Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
miket
miket

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Is this a new nose ?

F1NAC

No..

Mr.G

It looks new. They make the openings bigger by changing the pilars.

Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

bhall II
bhall II

I think it just looks new because of the angle. Seen in profile, it's more obvious that nothing has changed. (But, I've been wrong about illusory images before.)

It seems they're playing around with ballast...

Frafer
Frafer

bill shoe wrote:
Frafer wrote: Look at the speedo, still on full throttle but going slower at the end of the straight
The optimal laptime (in the race, not qualy) would involve dumping all possible power into the MGK in the early and mid part of a straight. Then, just before braking, the MGK lets off or possibly even sucks up energy to replenish the battery.
Yep, but why Mercedes and Renault aren't doing it?
here we go again btw
revs dropping at 300 meters sign, before turn 14
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

turbof1

Looks like increased MGU-H harvesting? I can't really explain why else speed would drop without DRS closing, lifting throttle or braking.

It might be a tactic to save engine life.
#AeroFrodo

Frafer
Frafer

turbof1 wrote:Looks like increased MGU-H harvesting? I can't really explain why else speed would drop without DRS closing, lifting throttle or braking.

something, K or H, changing from deploying to charging.... there are a lot of possibilities, state of charge of battery, avoiding turbo lag in the following corner exit with H, engine setting

EDIT: it could be they are saving some watts cutting the K in order to deploy H and spool the turbine afterwards..
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

ME4ME

turbof1 wrote:Looks like increased MGU-H harvesting? I can't really explain why else speed would drop without DRS closing, lifting throttle or braking.

Posted this elsewhere after Bahrain:

What happens at the end of the straight might be a tactic rather than an issue. Basically running the MGU-K in generator mode before going off-throttle in order to harvest more energy. Mercedes confirmed this winter that deployment and harvesting strategy is vital to the performance of the power unit. The car keeps track of steering, braking and throttle inputs from the driver and knows at any moment in time were it is on track, and thus is able to apply the pre-programmed deployment/harvest strategy. Ferrari might intentionally harvest additional energy at the end of each straight when in clean air without cars in near proximity.

The reason for this could be to cover a (build-in) deficiency of the MGU-H. In harvest mode the motor generator unit harvest energy at the cost of slight back pressure counteracting the ICE. There is a balance to be had, between electrical power generated and power-loss at the crankshaft caused by back pressure. In order to reach the power output they strive for, Ferrari might run the MGU-H "lean", meaning slightly less electric power is generated, while more power is generated by the ICE because of less back pressure. This would optimize peak power output as long as the generated energy lasts to power the MGU-K. In order to be apply the MGU-K at each acceleration zone, they might just need some extra energy which they cannot or do not want to generate with the MGU-H, thus using the -K in generator mode at the end of the straight.

Sevach
Sevach

If they deploy the full bananas early on a straight and turn the harvesting up after the car essentially hitting top speed it's actually quite an ingenious system.

Juzh

Sevach wrote:If they deploy the full bananas early on a straight and turn the harvesting up after the car essentially hitting top speed it's actually quite an ingenious system.
Everyone does that?

giantfan10
giantfan10

Juzh wrote:
Sevach wrote:If they deploy the full bananas early on a straight and turn the harvesting up after the car essentially hitting top speed it's actually quite an ingenious system.
Everyone does that?
i think most cars seem to do it under braking, Ferrari in race trim seem to do it once top speed is reached. I dont know what the benefit would be , A few websites are saying that it is to protect the turbo, they claim that the turbo is not at max RPM in race trim because of kimis turbo issue in race 1. So they are not producing enough electricity via the MGU-H to spool the turbo in low speed corners to combat turbo lag and provide max boost on circuits with a lot of straights like bahrain.This is said to be a compromise untill upgrades in spain. it is a plausable explanation but who knows if its true. we shall see after the engine upgrades planned for spain.

henry

I think this is likely to be a simple harvest strategy.

If we assume 304 kph is terminal velocity with the MGU-K switched on then the terminal velocity with it switched on would be around 325. I haven't been following this GP too closely but I think this is about what they got in qualifying.

So all that is happening is switching off the MGU-K. They can then divert the MGU-H output to the ES. Perhaps 40 or 50 kW for a couple of seconds, about 100 kJ.

To run the MGU-K flat out all the time they are at WOT needs about 4 MJ. Braking probably delivers 1MJ so there is a need to restrict MGU-K time and charge the ES.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

michl420
michl420

Also my understanding is to deliver 120 kw for about 60 seconds, they needed 7,2MJ per lap. Im also interested what is more effective for lap time, use the MGU-K before the braking zone short to generate with full power or just switch it off for a few seconds longer to charge the MGU-H energy?

Sevach
Sevach

Kimi overtake on Hamilton was an interesting moment, Kimi had a better exit and better acceleration early on in the straight and moved to what it looked like a standard overtake, then at some point his car just "died" and Hamilton started gaining ground.

Both cars had DRS i think (Hamilton less than 1s behind Massa).

evered7
evered7

Sevach wrote:Kimi overtake on Hamilton was an interesting moment, Kimi had a better exit and better acceleration early on in the straight and moved to what it looked like a standard overtake, then at some point his car just "died" and Hamilton started gaining ground.

Both cars had DRS i think (Hamilton less than 1s behind Massa).
Even before that in the long straight, Kimi pulled alongside Lewis after a slipstream yet Lewis gained on him. And then after the corner, Kimi tried taking the regular line after the overtake, but Hamilton was still gaining ground on him despite being slower overall.

Edit: Didn't realize we both were talking about the same incident. I thought you meant the part after the hairpin where Lewis stayed with Kimi and it was kind of close between them before Kimi got to it eventually.
Last edited by evered7 on 17 Apr 2016, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.