2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Alonso will have to revert to the previous spec engine
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar ... ak-810033/

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Not a great start to the weekend for Alonso or indeed McLaren but at least it'll give a decent comparison between the new spec and old spec PU.

CjC
CjC

And he's had to take a penalty so starts from the back. No points for Alonso then again. Shame

It's the same story for Honda. They try to improve and something one way or the other spoils it
Just a fan's point of view

F1NAC

GoranF1
GoranF1

Since he will start last they need to use another new PU(7th) so they dont get any penalties in the future...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sayeman

Will ALO run the upgraded PU in the race?
Never Give up.

adrianjordan

GoranF1 wrote:Since he will start last they need to use another new PU(7th) so they dont get any penalties in the future...
Agreed.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sayeman

Anyone has any speed comparison data between the new and old PU
Never Give up.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Being a MCL fan is hard [-o<

godlameroso

They're not doing too bad, Alonso was lapping similar to Raikkonen in the long runs in FP2. I think the closest race to judge them by is Baku, because it's a similar type of circuit with the long straights. Tomorrow will paint a different picture I assume, as the engineers go over the data and fine tune things. All in all it's a step forward, they're a little bit closer to the front runners than they were in Germany, but I think the nature of the circuit masks that somewhat. They can get anywhere from p10-p6
Saishū kōnā

techman
techman

mclare long run pace was pretty good, mclaren and williams going for bigger rear wing, i dont its the right way in spa, redbull have gone for skinny rear wing, so is mercedes, both these team are quick here, dont know why mclaren went for heavy drag, and useless monkey wings when other dont. very inefficient chassis

Alonso Fan

techman wrote:mclare long run pace was pretty good, mclaren and williams going for bigger rear wing, i dont its the right way in spa, redbull have gone for skinny rear wing, so is mercedes, both these team are quick here, dont know why mclaren went for heavy drag, and useless monkey wings when other dont. very inefficient chassis
the whole of the middle sector is corners. so I don't think they're putting the wings on for drag...

they have a decent chassis, so why not exploit it in the middle sector?

that said, we could still yet see a Monza spec car tomorrow in fp3

anyhow, my guess is that they found that they can make more time up in the middle sector with the bigger wings than they can with the skinny wings on the straights
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Sayeman

Lot of people complementing the new sound of the Honda engine and how it is different from the other manufacturers.
Anyone has any idea why it sounds so different? I heard the better sounding a engine is, the less efficient it is.
Is it the case here?
Never Give up.

godlameroso

Well you can tell when a car has retarded ignition, like on engine braking because the pitch is deeper, and you can tell when a car has it's timing advanced because it becomes a smoother higher pitch sound.
Saishū kōnā

Sayeman

Alonso - "I still don’t have a feeling for the performance of the revised PU, as today we ran it only in conservative modes, so tomorrow we’ll see how much we can push. I’m sure it’ll be a step forward.”
Never Give up.