2017-2020 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
domh245
domh245

Re: Proposed 2017 F1 Aerodynamic Changes

mclaren111 wrote:Question:

Has the six speed gearbox been approved or are they staying with the 8 ??

Thx
Still 8 forwards ratios. Article 9.6.1 of the 2017 technical regulations.

I wasn't aware of any plan to change it in the first place though? It'd have only made sense if they went away from the current PUs.

godlameroso

Are the new widths mandated or can teams still make narrow cars if they want? As in could they make a car with a 1900mm track and 1600mm floor?
Saishū kōnā

wuzak
wuzak

godlameroso wrote:Are the new widths mandated or can teams still make narrow cars if they want? As in could they make a car with a 1900mm track and 1600mm floor?
Or could Sauber run an update 2016 car with the angled front and rear wings and sidepods?

I think with the new rear tyres they would be about 1900mm anyway.

godlameroso

New tires are an inch wider so ~50mm wider, but track width is not measured at the tire rather at the end of the wheel hub.
Saishū kōnā

turbof1

Is there any news if the be wing returns?
#AeroFrodo

wuzak
wuzak

turbof1 wrote:Is there any news if the be wing returns?
"Big wing"?

The front and rear wings will be wider. The rear wing will be lower and I believe they are also bringing back the beam wing. Which will al work to better utilise the bigger diffuser.

wuzak
wuzak

godlameroso wrote:New tires are an inch wider so ~50mm wider, but track width is not measured at the tire rather at the end of the wheel hub.
The rules say:
3.3 Overall width :
The overall width of the car, excluding tyres, must not exceed 1800mm with the steered wheels in the straight ahead position.
I assume that means that the wheel rim is included.

djos

wuzak wrote:
"Big wing"?

The front and rear wings will be wider. The rear wing will be lower and I believe they are also bringing back the beam wing. Which will al work to better utilise the bigger diffuser.
I think he means "Beam Wing"
"In downforce we trust"

turbof1

Yup my apologies. Typo's happen often on a smartphone :oops: .
#AeroFrodo

Blackout

Juzh wrote:
Blackout wrote:
Vyssion wrote:
Yes. #end
No. #end
Yes. #end
Nope, :mrgreen: The new rules clearly have been thought/pushed by politicians and marketing people first of all, not by the engineers...
The former want to counter the current car and engine haters/critics and desperately impress the fans at any cost... F1 just needs some 'tweaks' as plenty of serious people and studies have proven that. F1 must also keep the costs, weight etc under control at the same time and It is possible. But these new stupid rules negate all of that and might make the show even worse.
Many of the new changes are just cosmetic and superficial and, worst of all, have not been well researched, like Lowe and other say... they have been rushed... dont that remind you of something? Melbourne and Sakhir qualy system...
2013 aero rules weren't bad and we can rebuild f1 on them with some tweaks, adjustments etc... Teams dumbly ditched some of their features for political reasons too.
Make the cars less ugly in the mean time isnt impossible either.

Juzh

Blackout wrote: Many of the new changes are just cosmetic and superficial
Such as massive tires, more aero surfaces and so on, which will produce what everyone not a mercedes powered sheeps actually want. Faster cars.

Blackout

And some of the 2017 changes seem to negate some of the lessons the OWG has learned in 2009...
It's obvious that the 2017 goals are
-just make the cars much "faster" and more """beautiful"""
And if they cant overtake each other anymore, just make the tires even crappier and put a bigger DRS. Charly Whiting stated this several times.

Pierce89

Blackout wrote:And some of the 2017 changes seem to negate some of the lessons the OWG has learned in 2009...
It's obvious that the 2017 goals are
-just make the cars much "faster" and more """beautiful"""
And if they cant overtake each other anymore, just make the tires even crappier and put a bigger DRS. Charly Whiting stated this several times.
I'm 110% behind the new rules. Watch a race from 2004,the drivers can just slam the car into the corners, it's visually so much more impressive than now, where visually go through corners about like Indy cars.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Sevach
Sevach

wuzak wrote:
"Big wing"?

I didn't see anything regarding a beam wing return.

Plus with the rear wing moved further back and the endplates at an angle i wonder how teams would implement it even.

UltimateAero
UltimateAero

lets see which teams exploit new loop holes in the regulations.