2015 Mexican Grand Prix - Mexico City, Oct 30 - Nov 1

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WaikeCU

Re: 2015 Mexican Grand Prix - Mexico City, Oct 30 - Nov 1

Vasconia wrote:The track is nice but the race was not that good, too bad the it didnt rain.

Well deserved victory by Nico who truly showed his strengths and this time he resisted the pressure. Well done!

I dont understand Lewis attitude. Both cars have a great advantage so it was very logic to change the tyres in order to avoid any problem at the end of the race(and a probably safety car, which it did happen). With the same strategy it was in Hamilton´s hands to attack Nico but he couldnt. He always reacts like a child complaining and demanding additional info when its clear why they were changing the tyres because its not the first time.
I believe everyone made mistakes at a certain stage during the race. Rosberg also got off track at a certain point, might have even gained some time or lost some, but on the same lap Hamilton ran wide on to the kerb going into the stadium section, so it basically evened out. I think on a track like this, it's crucial to maintain a gap going onto the main straight, in which Rosberg did.

Vasconia

The last corner reminds me Monza, it doesnt help at all to begin the main straigth very close to the other driver, so it makes the overtake, at this point of the track, more difficult.

And the difference of pace between them was not enough to make the overtake posible.

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:Well deserved victory by Nico who truly showed his strengths and this time he resisted the pressure. Well done!
Finally, first time this year, did justice to the capabilities of the car, while his team mate was chasing on his tail. Quota of the year probably?
Vasconia wrote:I dont understand Lewis attitude.
That orgasmic feeling, to get the opportunity to attack!

Before the start of the race, you finalize that it is going to be a one stop race. Probably, wouldn't even have discussed a Plan B and suddenly, in the middle of the race, you call it two stopper. So, any driver who is chasing his team mate would definitely want to know what is going on. Did he argued in Monza when his engineer said, "Open the gap lewis, don't ask any questions"? It's natural emotion that, when you are leading, you are happy and when you are chasing, you are not. Is that such a big deal to understand?

Mercedes strategy team has a lot to learn. Last GP, they gave a pit stop to Nico in VSC and left Lewis out. Clearly, making Lewis a sitting duck. Luck prevailed and Lewis got a change.

I can't wait for another team to challenge Mercedes neck to neck. At least then they have to stop the BS of equal strategy.

Wolff: Hamilton right to question orders
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 02 Nov 2015, 12:00, edited 2 times in total.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

After all the build up during the practice sessions and qualifying, the race turned out to be a bit dull. It seems the layout doesn't promote overtaking, watching Vettel stuck behind the slow McLaren Honda of Button for a whole lap kind of made it look like Monaco. Bit of a shame really.

A solid performance from Rosberg to earn a well deserved win. The whole Hamilton pit call thing is a non-issue. He spied an opportunity to stay out and steal the lead from Rosberg, but it probably wouldn't have worked out in the end because of the safety car and even he admitted this after the race. Ultimately the team put both drivers on the best strategy for the race, and that's what matters.

Kingshark
Kingshark

zeph wrote:Only? Over 71 laps that would amount to about 27 seconds.
It doesn't always work like that. Tyre management, Q3 engine modes, etc... Rosberg was 0.188 s faster than Hamilton in qualifying, you'd think he'd have been 9-10 seconds ahead before the SC on lap 50-ish.

djos

Jonnycraig wrote:Vettel furious at Ricciardo..
Boo hoo, this was completely reminiscent of Vettel blaming Webber for being on the track in Turkey and not beaming himself out of the way!

In both cases all the commentators laid the blame squarely on Vettel! Another case of Vettel driving to drive thru another car!

Had it not been a first corner incident, Vettel would have got done for avoidable contact due to not leaving racing room.
"In downforce we trust"

Cannonballer
Cannonballer

djos wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:Vettel furious at Ricciardo..
Boo hoo, this was completely reminiscent of Vettel blaming Webber for being on the track in Turkey and not beaming himself out of the way!

In both cases all the commentators laid the blame squarely on Vettel! Another case of Vettel driving to drive thru another car!

Had it not been a first corner incident, Vettel would have got done for avoidable contact due to not leaving racing room.
From Autosport.com:
Vettel was upset with Ricciardo after their collision at Turn 1, but after watching the start again he agreed with the decision from the stewards to not take any action.

"Initially I was pretty angry because I have a puncture and the race is lost," he said.

"Looking at it now - it's the start of the race, and I think it was correct not to take any action on it.

"I don't think Daniel had anywhere to go. Equally he was trying but there was no gap really.

"It's a very difficult judgement to make. I saw him in the very last second and tried to open [a gap] but by then it was already too late.

"Plus, he was too quick for the line he was trying to do, so we touched.

"You can't do that on purpose so I'm not blaming him, but of course it was a shame for us."
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

djos

Lots of excuses there from Vettel....
"In downforce we trust"

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I would say that incident was more Ricciardo than it was Vettel, it was more than optimistic, but it was ultimately a racing incident at the start of the race.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 02 Nov 2015, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

iotar__

WaikeCU wrote:
Vasconia wrote:The track is nice but the race was not that good, too bad the it didnt rain.

