2017-2020 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
dmjunqueira

Re: Proposed 2017 F1 Aerodynamic Changes

Sevach wrote:An Ferrari SF15-T edited to look like an 2017 car.
Just one little thing missing that can screw up the look of the whole thing (for some)... :wink:

Sevach
Sevach

And all of sudden... yuck.

djos

Sevach wrote:Image

An Ferrari SF15-T edited to look like an 2017 car.
Now that looks brilliant!
Last edited by djos on 01 Jun 2016, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

dmjunqueira wrote: Just one little thing missing that can screw up the look of the whole thing (for some)... :wink:

And that looks atrocious! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

wuzak
wuzak

I think the rear wing needs to be lower, and the picture doesn't show the wider tyres.

Though I think the vertical position of teh current RW is fine, it just needs to be made wider to fit between the tyres, as has been done in this picture.

godlameroso

Anyone think we'll see shorter wheelbase cars? Now that the diffuser is more efficient, and the floor is bigger, and the wider track and tires. At the very least the new proportions of the cars are going to make them look shorter than this year. Or will we still see cars that look like cigarette boats?
Saishū kōnā

wuzak
wuzak

godlameroso wrote:Anyone think we'll see shorter wheelbase cars? Now that the diffuser is more efficient, and the floor is bigger, and the wider track and tires. At the very least the new proportions of the cars are going to make them look shorter than this year. Or will we still see cars that look like cigarette boats?
I don't think so.

The wider front tyres will, most likely, keep the weight and aero balance at a similar point to now, so the length will probably remain.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

front tires too wide, rear tires too narrow.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Holm86

godlameroso wrote:Anyone think we'll see shorter wheelbase cars? Now that the diffuser is more efficient, and the floor is bigger, and the wider track and tires. At the very least the new proportions of the cars are going to make them look shorter than this year. Or will we still see cars that look like cigarette boats?
Unfortunately not, but I would have wished that the new regulations would have shortened the wheelbase too. IMO the cars are way too long, it looks stupid, and I also think a shorter car would be more twitchy and harder to drive, which is what we are all looking for.

strad

Unfortunately not, but I would have wished that the new regulations would have shortened the wheelbase too
Why do you want the rules to design the cars in the first place? That's part of how we wound up in this mess.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bl4zar_

Talking about rules designing the cars, are the V-shaped front wind and the inclined rear wind mandatory or are they just a possibility?

wuzak
wuzak

bl4zar_ wrote:Talking about rules designing the cars, are the V-shaped front wind and the inclined rear wind mandatory or are they just a possibility?
I think it would have to be mandatory, considering the centre section is a spec area.

Pierce89

Manoah2u wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjyDypVUgAA8OD9.jpg:large

front tires too wide, rear tires too narrow.
If you're stuck in the 80's or if you're into drag racing, maybe, but I love the look of huge aggressive meats at each corner.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Holm86

strad wrote:
Unfortunately not, but I would have wished that the new regulations would have shortened the wheelbase too
Why do you want the rules to design the cars in the first place? That's part of how we wound up in this mess.
I see what you're saying, but I don't want the rules to design the car. The point of the regulations should be to make the cars faster, and harder to drive. And im sure a shorter car would be harder to drive. These cars have become too long, and thats one of the reasons they look like they're driving on rails. A shorter car would be more nervous, and it's just a personal oppinion for me that it would also make them look better.

henry

This is a little longer and slightly narrower than next year's cars are likely to be:

The wheelbase, at 3665, is at the upper bound of today's cars

I thought of posting an S class Mercedes. But it's wheelbase is a piffling 3150.

Too long? I think so.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus