2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bill shoe
bill shoe

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Yea it's the end of an era, but it's also a work in progress. Meaning it's not over yet. Frank Williams is still there, more retired than pushed aside. Ron Dennis was there until a few days ago. The things he personally put in motion like Alonso and Honda will be there for years to come. Bernie, my god Bernie!!, has outlived almost all of them and is still there doing Bernie things ("If they don't like the terms then they don't have to sign, but it's take it or leave it"). Keke Rosberg's kid and Jos Verstappen's kid are frontrunners. Adrian Newey is still doing wizardly things with the cars.

It's the ending of an era, yes. But not completely done. It's roughly analogous to an American Baseball fan in 1935 saying it's the end of an era because Babe Ruth was retiring. All true, but baseball continued to make many classic eras for the next 80 years.

That's how I'm selling the change to myself. Not sure if it's sticking.

Thunder

Seems he had quite a close relationship to McLaren other than bringing in Sponsors for some while. Seems like a dude that knows what he is doing. Let's see what he can do.

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren111

He comes highly rated !!

Should see new title sponsor soon :D :D :D

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
BTW, did you critizice Vettel or it´s only bad when it´s Alonso?
Ahhh seriously, I think you are better than this. Dont imply that I am a hater just to reinforce your opinion. In that case I could insinuate that you are a blind Alonso fan and you justify all the says. But I think you are not. I have tried to give some reasons and explanations to criticize his answers(and I mentioned another driver too), just to have a healthy and inteligent discussion.

And the obvious answer is YES, I criticize Vettel as I did on the post related to Mexico. His comments were extremely direspectful and there no excuse to justify them. They are the best drivers of the world, they MUST handle with pressure. If they cannot they should leave it.

And once again, I could justifty the pressure if we are talking about a weak driver. But come one, Alonso:

1. The same one who resisted during 25 laps the pressure of Michael Schumacher in Imola.

2. The same driver who gave 0 chances to Sebastian Vettel in Singapur in 2010.
3. The same one who has said several times that those cars are too easy to drive, to handle and that he cannot push because of the tyres.

Seriously, if Alonso cant handle the pressure of driving a car that he has said its easy to drive, I dont know who on earth can do it. The only reason to answer this is fustration, and I understand that such a good driver can express his fustration sometimes because McLaren-Honda´s bad work is ruining his last years in F1.

I guess that Alonso and his engineer has reached an agreement about this subjet much faster than you and me. :lol:

mclaren111

Motorsport.com
Rather than replacing Dennis, Brown will report directly to McLaren Technology Group's Executive Committee. Both Jonathan Neale (Chief Operating Officer) and Brown will jointly lead the businesses as part of the first step in the Group's transition to a new and strengthened organisational structure.

Motorsport.com understands that Brown's role will effectively be a racing-only position, which will also leverage his trademark marketing skills, and that he won't have any duties on McLaren's automotive or applied technology businesses.

The process of identifying and recruiting a new Group Chief Executive Officer will continue.

Interesting

PS. Seems more like a gap filler until Bernie goes

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Seems like Mclaren is laying out the foundation for taking the Mercedes-approach to 'modern f1 running'.

Right, I'm a slight bit comforted with Brown now, but then again, will have to see first. I had high hopes for Ferrari when Arrivabene was appointed, and the hopes grew fast when Vettel took in a win, but that went downhill even faster after that. Mclaren isn't in the 'best' position at this point. It's advancing, but not with the degree we would like to see. Then again, maybe we've just been spoiled for a long time and simply have to realise its natural 'movement' in the F1 'world'.

My biggest concern is stability for the team at a moment when just that is the most important factor.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Andres125sx

Vasconia wrote:And once again, I could justifty the pressure if we are talking about a weak driver. But come one, Alonso
You´re confusing being a strong driver with being a cold driver. Radio comunications do not depend on how fast/slow he is, but on how cold/vehement he is, and as most spanish and latinos, he´s quick-tempered

Moreover, even Kimi (aka Iceman) is rude frequently, and Jenson. Even the colder and most gentlemanly drivers on the grid are rude from time to time, but you think one of the most quick-tempered should be polite :roll: #-o

If it was only Alonso, Vettel, and the most passionate drivers you could argue they should try to calm down before hitting the radio button, but since even the colder drivers on the grid do it from time to time, I think any smart person should consider the possibility that what he consider normal maybe is not normal. Think about this this way, there are two posibilities, you should accept F1 drivers are not polite when into the cockpit because of the pressure, or the whole F1 grid should learn to be polite. What do you think is the most reasonable option, it´s the whole F1 grid who should change his mind or it´s only you and the fans who complain about their radio coms?. What do you think is more reasonable?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I'm sure Nelson Piquet has cursed a vicious amount of more evil from his cockpit compared to Vettel and Alonso.
Do we bother? no, why would we. Heat of the moment, and really, dont we from time to time feel angry for whatever stupid reason?
I'm rather sure 80% of workers worldwide once in their time, perhaps during work even, mumbled ***h*le about their co-worker or perhaps even boss.
is that such a big deal? nah.

it's turned in a big deal by comparison of one would have recorded that mumbling and now let's it hear to everybody in the company. suddenly it's an issue.

was Vettel rude? yes. should he kept a lid on it? definately. Was it neccesary to broadcast that language? HELL NO.

