Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Closed Cockpits agreed for 2017

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Probably better off just putting a windscreen under the cross bar instead of that central pillar methinks.
The Red Bull solution could use this, top structure of the halo, for heavier objects like tires, with a windscreen underneath it, better visibility, protection from small objects, better looks in my opinion.

siskue2005

FW17 wrote:
FW17 wrote:That looks horrible

Isn't that fiorano track?? Which means that they have already tested it before and that car looks like 2010 ferrari

SunsAnvil
SunsAnvil

I have to say that, while I am in support of improved safety, that thing is ugly and seems to obscure the drivers vision which could lead to more accidents. I don't see this as a viable solution.

FW17

It is not a real picture

The scarbs image has been edited onto a Ferrari car with a helmet camera (car is also from 2010 I think).

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

looks like here is better to publish it :)

hollus

In this picture the steering wheel seems to obstruct vision more than the halo does.

Rivals, not enemies.

Phil1984
Phil1984

double post
Last edited by Phil1984 on 05 Mar 2016, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

Phil1984
Phil1984

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

I do agree that something must be done regarding the drivers’ head protection, yet I cannot become friends with a halo on a formula 1 car. However, coming from another profession and therefore having no skills at all in CFD or similar I just painted a solution in good old MS paint this evening that I had on my mind for some time now. Maybe it is just utter nonsense as I am not an engineer, but anyways: Why not extend the airbox to a point that is vertically just shortly ahead of the driver’s helmet and let it act as some kind of deflector for bigger debris such as tires?
As the halo concept’s idea is to deflect only bigger debis such as tires and maybe medium-sized parts of the bodywork, this solution should be sufficient insofar as that it still matches the aesthetics of an open wheeler with an open cockpit and additionally doesn’t hinder the driver’s view. If done right the area ahead of the driver’s head should be a little smaller than the surface of a tire and therefore in case of a frontal accident a tire should hit the airbox first and already lose a ton of energy before hitting anything else. Maybe the cockpit sides should in that case be extended to that given line to furthermore help the driver’s safety.
Due to its increased length the airbox should furthermore be supported by mandatory braces/pylons with a given area that should protect the driver in cases of side impacts. If designed correctly drivers should – although a more tricky admittedly – still be able to exit their cockpits in less than 5 seconds.

Just a thought with some draws. Nonsense or worth thinking about? Feel free to take those pictures in case you want to add anything.

Version a:

Version b:

Original Williams FW38:

F1NAC

If the airbox is right above drivers head like that how will he get in and out of the car and what will protect him from incomig objects in front ?

DarkAlman
DarkAlman

I still think they should consider a front cockpit glass approach like they had on some of the cars in the 70's.

I big piece of fighter jet acrylic or plexi that's transparent and at an angle that would deflect incoming debris.
Add a second roll hoop in front of the driver to support the glass and voila!

*Please excuse the crudity of my napkin style MSpaint drawing

Phil1984
Phil1984

As stated, the airbox needs to be ahead of the driver's helmet on a thought vertical line, this should prevent getting hit by bigger objects such as tires (and so on). Smaller objects can still hit a driver, but the halo concept is not any better in that regard. Furtermore as stated, if designed right a driver should be able to slide left and right out of the cockpit right along the airbox. Although it is tricky, yet it is possible and should - with a little training - be manageable to do in 5 seconds or less.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Something like this, apparently similar to what redbull are working on, looks like a far better version than what we saw today.

f1316
f1316

Still think a combination of the following would work:

- stronger helmet for massa type incidents

- immobiliser for cars where tyres not properly attached + stronger tethering

- low noses supposed to stop cars flying over others in collisions; if not working, test and go further

- virtual safety car to avoid Bianchi incidents

Do you then need head protection?

FrukostScones

Looks better than expected.

a thing like that would have probably saved Surtees Jr.

RIP
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Phil1984
Phil1984

double post
Last edited by Phil1984 on 05 Mar 2016, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.