2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
j.yank
j.yank

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This is very power hungry circuit with almost no braking which means less energy recovered by MGU-K and respectively less energy deployed by ERS. In this case the weight of the ICE increases but this is exactly the weakest part of Honda PU. All other teams that rely on chassis qualities (RBR, STR) also underperformed today. So, don't panic - this should be expected. Strange, but the they put a lot of expectations for this race that at this stage cannot be supported. Probably this was a mistake. I understand that this is their home race but first of all you should be honest with the fans and not push too much excitement in advance.

dobbster71

Please don't interpret anything emotive in my questions. I just wanted some opinions.
Furthermore, I chose to compare McLaren with Torro Rosso due to both teams running unique PU's. No other team runs a Honda PU & no other team runs a 2015 Ferrari PU.

As for whether Haas has a better chassis than Williams; my answer would be "no". However, I do believe that the PU's that both teams utilise are pretty much on a par with each other. However, this is just my own, impartial opinion.
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

Alonso Fan

dobbster71 wrote:Please don't interpret anything emotive in my questions.
Judging by the amount of question marks, it seemed quite emotional :)

But I understand. It's very hard to convey how you said something purely in text
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

dobbster71 wrote:I just wanted some opinions.

Furthermore, I chose to compare McLaren with Torro Rosso due to both teams running unique PU's. No other team runs a Honda PU & no other team runs a 2015 Ferrari PU.
Actually that's a very good point. My opinion is that McLaren have a better chassis, certainly aerodynamically, than TR. I'm not entirely sure whether it is as good as TR at warming tyres or delivering mechanical grip though. And imo the Honda Pu is better than the 2015 Ferrari Pu, although how much is hard to say. And it is well known that the Honda Pu is some way behind the Renault Pu still, but being as good as, or better than a 2015 Ferrari Pu in the second season of running is pretty much where I'd expect it to be since they're a year behind on development.

And McLaren's chassis is 4th at best
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

Sayeman wrote:
kasio wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:Suzuka is a great racetrack"
"but the truth is that our car is ill-suited to its long straights and mid- to high-speed corners." EB
"Boulier Bouls*it."
Honda is tolerating Boulier for now because they know the PU is not the best on the grid.
This guy would've been kicked out of the team long ago if it were Renault instead of Honda.

Not sure why Boulier is there, dennis runs the whole circus anyway.
Come on Sayeman.
Dennis runs it cause he OWNs a majority of McLaren and Boulier cause Dennis decided!

You know Renault were not happy to see him go when he was there and were challenging RBR and Ferrari. So I'm not sure what you're taking about.

I've mention this before but Boulier is a Manager(racing director). If you're not happy with the car, you're really complaining about Simon Robert, Matt Morris, Tim Goss, Peter Prodrommou and David Redding. . Boulier doesn't design anything.

tom101
tom101

Re: Honda Power Unit

Red bull behind Ferrari, Hass in Q3...

In suzuka the engine is more important than they thought.

But also the chassis is far from been the 3rd one

Alonso Fan

PU improvement's really visible in that video, from the start of the video till the start/finish line when they start the lap
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

PhillipM
PhillipM

loner wrote:what is the rational explaination to SUzuka qualy weak performance!!
It's a heavily power biased track that requires great drive-ability too due to the mid-high speed sweepers that you're accelerating through. It's always been a hard track for poorer engines as you can't put more downforce on to make up for driveability issues without being a sitting duck on the straights (See Alonso last year.....GP2!)

GoranF1
GoranF1

Alonso Fan wrote:PU improvement's really visible in that video, from the start of the video till the start/finish line when they start the lap
A lot more correction whit steering wheel on 2015 car also.....car has improved on all fronts alot its just that everybody else improved almost as much...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

PlatinumZealot

loner wrote:what is the rational explaination to SUzuka qualy weak performance!!
The track looks like a power track- at least for qualifying this year!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Goran2812
Goran2812

diffuser wrote:
Goran2812 wrote:and he should shout it... honda did epic work from last season, mclaren not so much... they've been telling tales all year long how the chassis is great bla bla, and then this happens... on hondas home gp... such a shame...
Before you cast the first stone remember that Ferari has out qualified RBR. does that mean yhey have a better chassis?
Power is more important than chassis on Suzuka... Ferrari PU >> Renault PU
And sometimes all the dots connect,for some better, for others worse so...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

godlameroso

The car had heavy understeer compared to the faster cars, who knows maybe they'll be better in the race.
Saishū kōnā

Rudex
Rudex

RedNEO

Goran2812 wrote:
diffuser wrote:
Goran2812 wrote:and he should shout it... honda did epic work from last season, mclaren not so much... they've been telling tales all year long how the chassis is great bla bla, and then this happens... on hondas home gp... such a shame...
Before you cast the first stone remember that Ferari has out qualified RBR. does that mean yhey have a better chassis?
Power is more important than chassis on Suzuka... Ferrari PU >> Renault PU
And sometimes all the dots connect,for some better, for others worse so...
Pretty much. Let's hope for rain and a bit of luck to even things out.