Well deserved victory by Nico who truly showed his strengths and this time he resisted the pressure. Well done!

I dont understand Lewis attitude. Both cars have a great advantage so it was very logic to change the tyres in order to avoid any problem at the end of the race(and a probably safety car, which it did happen). With the same strategy it was in Hamilton´s hands to attack Nico but he couldnt. He always reacts like a child complaining and demanding additional info when its clear why they were changing the tyres because its not the first time.
I believe everyone made mistakes at a certain stage during the race. Rosberg also got off track at a certain point, might have even gained some time or lost some, but on the same lap Hamilton ran wide on to the kerb going into the stadium section, so it basically evened out. I think on a track like this, it's crucial to maintain a gap going onto the main straight, in which Rosberg did.
What mistakes from "everyone"? That was as dominant a win as you can get. At no stage in the race was Hamilton even close, he got a gift from SC that erased a 2,5(?) second gap and wasn't even close again, game over after one lap. Now he has the nerve to claim that he "thought" he had more pace? Pathetic excuses after the race, excuses after qualifying, that's your "driving doing the talking" I guess.

It could have been a classic close season at least between two drivers, the rest remains rubbish. Rosberg has the pace in Q and in the races but no support from the team in the form of decision making and reliability

Bottas vs Raikkonen was not much different to Maldo - Perez Hun, the latter even cleaner one is no reaction the other a drive-through, brilliant consistency. Why the hell did they tell quicker Vettel to slow down and let Hamilton past but when a snail pace Stevens doesn't get out of the way in Canada it's OK? F1 is a remote controlled scam on every level that's why.

djos

Diesel wrote:I would say that incident was more Ricciardo that it was Vettel, it was more than optimistic, but it was ultimately a racing incident at the start of the race.
Ricciardo was half way down the inside at the apex of the corner when Vettel came across at him, if it wasn't a 1st corner incident Vettel would have been pinged for it.

Vettel pulled the exact same move later in the race on one of the TR boys (i forget which) and was left racing room. It was even noted by the commentary team.
"In downforce we trust"

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote: Is that such a big deal to understand?

Mercedes strategy team has a lot to learn. Last GP, they gave a pit stop to Nico in VSC and left Lewis out. Clearly, making Lewis a sitting duck. Luck prevailed and Lewis got a change.
I ask myself the same. If Hamilton asks for information and the team explains the situation, why on earth is he asking again? just do it man, the team is doing the same with both drives. Perhaps he needs a ruined race because of his stubbornness, just to learn that his team doesnt want to ruin the race of his top driver.

There was a reasonable doubt with how many laps could the tyres last and the gap was enough to make a second stop and retain the top. I have seen this before with Mercedes, RB or Ferrari some years ago. Where is the problem?

But I agree that Mercedes is far from being the best team in relation to strategy. I want to see the situation when they have to Split strategies because another team is putting them under a great pressure. I miss Brawn in this aspect, not only because of the strategy itself but becase he had more authority and perhaps Hamilton would respect him more than Wolf.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

djos wrote:
Diesel wrote:I would say that incident was more Ricciardo that it was Vettel, it was more than optimistic, but it was ultimately a racing incident at the start of the race.
Ricciardo was half way down the inside at the apex of the corner when Vettel came across at him, if it wasn't a 1st corner incident Vettel would have been pinged for it.

Vettel pulled the exact same move later in the race on one of the TR boys (i forget which) and was left racing room. It was even noted by the commentary team.
It came from quite far back, as most Ricciardo moves usually do, you can't surely claim Ricciardo was completely innocent? I don't think it's fair to claim Vettel purposefully closed the door, you can see he tries to open up as soon as he spots Ricciardo.

You know it's possible both drivers can be blamed for an incident, it's not always soley 1 persons fault, and it's not always done on purpose or with malicious intent.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Vasconia wrote:
GPR-A wrote: Is that such a big deal to understand?

I ask myself the same. If Hamilton asks for information and the team explains the situation, why on earth is he asking again? just do it man, the team is doing the same with both drives. Perhaps he needs a ruined race because of his stubbornness, just to learn that his team doesnt want to ruin the race of his top driver.
Because he's a racing driver, and he knew passing Nico on track was proving to be very very difficult at this circuit, so he saw an Opportunity to do it on strategy, stay out and make the tyres last. It wouldn't have worked anyway, because the safety car would have nullified his gap and Nico would have most likely passed him on fresher tyres, and he might have lost out to Bottas as well. Or, who knows, we might have ended up with a Bahrain situation where Hamilton could have defend until the end.

I really don't understand all the criticism and hypocrisy that goes on in this place. People slam the drivers for obeying team orders and not being real racers, then when one of them speaks up he's slammed for not doing what the team says and he's labelled as "crying" on the radio etc. etc.

Kingshark
Kingshark

Vettel has been the man of the season up until this point, but I feel that this race might swing the momentum back in Lewis' favor (despite being outperformed by Nico), although it's very close. Verstappen is up there too.