Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ClarkBT11

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Mercedes air to water intercooler between the driver and power unit.
Force India's pictured coming from the side pod.

OO7
OO7

I always wondered why it was assumed to be seated above the fuel tank.

ClarkBT11

Could the change in cooling layout put engine customers off the idea of upgrading the power unit up to Mercedes works specification. Or they keep the original cooling and take the rest of the available changes made to the power unit?

PlatinumZealot

Force india and williams are confirmed air to air intercoolers. Andy green said it was for lighter weight and less complication. The mercedes chassis is light enough that it can take the extra system weight. Maybe next year we will see all mercedes custimers with air to water configurations.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

wuzak
wuzak

PlatinumZealot wrote:Force india and williams are confirmed air to air intercoolers. Andy green said it was for lighter weight and less complication. The mercedes chassis is light enough that it can take the extra system weight. Maybe next year we will see all mercedes custimers with air to water configurations.
I believe that they haven't used the water intercooler before because it weighs extra and they don't have the cash to spend on making the chassis that little bit lighter to stay at the minimum weight.

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

Yes, I think we've discussed this and the alleged reasons, before.

Merc has had a very different layout to its customers since 2014.

The customer teams have still not adopted it, even after 2 years and multiple charge cooling system changes.

Which is interesting, don't you think?

skoop
skoop

godlameroso wrote:
skoop wrote:Is there any Information on the amount of tokens Merc will spend for their next PU upgrade and what the changes will be?
Are you really that eager for them to add an extra 50 hp? Seriously, I don't know what else they could add to the power unit that they haven't already. At this point it's about making small optimization, and realistically the only place they have left to upgrade is the ERS.

*edit: Most likely around the US gp.
The Merc fan in me says: Hell Yeah! :D
The f1 fan in me says: No. I wish for Renault and Ferrari to catch up so will at least see some fights for the win.

Everyone is talking about the timing of Lewis' engine penalty and that they'll wait for the engine upgrade. So I was wondering what the upgrade will be.

ClarkBT11

wuzak wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Force india and williams are confirmed air to air intercoolers. Andy green said it was for lighter weight and less complication. The mercedes chassis is light enough that it can take the extra system weight. Maybe next year we will see all mercedes custimers with air to water configurations.
I believe that they haven't used the water intercooler before because it weighs extra and they don't have the cash to spend on making the chassis that little bit lighter to stay at the minimum weight.
But will the new updated components of the power unit need the Mercedes water to air Intercooler, stopping the rest with air to air to get the updated power unit. That would be quite under hand/clever knowing your competitors can't afford to change their cars internal layout.

ME4ME

ClarkBT11 wrote: But will the new updated components of the power unit need the Mercedes water to air Intercooler, stopping the rest with air to air to get the updated power unit. That would be quite under hand/clever knowing your competitors can't afford to change their cars internal layout.
That would actually be quite stupid since its in Mercedes interest to make Williams, FI and Manor look strong, and take some of the credit. They aren't competing for the same spot anyway.

hurril
hurril

ClarkBT11 wrote:Could the change in cooling layout put engine customers off the idea of upgrading the power unit up to Mercedes works specification. Or they keep the original cooling and take the rest of the available changes made to the power unit?
What change?

ClarkBT11

hurril wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:Could the change in cooling layout put engine customers off the idea of upgrading the power unit up to Mercedes works specification. Or they keep the original cooling and take the rest of the available changes made to the power unit?
What change?
Sorry I meant difference between the cooling package. I thought the customer teams haven't used all the updates that are available to them?

hurril
hurril

ClarkBT11 wrote:
hurril wrote:
What change?
Sorry I meant difference between the cooling package. I thought the customer teams haven't used all the updates that are available to them?
As far as I understand this, cooling and various piping is left to the customer teams to sort out.

Blackout

ClarkBT11 wrote:Mercedes air to water intercooler between the driver and power unit.
Force India's pictured coming from the side pod.

https://imageshack.com/i/plJHVj4jj

ringo

You know i think this engine may use both air and water intercoolers. Ferrari seems to be doing it, and ferrari may in fact stole that idea from Mercedes.
Theoretically there is more control over the cooling of the engine with the water intercooler because there is control over a water pump which may be electrical.
Any rules regarding cooling pumps, and them being mechanical or electrical?
For Sure!!

gruntguru
gruntguru

Yes - I am curious as to why they might use both air and water. You can certainly maintain accurate (and faster) charge temperature control with either type simply having a parallel pipe and control valve for the charge air to bypass the cooler. This also allows the HX to cool down to near ambient during periods of high "bypass", so a shot of colder air is available if needed.
je suis charlie