Toyota and Gascoyne

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Alot of reports so far have the bulldog going to Williams, I dont know how sam michaels is going to take it
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

axle
axle

m3_lover wrote:Alot of reports so far have the bulldog going to Williams, I dont know how sam michaels is going to take it
It could work if he's happy to replace their cheif aero guy that's had to leave....but that would be a demotion.
- Axle

robesy
robesy

I worked with Mike at "" and he was bascially a bully. And his sucess at Jordan was down to the good people he had around him e.g Dino Toso when he went to Renault he took those people and again did well. But at Toyota he was unable to take them I beileve as a part of him being allowed to leave Renault. I think he thought he could do it without them but was obviously wrong!!

jgredline

To finish first, first you must finish.

Ciwai
Ciwai

Looking at the pic of mike with the tf106 I have to say its a good thing that he was sacked..... by mid season that car would have been covered with winglets over its entire surface like the quills of a porcupine.

Jason

Ciwai wrote:Looking at the pic of mike with the tf106 I have to say its a good thing that he was sacked..... by mid season that car would have been covered with winglets over its entire surface like the quills of a porcupine.
I agree, why put two sets of winglets near the nose cone if you already have one??? 1 mid-wing is enough for that TF106 since the races does not need double(except Monte Carlo and Budapest where you need high downforce)This car is filled with lots of unneeded wings, those wings are useful but they Mike have them too much.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

zac510
zac510

Jason, have you ever considered that sometimes body parts are not there solely to produce downforce?

Perhaps they are performing a different but valid purpose?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I think just about every car is loaded with additional aero devices. Winglets, chmneys, turning vanes, vortex generators, extra channels for diffusers, lots of devices that detract from the ideal "clean" car. To me, to see all those devices on the nose section of the Toyota isn't a surprise.
I'm not defending Gascoyne, I really have little idea of the man. Maybe he took the brunt of the shame of the first two races, maybe it was a deep philosophical gap between his concepts and major team principals. But under the way in which he was let go, to me it's obvious Toyota have silenced him, at least for now. I'm sure that once the restrictions have vaporized, Gascoyne will tell his side of the story, and then we can wonder who was right, and who was wrong.

zac510
zac510

I feel the same way Dave, from both the technical point of view and also about Gascoyne himself. How can anyone but robesy say they know him?

Considering some less than favourable things I have heard about him this week, it might be in his interest to keep quiet anyway, to keep himself hireable!

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I definitely believe robesy (by the way robesy, thank you for the insight), but then again, technical directors aren't hired because they keep the staff happy and entertained. It's a high paying, high pressure job with high expectations. Toyota knew what kind of beast they were investing in when they hired Gascoyne.
Despite the fact that Toyota will become the world's largest auto manufacturer soon, and have the pulse of the public, they are a rough bunch. You don't succeed in business by being a softy. As well, this isn't the first time we have seen the hard side of Toyota racing, remember how they dumped two drivers in the past?

f1.redbaron

DaveKillens wrote: As well, this isn't the first time we have seen the hard side of Toyota racing, remember how they dumped two drivers in the past?
Twice, actually...

OT, There was a news article (Bild Magazine) suggesting that Mike's departure had given Ralf a green light to win races (???). So, one would assume that Jarno was a preffered driver in that team. To me, it makes no sense...had that been the case, Jarno wouldn't be making 1/3 of Ralf's salary.

But, to get back to the topic, I could, seriously, see Toyota dumping both drivers. Ralf is not worth the money they're paying him, and Jarno got screwed with the new qualifying format.

So, does that mean that Toyota will dump both of their drivers...again? Possibly. But, to be honest, as much as I had hoped for Kimi to come to Toyota, it now seem highly unlikely. What remains to be seen is, who will replace him/them? Webber (unlikely)? Montoya (not as long as Ralf is there)? Fisichella (again, unlikely)...

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Obviously, Toyota will sack anyone to get where they intend. I bet that sure motivates Ralf, and we won't see any "off" races from him.

ginsu
ginsu

Motivation out of fear and motivation out of desire can have quite different results. Sure, Ralf might look and act the part of a good racing driver, but does he really have it in him to fight for a championship? I don't think I've ever even heard him speak about fighting for wins, maybe a podium, but very little talk of winning.
I love to love Senna.