Mclaren MP4-31 Honda Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Joseki
Joseki

Re: Mclaren MP4-31 Honda Speculation Thread

Wazari wrote:From my understanding, they have been testing combinations of 3 different ICE configurations (combustion chamber designs) along with two different turbocharger set ups since a week before AD. I have not heard anything about testing the ERS system. I am also under the belief that they just got in their hands the new MGU-H unit for further development and testing.
So they still are working on different designs? It's late december and the tests start in 62 days. :?

hemichromis
hemichromis

well two different designs presumably they will pick the best of these. It seems both designs are complete if they have been doing dyno testing already.
So seems as simple as sticking them on the dyno and seeing which makes more power without causing the vibration prevalent in the previous design.

If they made 22 engines for this last year i am sure they have made a few different whole engines for testing.
I expect other manufacturers are doing the same.

Wazari

Joseki wrote:
Wazari wrote:From my understanding, they have been testing combinations of 3 different ICE configurations (combustion chamber designs) along with two different turbocharger set ups since a week before AD. I have not heard anything about testing the ERS system. I am also under the belief that they just got in their hands the new MGU-H unit for further development and testing.
So they still are working on different designs? It's late december and the tests start in 62 days. :?
This doesn't surprise me. I don't think we are talking about major design changes or differences. Again, my understanding is that they are testing different combustion chamber designs and two different turbocharger set-ups. Combustion chamber design is one area where I think you are always going to see changes. Engineers are always trying to extract the maximum amount of energy from every milliliter of fuel via combustion chamber design. This is one area where small changes can make relatively big increases in power of the ICE. Also with regards to the turbocharger, as I have previously mentioned, the internal design can make huge differences. I would guess as this point the layout of the turbo and MGU-H has been predetermined for 2016 but they are probably toying with different internal configurations of the turbocharger. In other words, you can have two turbochargers with the identical housings and look the same externally but completely different on the inside especially on the compressor side.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Joseki
Joseki

Wazari wrote:
Joseki wrote:
This doesn't surprise me. I don't think we are talking about major design changes or differences. Again, my understanding is that they are testing different combustion chamber designs and two different turbocharger set-ups. Combustion chamber design is one area where I think you are always going to see changes. Engineers are always trying to extract the maximum amount of energy from every milliliter of fuel via combustion chamber design. This is one area where small changes can make relatively big increases in power of the ICE. Also with regards to the turbocharger, as I have previously mentioned, the internal design can make huge differences. I would guess as this point the layout of the turbo and MGU-H has been predetermined for 2016 but they are probably toying with different internal configurations of the turbocharger. In other words, you can have two turbochargers with the identical housings and look the same externally but completely different on the inside especially on the compressor side.
So we are talking about very minor changes in the actual layout of the Power Unit. Anyway every manufacturer will have to test the final version of the 2016 very soon I believe.

Wazari

I think the actual layout is already determined. At this point, I think it would be testing different components, combustion chamber design and programming.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

haza
haza

22/12/2015 17:46
Fernando Alonso has received full guarantees of McLaren and Honda will have a competitive car in 2016. The heads of the British team have also told him that they have room for improvement to challenge Mercedes and Ferrari, and they insist on finding alternative and innovative ideas to have the best car of the Great Circus.

The MP4-31 is characterized by a very aggressive design, by changing the aerodynamics of MP4-30. A year ago, McLaren developed a very narrow rear forcing Honda engine to be coupled in a very compact area and the car had many problems cooling and reliability.

found this on a spanish website

PlatinumZealot

Some say the new car's code-name is "hunch-back in tights"...

8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mclaren111

Haza:
Do you have a link ?

haza
haza

mclaren111 wrote:
Haza:
Do you have a link ?
http://www.diariogol.com/es/notices/201 ... -56399.php
its translated

GoranF1
GoranF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:Some say the new car's code-name is "hunch-back in tights"...

8)
Jessica Michibata about MP4-31;
They dont need to shrunk rear any more,if they want "size zero" they can just put Jenson in the car! :D
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

DarkAlman
DarkAlman

Red Bull's sudden interest in the Honda Power Unit near the end of the year was interesting.

It makes you wonder if Honda made some back room assurances / shared some technical data with Red Bull to show the 2016 engine was viable. Otherwise Red Bull wouldn't have considered it an option.

But given Red Bulls desperation for a new power unit this could just as easily been a red herring...

Webber2011
Webber2011

GoranF1 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Some say the new car's code-name is "hunch-back in tights"...

8)
They dont need to shrunk rear any more,if they want "size zero" they can just put Jenson in the car! :D
Really ?
You're going to keep bagging the guy and his failed relationship in multiple threads ?

How old are you ?

GoranF1
GoranF1

Webber2011 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

8)
Really ?
You're going to keep bagging the guy and his failed relationship in multiple threads ?

How old are you ?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GPR-A duplicate2

GoranF1 wrote:
Webber2011 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Really ?

How old are you ?
7 OR 8?

Felipe 92

Webber2011 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Really ?
Maybe he is just fascinated with the size of Button's sausage. :lol: