McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
j2004p
j2004p

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

Look at all that space inside the rear bodywork, there's more litres there than a few family hatchbacks!

Steven
Owner

rccrdc wrote:http://i64.tinypic.com/1z2izwx.jpg

New diffuser?
Quite interesting that they apparently found that such a big piece inside the exhaust pipe isn't a problem in relation to back pressure on the turbo charger..

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

DiogoBrand

It's interesting how the air seems to spill right off the nose. I used to think it would be directed more upwards, following the angle of the bodywork instead of 'falling' to the sides right away.
That also makes me wonder about the effectiveness of their S-Duct. Since the angle is so steep, I wonder if the air actually follows the shape of the duct outlet instead of just spilling to the sides. If you look closely you can see there's some flow-vis only on the outer edge of the duct, which may confirm my theory.

Bear in mind I have no aerodynamic knowledge whatsoever, so this is purely speculative.

seezung
seezung

atlantis
atlantis

danielk
danielk

From Sky F1
McLaren to run more new parts in Melbourne

Eric Boullier has been speaking to reporters in the lunch break and, depending on whether you're a glass full or glass half empty kind of person, there are different ways to interpret his verdict on testing.
Firstly, he confirmed McLaren haven't been able to test all of their Melbourne-spec parts here - but, in sharp contrast to the situation 12 months ago, believes the MP4-31 is generally a reliable car:

"We are not running the 2016 spec here. We are a bit behind the programme. So that means we are going to turn up in Australia with more bits on the car that has unfortunately not been signed off here. But it is what it is.

"We have been able to run most of the days, which is very good news. In terms of chassis, it's important that we could go through all the systems, which we couldn't do last year, which for us is a good achievement. Now we have a reliable car, more or less, to start the season - so definitely more confident.

"There will be more to come now. The base looks okay and there will be much more performance in the coming weeks."

Thunder

AMuS has dome more Pictures of the Front Wing:

And a random one from the Side:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

horse

Is this redirecting the exhaust gasses? Up and to the sides maybe?

EDIT: Are there also bluffs in the wastegate pipes? That´s weird, no? <- Trick of the light, I think,
Last edited by horse on 04 Mar 2016, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

horse

In context, I propose that this is working with the monkey seat, spreading the exhaust plume over a wider operating surface.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

PhillipM
PhillipM

I posted this in the engine thread but it really belongs here too - is anyone half decent with CFD that can run a simple sim on that - I'm not sure but I suspect they're using vortex shedding from the pylon in the exhaust to broaden the flow and attach it to the monkey seat and then rear wing?

I just can't see how it could be powerful enough to put up with obstructing the exhaust gases given the energy the turbine is extracting already.

radosav
radosav

Found this on other forums, the guy who recorded it says Fernando on last day of his test did this many times. He would take last corner very fast than on straight he would slow don on dirty side then accelerate again.

Thunder

They should definitely incorporate some of that red FlowViz into their Livery. ^^

Comparsion old and new FW Cascades:
Last edited by Thunder on 04 Mar 2016, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

PhillipM
PhillipM

Testing long/consecutive deployment?

KingHamilton01

Some nice new bit's on the front wing, Development already at a nice rate! positive that new parts are coming to the car all the time.
McLaren Mercedes