigating the person fired. But this didn't happen, he was just removed and silenced. I really wonder if he was part of the problem, or was fighting the people who are the problem.

Principessa

Dave, you are asking the right questions. I really think it's not fair that Gascoyne has been sacked. I really don't believe that he was the one causing the problems at Toyota or that he was the ONLY one causing the problem. I really believe that after only 3 races in the season, it was too soon to sack him for reasons that are related with the performance of the car! So there must be somthing else!! But what what what?
Gascoyne didn't want (or wasn't allowed) to comment his departure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Under the manner in which the man has been sidelined, he can't utter a peep about what's going on. He wasn't fired, and is still definitely bound by his contract to his present employer, Toyota. So Toyota has to keep paying him, but he cannot under any circumstances say anything. All we can do is wonder and speculate as to what really happened deep within the confines of corporate Toyota.
The only definte facts we are aware of is that there was disagreement between Gascoyne and other decision makers within Toyota.

vyselegend

Do you think the disagreement about the bridgestone switch is a reason enough for all this mess? To me it sound too much obvious to be true. At least there have to be some other discordances. As almost everybody pointed out, their aero package is cubic and disharmonial with some winglet added here and there. I doubt MG did convince anybody in the team that his design philosophy is good.

Steven
Owner

Well, Mike is now defenitely fired!
I think a Michelin-Bridgestone dispute helped both parties to part ways, and maybe the thing escalated when it appeared that this year their car is suffering very much from that change.

As for Mike's future, I think he will go to a British base, and most likely:
- Renault: a top team and a team he knows, although I'm not sure whether Flavio will be keen to take him back.
- McLaren: lots of money, and those guys already lost Podromou and Newey in the winter, so they look like they could use such a great engineer ;)

manchild
manchild

I didn't like his pile of additional aero bits but I think that he is scapegoat sacrificed for lack of performance instead of some jerk from management that decided to switch to Bridgestone because of the patriotic reasons.