Red Bull Drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Red Bull Drivers

I have seen lately that Red Bull has amassed a great technical team but driver wise they do not have a superstar like Schumacher or Alonso. I was reading that JPM might jump ship to Red Bull, the way I think of it is that Red Bull has a huge driver training program (20 drivers) just like Honda, Mclaren, and Renault. I think that if any new drivers to STR or Red Bull will come from the driver program and not from pre-existing drivers in F1.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

jaslfc
jaslfc

I think so too. But i think they will always have one experience driver to help the car development and also pass on some knowledge to the young drivers. thats why david coulthard is there. If JPM comes i think david is out

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Red Bull was assembling a group of young, promising drivers long before they officially jumped into F1 as a team. This has always appeared as basic policy and the long range vision of Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz.
Coulthard was by circumstance a driver they needed under the quick formation of the team. In fact, it was doubtful if he would be there this season. And the second team, STR, is occupied by nothing but young, bright prospects.
And don't forget, the whole thing about Red Bull and STR is that despite the obvious fact Dietrich Mateschitz is a true racing enthusiast, he is in this game for the publicity and image. And to sell their product, they are targeting the youth crowd. Young, fresh, talented drivers who project the Red Bull image to millions of potential customers. Personally, I think we will see nothing but young drivers already under the Red Bull umbrella, and older, established drivers won't be competing in Red Bull or STR.

Principessa

I think that red bull will continue as they started. In the Red Bull team, 1 experienced driver with a young talent by his side. And in the Scuderia Toro Rosso, two young guns. I even think it's a possible that Liuzzi will take a seat at Red Bull again and make place at Toro Rosso for a new upcoming talent. I believe it will be Coulthard's final season and Klien will have to prove himself this year that he's worth the race seat that he has been given after a battle with Liuzzi last season.

It might be possible that JP will join Red Bull, but I'm not sure about that. He has a lot of other opportunities!

ketanpaul

You ppl may not agree with me but I think a team like Red Bull should probably get someone like Alex Wurz or Davidson or even Montagny who provide the right knowledge at the same time keeping up with the team's young and ambitious image. Maybe even a person like Dan Wheldon might be good. What do you guys think?

Principessa

I certainly think that 'Ant' Davidson should get his chance as race driver! He really has a lot of talent and he proves he can handle the car and returns good data to the engineers. He should have been in race seat already this season. If you see that Ide gets one and a talented young gun like Davidson is still test driver.

But I think that Red Bull will only pick young drivers that are already in the red bull team!

Tom

I do like the idea of Dan Weldon.

He was asstounding in Indy.

Which raises another point, bar NASCAR, do US Americans ever win their own series?

All the names I have heard have been European, Canadian, South American...

Weldon, Bourdois, Zanardi, Tracy...
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

jaslfc
jaslfc

speakin about bordais. i think he should get a drive in f1

JB
JB

It's infrequent that Americans win the driver titles in either Champ Car or IRl. The last to win CC was Jimmy Vasser in '96; the last to take the IRL crown was Sam Hornish, Jr. in 2002. It should be noted that the Champ Car series is geared more toward road racing and targets more international driver and fan markets.

sandaflo
sandaflo

Doubtful Sebastien Bourdais will ever get a shot at F!, which is a shame considering how talented he truly is. Williams had a tough choice several years ago with Bourdais, Junquiera and Button vying for a seat. As much as it pains me to say it, they made the right choice with Button, who appeared to have much more upside (marketability et al), but Bourdais has matured into a driver that deserves a chance in F1.

Perhaps the greatest sin in F1 is Alex Wurz not having a race seat. He would appear to fit Red Bull perfectly: Austrian, yet fluent in English, marketable abroad, into extrme sports, talented race driver and superb at devolping a car. I'm sure Adrian Newey would endorse Wurz if the choice was his.

jaslfc
jaslfc

i think f1 . money talks.. u wana get into f1 u gotta pay for ur seat. yes there have been a handfull that didnt but u look at the averages i think 80% of the drivers paid for their seat at the begining before proving themselves

m3_lover

Wurz had his chance with Benetton in the late 90's
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

ketanpaul

I really think Dan Wheldon will be a smart choice for Red Bull considering they really want their drinks to sell in the US. Dan is real good talent too so its a win - win situation for Red Bull.

dumrick
dumrick

m3_lover wrote:Wurz had his chance with Benetton in the late 90's
Yeah, but with one of the worst Benetton's ever, thanks to Nick Wirth...

Steven
Owner

dumrick wrote:
m3_lover wrote:Wurz had his chance with Benetton in the late 90's
Yeah, but with one of the worst Benetton's ever, thanks to Nick Wirth...
Well Alex was brought in as a replacement for Berger I think, and in three races he was three times in the top 6 (so points). The year after was a really bad Benetton, maybe because Flavio left the team at the end of 1997.

About Red Bull, in fact I think that Villeneuve, Coulthard and Montoya would all fit well in that team. If course, Klien is not doing a bad job either, although he is not going to get very popular with 1point finishes, which is why he might become uninteresting for Red Bull.