Williams FW38 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: Williams FW38 Mercedes

Bite-size tech: Williams FW38 details

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bite- ... ls-735720/

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Sevach
Sevach

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Reckoner
Reckoner

LookBackTime wrote:from ScarbsTech - Elegant Williams suspension bracket :

for me looks like is 3D printed - any opinion?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiRd_VJWwAAwbGs.jpg:large
It's pretty common knowledge here in the paddock that they 3D print a large amount of the rear including the G/Box. I believe its done in Alsi9Cu3 alloy and In718 (Nickel Alloy - High temp metal).

Pierce89

Reckoner wrote:

It's pretty common knowledge here in the paddock that they 3D print a large amount of the rear including the G/Box. I believe its done in Alsi9Cu3 alloy and In718 (Nickel Alloy - High temp metal).
Which parts of the gbox are rapid prototyped? surely none of the loaded internals are viable. Did you mean the outer casing?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Reckoner
Reckoner

Pierce89 wrote:
Reckoner wrote:

Which parts of the gbox are rapid prototyped? surely none of the loaded internals are viable. Did you mean the outer casing?
I believe all outer casing including suspension pick up points. Internal wise oil gallery components and major drive lines. The actual cogs are processed in a different manner but they have nearly cracked it where by they can 3D print the whole thing. Incredible stuff.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Reckoner wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
Reckoner wrote:
I believe all outer casing including suspension pick up points. Internal wise oil gallery components and major drive lines. The actual cogs are processed in a different manner but they have nearly cracked it where by they can 3D print the whole thing. Incredible stuff.
There is no reason they wouldn't be able to manufacture the whole thing using additive methods right now, however there is no need to. Gears, shafts, bearings etc. are either easier, cheaper and quicker to manufacture using traditional means or source-able from an external company. Additive manufacturing makes no sense for these parts.

JDC123
JDC123

3jawchuck wrote:
Reckoner wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: Which parts of the gbox are rapid prototyped? surely none of the loaded internals are viable. Did you mean the outer casing?
There is no reason they wouldn't be able to manufacture the whole thing using additive methods right now, however there is no need to. Gears, shafts, bearings etc. are either easier, cheaper and quicker to manufacture using traditional means or source-able from an external company. Additive manufacturing makes no sense for these parts.
Having been to xtrac, a leading gearbox manufacturer for F1 and motorsport and having research extensively I can tell you that none of the gearbox is manufactured from 3D printing. Gears and shafts are all manufactured using milling techniques and casing are made from either sand or investment casting. I imagine the only time 3D printing is used is to evaluate prototype parts for future designs. ALthough Williams manufacture their own gearboxes and not xtrac I see no reason why they would opt for 3D printing which is far more expensive and significantly slower than conventional manufacturing techniques.

Sevach
Sevach

Williams testing the effects of extra downforce.

Don't even know how to describe this thing...
Last edited by Sevach on 17 May 2016, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Last edited by LookBackTime on 17 May 2016, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Tobi Grüner
Williams testing special rear wing with extra winglets. Not legal. Only for high-downforce simulation. #AMuS

LookBackTime
LookBackTime