Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1NAC

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Based on what Abiteboul said last year how they used new pistons in old PU makes clear what you saiid
The new parts will be run from Friday practice – in the engines that were used in Monaco – and then a decision will be made on whether or not to stick with that power unit for the rest of the weekend or switch to a fifth power unit.

Big Mangalhit

giantfan10 wrote:
ripper wrote:As far as I know reliability clause is used to make changes, or let's say... "hidden upgrades", to the PU without using tokens, but those changes can be done on a new PU and can't be done on already used ones.

The point is that every upgrade that can be done without spending tokens is great advantage. Last year "reliability changes" made by Mercedes in Canada in an excellent example
I dont thinks thats correct. This is a snippet from an article about renaults reliability upgrades from last year... it appears that you can use that type of upgrade on a used engine.
I might be wrong but I think it all depends if the upgrade is something that can be implemented without breaking any FIA seal. If not I think it can only be made on a new engine. I am 100% not sure either way though

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Big Mangalhit wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
ripper wrote:As far as I know reliability clause is used to make changes, or let's say... "hidden upgrades", to the PU without using tokens, but those changes can be done on a new PU and can't be done on already used ones.

The point is that every upgrade that can be done without spending tokens is great advantage. Last year "reliability changes" made by Mercedes in Canada in an excellent example
I dont thinks thats correct. This is a snippet from an article about renaults reliability upgrades from last year... it appears that you can use that type of upgrade on a used engine.
I might be wrong but I think it all depends if the upgrade is something that can be implemented without breaking any FIA seal. If not I think it can only be made on a new engine. I am 100% not sure either way though
§5.22 of the technical regulations:  Replacing  power  unit  parts:
Refer  to  the  table  in  Appendix  2  of  these  regulations.
The  parts  listed  as  “EXC”  in  the  table  referred  to  above  may  be  changed  without  incurring  a
penalty  under  Article  28.4  of  the  F1  Sporting  Regulations.  If  changing  any  of  these  parts
involves  breaking  a  seal  this  may  be  done  but  must  be  carried  out  under  FIA  supervision.  Any
parts  changed  may  only  be  replaced  by  parts  homologated  in  accordance  with  Appendix  4  of
the  F1  Sporting  Regulations.

Appendix 4, §5 of the sporting regulations:
A manufacturer may apply to the FIA during the course of the homologation period to carry
out modifications to their homologated power unit for the sole purposes of reliability, safety,
cost-saving.
Applications must be made in writing to the FIA Technical Department and must provide all
necessary supporting information including, where appropriate, clear evidence of failures. The
FIA will circulate the correspondence to all manufacturers for comment. If the FIA is satisfied,
in its absolute discretion, that these changes are acceptable, they will confirm to the
manufacturer concerned that they may be carried out.

From that I get that only certain parts can be replaced with previously homologated parts, and if they break seals they have to be replaced under FIA supervision, this would appear to include parts upgraded for safety, reliability and cost reasons.

The type of part needing replacing is restricted by appendix 2 of the technical regulations:

turbof1

3jawchuck wrote:
Big Mangalhit wrote:
giantfan10 wrote: I dont thinks thats correct. This is a snippet from an article about renaults reliability upgrades from last year... it appears that you can use that type of upgrade on a used engine.
§5.22 of the technical regulations:  Replacing  power  unit  parts:
Refer  to  the  table  in  Appendix  2  of  these  regulations.
The  parts  listed  as  “EXC”  in  the  table  referred  to  above  may  be  changed  without  incurring  a
penalty  under  Article  28.4  of  the  F1  Sporting  Regulations.  If  changing  any  of  these  parts
involves  breaking  a  seal  this  may  be  done  but  must  be  carried  out  under  FIA  supervision.  Any
parts  changed  may  only  be  replaced  by  parts  homologated  in  accordance  with  Appendix  4  of
the  F1  Sporting  Regulations.

Appendix 4, §5 of the sporting regulations:
A manufacturer may apply to the FIA during the course of the homologation period to carry
out modifications to their homologated power unit for the sole purposes of reliability, safety,
cost-saving.
Applications must be made in writing to the FIA Technical Department and must provide all
necessary supporting information including, where appropriate, clear evidence of failures. The
FIA will circulate the correspondence to all manufacturers for comment. If the FIA is satisfied,
in its absolute discretion, that these changes are acceptable, they will confirm to the
manufacturer concerned that they may be carried out.

From that I get that only certain parts can be replaced with previously homologated parts, and if they break seals they have to be replaced under FIA supervision, this would appear to include parts upgraded for safety, reliability and cost reasons.

The type of part needing replacing is restricted by appendix 2 of the technical regulations:
http://picpaste.com/pics/sYkr7DVX.1461313227.PNG
The parts you are allowed to replace without inserting another PU component, are limited to mostly supports, plumbing and auxilliary parts. Replacing parts not belonging to that exclusion list, for either performance or reliability/costs/safety reasons, need a new allocation of the involved component.

