Active aero

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
federicobernabei
federicobernabei

Re: Active aero

The average cornering speed should be not less than a defined speed (more or less 100km/h) to be worth to use this device.

federicobernabei
federicobernabei

Actually is not the speed but the cornering radius that determine the enhancement of the vehicle performance on a racing track, and RC-car's race tracks have too small radious curves.

IceMan_PJN
IceMan_PJN

Andres125sx wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:I don't think it will help overtaking at all. The reason that overtaking is difficult is because you cannot follow in the corners, reducing your wing level will not help go faster in a corner.
The idea is exactly the contrary, increasing your wing level in corners while behind a car to compensate the drop in DF due to dirty air.
They'd simply run that higher downforce in corners even when they're the leading car. So, I'm ahead of you and you're following me through a series of turns. You turn up the downforce but I already did the same so that I can corner faster. You're still in my dirty air but we both cranked up the downforce.

The only way it would help the trailing car is if use of this downforce increase is treated much like DRS now - must be within a certain distance behind a car, except here we're increasing in corners rather than reducing in straights.

Andres125sx

The idea obviously was to use it as DRS, only allowed when behind a car, as it´s explained in first post

After some time I still think active aero could be the final solution. Allow it with a max DF level controlled automatically by sensors on suspensions and G sensors to compensate slope changes (wich could actually be unnecessary) and you don´t even need to monitor distance with car in front, the system will always keep DF as high as posible without exceeding the limit you want, so when in dirty air it will increase AoA, or decrease wing height, or deploy wing skirts, or whatever you want to compensate the drop in DF and minimize dirty air problem as much as posible