Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

want to see it with a fully ensembled f1 car, curious on the full aesthetic of this device, it looks marvellous as it is right now.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

more pics

"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

either way, this IS the future.

turbof1

f1316 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/all/photo/mai ... 10627&s=-6

So I guess we have to use thread (even though it is 'On the car') to discuss the red bull canopy.

http://www.motorsport.com/all/photo/mai ... 10627&s=-6

I actually think this is very cool. I have zero issues from an aesthetic perspective and think it still looks like a formula 1 car - just a 21st century one.
For the record: impact on aerodynamics specific to the red bull car is perfectly allowed to be discussed in the RB12 thread.

It is to avoid a situation where we have 2 of the exact same discussions in 2 different topics.

You are right of course: strictly speaking it is a part of the car. But having the debate concentrated in this topic is overall better. Just note given hardware relevancy posts about this subject will not be removed, only moved to here if it is about aesthetics or safety.
#AeroFrodo

Thunder

Now seeing the Fact that the Aeroscreen is nice and Shallow in Angle i think it looks really good. Not far to a full Canopy. Hopefully the Crash Tests are succesful. This Solution looks so much more refined and developed than the Halo.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

what i'm really hoping for is for a 'return' to a roll-hoop that does not have a airbox in it, but a system like that the 1988 mclaren for example, and side-intakes like this

would accomplish rather a fighter-jet like look.

VFC_Cipher
VFC_Cipher

Here is my 100% purely technical commentary...

SEXY AF

OneAlex

Manoah2u wrote: the fun thing about these windscreens are that they open a whole new opportunity for on-screend displays, like modern cars have projections on the screen. laptimes, distance between opponents, rpm, speed, engine vitals....OSD style like in racing games. that would be awesome, and would ultimately lessen the neccesity of a complicated steering wheel.
I hadn't even thought of that sort of thing up until now but you're right it could massively increase the possibilities for HUD information should drivers wish it.

Although of course I can already see the debate with that one in terms of keeping it as a "traditional screen" and concentrating on racing versus how far along the "video game display" it goes (part of the track you're on, nearest driver behind and in front etc).

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

interestingly, with the radio ban, there would be more of a demand for the driver to have 'up-to-date' information about both the car and the track/opponents. HUD display would improve safety imho as the driver doesn't need to deflect his eyes to the steering wheel.

i think there would not be such a huge 'programming' job to make a standardised system which could actually be paired to television entertainment where there are live feeds from the car itself, making it possible through an app for the fans to follow their driver live whilst watching the race.

i think it would be beneficial if f1 would start switching to more driver-oriented functions instead of vehicle functions, they're doing so much on the steering wheel it's just absurd. if they would make the rules as such as that demand would be cut in half, you return to the point where there is more of a need for technical perfection paired to driver quality.

simply put - the driver 'updates' or 'switches' car setups 'live' whilst driving in various stages of the track and race. this sortof takes away the quality of one driver versus another - imagine a battle between Hamilton and Alonso on 100% equal cars that are not able to change during a lap. It would come down to how the driver delivers and how he manages to perfect his control over the vehicle. Hamilton would have his strong points and weaker points, and Alonso his. it would result imho in a more honest competition.

as now, we have vehicles that 'adapt' and the only factor the driver really seems to have is the switches he turns and how well he's set up his car.

either way, i'm wandering off far.

turbof1

There's something about this that gives me a smile, a smile which has not been for a while in F1. Does anybody know why?

The why is that we have something new in the sport, something which opens doors. We start dreaming about the possibilities, like we used to in F1.

:D
#AeroFrodo

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

this.

f1 aesthetics are going to change, permanently. just like they did in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. how exciting!
let's hope the rulebook gets revised and opens up for a whole bunch of new possibilities.

a more or less standardised safety-cell paired with a 'canopy' and the rest open for.....anything!

what do we want? F1 pinnacle of motorsport engineering and technological advancement.
when do we want it? RITE NOW!!!!

Tauri_J
Tauri_J

The canopy could have been a little lower, its way over the top of the helmet...but still miles ahead of the stupid halo

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Tauri_J wrote:The canopy could have been a little lower, its way over the top of the helmet...but still miles ahead of the stupid halo
I'm inclined to agree, but to be honest, i think most of us here are lacking intel on the matter. Point is, at what 'height' is a canopy concidered 'adequate' for the purpose it has, and at what 'height' does it block the line of sight? i think the thickness of the upper part [the actual halo if you may] is as such because the device is not yet developed thoroughly.
Meaning, that it probably needs to be as high to avoid the 'halo' or the 'structure' blocking the line of sight for the driver.
in other words, the canopy might get lower if the structural development advances to a point that the 'halo' can be skinnier.

at the same time it might be that the screen needs to be that high because if it were to be lower, it might not protect sufficiently.

again, i presume we simply don't have the intel the constructors in F1 have to come to a full understanding and thus a decent understanding.

nevertheless, i like this - but - am still curious to see whether Mercedes or another team might have an even better solution, though i think this redbull-aeroscreen hits the nail on the head, mind it with room - probably a certain need - for development.

like said. a whole new 'world' opens up.

i know it's never gonna happen due to the dangers to the neck in case of an accident - think about the reason why there's the hans device - but imagine F1 with this screen no longer needing a helmet to protect the driver. imagine being able to see the driver's face, perhaps with a open helmet with goggles like the 'good ol' times of mister Moss.

the thing i like most of this is that it is a canopy but it's not closed. its still open-wheel formula racing. it's not a class of LMP.
is there a complete picture available of a fully assembled vehicle by now?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

more pics

looks great.

vs the ferrari thing

which kinda reminds me of this

the redbull one reminds me of this

OneAlex

My only concern with the screen so far is how it will look on the whole car. We've only had close-up shots at the moment which do look amazing, but the higher screen may serve to accentuate the current F1 cars' low elephant-trunk noses...

(Which to my mind is more reason to bring back higher noses like the one above next to the RAAF jet. The safety argument was always a spurious knee-jerk reaction to a single event anyway.)