This stuff wasn't recorded in the 80's or 90's and i'm sure it happened just as much. Would we alter our looks on these drivers if we heared all the 'harsh' words
that came across the radio in history? i surely hope not.

so why bother, really. it was indecent, but let's be fair, he's surely punished enough by having been made a fool of himself publicly, AND above it all, his 3rd place got
taken back over something arguably more confusing.

I'm rather sure it can be frustrating at times behind the wheel, especially when you're doing all you can with a trashcan car with a trashcan engine in the back, and you're being
told what to do, and then a few laps later you need to retire because the trashcan car will crumble if you don't stop immediately.

Kimi was applauded for responding harsh on the radio in the Lotus a couple years ago "yeah yeah yeah i know what i'm doing, leave me alone" but when Alonso does it we
scream blood and murder? come on.

leave things be.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Thunder

#aerogollum

bauc

Thunders wrote:Nice Interview with Mr. Brown:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 1472035319
Ah you beat me to it, just was about the post the same....

Anyway, great interview...my soul its a bit calmer now
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Jolle
Jolle

bauc wrote:
Ah you beat me to it, just was about the post the same....

Anyway, great interview...my soul its a bit calmer now
I wander what the mid/long term vision is for McLaren for the 75% shareholders and what Brown's task will be.

The biggest problems with Dennis were (in my opinion) that he couldn't keep his promises after the reinvestment of the shareholders when Mercedes sold its 40% stake with the following coup with Chinese money.

If they want, investment wise a status quo and expand the McLaren brand, that would be a good thing. If Brown has the task to make McLaren more sellable or going for short term succes, that would be bad.

Guess we'll find out in a couple of years.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Vasconia wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
BTW, did you critizice Vettel or it´s only bad when it´s Alonso?
Ahhh seriously, I think you are better than this. Dont imply that I am a hater just to reinforce your opinion. In that case I could insinuate that you are a blind Alonso fan and you justify all the says. But I think you are not. I have tried to give some reasons and explanations to criticize his answers(and I mentioned another driver too), just to have a healthy and inteligent discussion.

And the obvious answer is YES, I criticize Vettel as I did on the post related to Mexico. His comments were extremely direspectful and there no excuse to justify them. They are the best drivers of the world, they MUST handle with pressure. If they cannot they should leave it.

And once again, I could justifty the pressure if we are talking about a weak driver. But come one, Alonso:

1. The same one who resisted during 25 laps the pressure of Michael Schumacher in Imola.

2. The same driver who gave 0 chances to Sebastian Vettel in Singapur in 2010.
3. The same one who has said several times that those cars are too easy to drive, to handle and that he cannot push because of the tyres.

Seriously, if Alonso cant handle the pressure of driving a car that he has said its easy to drive, I dont know who on earth can do it. The only reason to answer this is fustration, and I understand that such a good driver can express his fustration sometimes because McLaren-Honda´s bad work is ruining his last years in F1.

I guess that Alonso and his engineer has reached an agreement about this subjet much faster than you and me. :lol:
Stop this nonsense, please. I didn't want to take part in this but really you're reaching the limits.
"If they can't handle this, they should leave." The stupidest quote of the year. Their job is to drive not to sing to your ears. Let them do what they know best. By the way, as you proved yourself , Alonso (and other drivers), do handle the pressure but sometimes with the heat of the moment and the disappointment of fighting in the back they can get angry, especially if you tell them to push in wrong moments. (push where? in mexico that overtaking is almost impossible?) For god shake, we will criticize, possibly, the best driver on grid because he told his mech to do his job. This is nothing. Everyone says things and way way worse than that but they don't get transmitted. Only top driver radios sell. Also, if you don't like to hear it, close your ears. Real drivers that have passion express their feelings and they're not politics. I can even understand Vettel, although he brought this to another level xD, but it's ok. We're wasting our time with this for utter nonsense that happens regularly and naturally. If you criticize drivers by few team radios and not by on-track performance then you are in the wrong place, sorry. Wanna hear to what footballer's say when they play? Probably you will faint if you do. And for the record, if you are a top driver and in 2015 you were fighting for P15 and now for points instead of fighting for the championship is even more frustrating. I'd also recommend you to try a competitive sport and taste how it feels to be under pressure, because from the couch we can say many things...

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

What a surprise, a media-correct well-thought out and pre-planned interview with the intent to let the reader/hearer
hear/read what he before didn't know he supposedly wanted an answer for and now gets the reassurance by actually
not giving answers but simply rephrasing the questions like your average politician or text-book lawyer.

Zero 'reassuring' for me here. See then believe. meanwhile:

Thunder

Eric must really haunt your Dreams right? ^^
#aerogollum

kasio
kasio

Manoah2u wrote:
What a surprise, a media-correct well-thought out and pre-planned interview with the intent to let the reader/hearer
hear/read what he before didn't know he supposedly wanted an answer for and now gets the reassurance by actually
not giving answers but simply rephrasing the questions like your average politician or text-book lawyer.

Zero 'reassuring' for me here. See then believe. meanwhile:

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/fol ... 373998.jpg
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/fol ... 374038.jpg
Ya. Same feeling about this. no trust at all. Hoping for winds of changes very very soon.