Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Re: Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

CBeck113
CBeck113

JakeP wrote:its not clear seen it in person today :)
Thanks Jake, that is a statement which clears up the discussion.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Big Mangalhit

Jolle wrote:
Big Mangalhit wrote:
Gridlock wrote:
That really doesn't seem to be the case in this shot, every single straight line appears where it should with zero reflection angles?

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Red ... 935671.jpg

I'm prepared to accept it is, optical illusions are about 20% of this forum :D but if so that's one hell of a photo.
Well, if a reflective surface is perpendicular and perfectly centred with a perfectly symmetrical t-tray then the reflected lines would appear exactly in the same place has it was transparent. Except maybe the lower one which seems to have a different shade of blue cause by different lightning of the edge of the T-tray (so it could be different from right to left). Still I am not convinced one way or the other.
Go back to page six on this topic to see it more clear. It's metal! :P
Thank you, it clears it, least for me. I guess this was the F1tech version of the white/gold_blue/black dress

matt21

Red Bull with a new duct: (all pictures from amus)

Rikhart
Rikhart

https://streamable.com/68yk

Absolutely lovely view of some of the airflow around this car, especially coming from the front wing!

gandharva

matt21 wrote:Red Bull with a new duct: (all pictures from amus)
Same like last year. Driver cooling.

DiogoBrand

CBeck113 wrote:I am absolutely sure that, since F1 teams never try any new solutions, that there is no need to even question the material being used. #-o

Long live the open technical discussion!
When there are pictures clearly answering the question and everyone is just too lazy to look for it, then tere's absolutely no need to discuss the materials being used. :wink:

FW17

What are the ducts in the air box area made of; Carbon fiber or plastic ?

armyk
armyk

FW17 wrote:What are the ducts in the air box area made of; Carbon fiber or plastic ?
With carbon fibre reinforced plastic :)

JesperA
JesperA

So no S-duct in Australia? Did they run an S-duct at all in the pre-season testing?

FW17

armyk wrote:
FW17 wrote:What are the ducts in the air box area made of; Carbon fiber or plastic ?
Thx

I thought some of these parts would be 3d printed these days

trinidefender
trinidefender

FW17 wrote:
armyk wrote:
Thx

3D printed parts are heavier and weaker.

bill shoe
bill shoe

FW17 wrote:
armyk wrote:
Thx

Perhaps some of the molds are 3D printed to save time?
I think there are typically some parts like brake ducts and air management inside the wheel that are 3D printed due to relatively light aero loads and complex shape. I know there are a few printed parts on almost every car.

Moose
Moose

trinidefender wrote:3D printed parts are heavier and weaker.
Not always.
1) both of these depend on the materials used
2) 3D printed parts can produce much much more complex shapes than any other manufacturing technique, which often saves a significant amount of weight, and gives a significant amount of strength
3) 3D printed parts can be printed with functional pieces built inside of casings, meaning that casings need no openings, seals or attachments, again, increasing strength and decreasing weight.

armyk
armyk

3D printing is good for very complex shapes (organic like) or prototype parts. They are always heavier/weaker compared to moulding. You cannot compare with CFRP, it is superior in every aspect, you can only compare it to plastic only.
It is weaker mainly because of layers are "welded" (basically nothing to do about it). In one axis they can break very easily due to that.
And don't forget they can 3D print metals and then heattreated so it it behaves almost like it was moulded.