As you can see on that list, you are allowed to change everything in 5.22 column, without inserting a new PU component allocation:
-Wastegate/pop-off valve
-air inlet system from plenum entry to cylinder
-PU exhausts from the exhaust flange
-An assortiment of pumps and associated parts specifically used for cooling the ICE
-Pumps used for cooling the ERS components
-PU oil tank and associated auxilliary parts
-MGU-k/H transition components and mounting accessoires
-Some ES parts
-Wiring between the ICE, MGU-K, MGU-H,...
-Supports, struds, brackets,... to keep the whole deal in place
-Actuators
-Heat shielding
- Water Accumulators
-Hydraulics

You get the point: these are none-core parts. A piston however is a core part. I think the quote from Abiteboul last year is misleading:
The new parts will be run from Friday practice – in the engines that were used in Monaco – and then a decision will be made on whether or not to stick with that power unit for the rest of the weekend or switch to a fifth power unit.
What I get from this is they had to switch to a 4th allocation for the involved components already. If these parts did not work, they would have changed to another set of allocations.
#AeroFrodo

ripper
ripper

On f1analisitecnica this morning they wrote that Ferrari will bring two new ICE with changed combustion chamber (3 tokens of 9 spent), along with a new Shell fuel. This modification is done to implement better HCCI tecnology and to "put a patch" to turbolag/harvesting/deployment of MGU-H, by increasing exhaust gasses volumetry.

At Montreal there's planned to upgrade the turbocompressor part too that should fix definitely this problem.

They also speak about some changes to the front part of the car, but on their twitter accounts they said: "no new front nose, no s-duct".

source: http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2016/04 ... ml?refresh

armyk
armyk

I told you guys... everybody said that the nose the used during the test will not race and here it is... I am possitive, it will race for whole seasson.
They never done any major change in aero during the seasson. I am glad they bring new ICE to Russia, I hope it will close the gap to Merc.

GPR-A duplicate2

But Arrivebene seems to believe they are already on par with Mercedes here.
Ferrari: Gap to Mercedes is just one tenth

And if that is true, then the updates that they are bringing to Russia, should theoretically put them ahead of Mercedes. :?
What if even with these new updates they stay quite a lot behind?

Mr.G

armyk wrote:I told you guys... everybody said that the nose the used during the test will not race and here it is... I am possitive, it will race for whole seasson.
They never done any major change in aero during the seasson. I am glad they bring new ICE to Russia, I hope it will close the gap to Merc.
Well I'm lazy to search for the correct time, but I'm 100% sure that they came up with this solution during mid-season.

Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

ferkan
ferkan

GPR-A wrote:But Arrivebene seems to believe they are already on par with Mercedes here.

And if that is true, then the updates that they are bringing to Russia, should theoretically put them ahead of Mercedes. :?
Actually this is from Italian interview, and he said according to their calculations, they were around one tenth in China, not every race.

Tbh Toto and Merc are talking more about Ferrari then Ferrari does which is weird, but only if one forgets next years rule change.

giantfan10
giantfan10

GPR-A wrote:But Arrivebene seems to believe they are already on par with Mercedes here.

It doesnt appear that they are a lot behind though.. the first 3 races have been a clusterbleep for Ferrari and Hamilton for that matter...maybe we will have a normal race next week to find out who is really where in the pecking order... should be a 1 stop race .

Alcatraz
Alcatraz

ripper wrote:On f1analisitecnica this morning they wrote that Ferrari will bring two new ICE with changed combustion chamber (3 tokens of 9 spent), along with a new Shell fuel. This modification is done to implement better HCCI tecnology and to "put a patch" to turbolag/harvesting/deployment of MGU-H, by increasing exhaust gasses volumetry.

At Montreal there's planned to upgrade the turbocompressor part too that should fix definitely this problem.

They also speak about some changes to the front part of the car, but on their twitter accounts they said: "no new front nose, no s-duct".

They copied it from here. There they speak about 3 tokens http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrar ... hi-689177/ http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... gp-689198/

Alcatraz
Alcatraz

It's good to have updates
Last edited by Alcatraz on 22 Apr 2016, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mangalhit

Alcatraz wrote:
ripper wrote:On f1analisitecnica this morning they wrote that Ferrari will bring two new ICE with changed combustion chamber (3 tokens of 9 spent), along with a new Shell fuel. This modification is done to implement better HCCI tecnology and to "put a patch" to turbolag/harvesting/deployment of MGU-H, by increasing exhaust gasses volumetry.

They copied it from here. There they speak about 3 tokens http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrar ... hi-689177/ http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... gp-689198/
Was it not the other way around? f1analisitechnica has comments since 10h50, but i guess that proves nothing and I have no idea what came first

Alcatraz
Alcatraz

Big Mangalhit wrote:
Alcatraz wrote:

Was it not the other way around? f1analisitechnica has comments since 10h50, but i guess that proves nothing and I have no idea what came first
No. The first to write was the Italian version of motorsport http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrar ... 89177/?s=1

Look from google

Motorsport 9 hours ago

F1analisitecnica

They copied it

The Pj
The Pj

I am the author of the article on FUnoAnalisiTecnica, I'm sorry to tell you that you're wrong. Our article came out at 9:31 :mrgreen:

You don't often meet someone willing to say that out loud. No copying. :lol: