one paddle start procedure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Frafer
Frafer

one paddle start procedure

Quoting http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/novita ... re-678663/ this year there is no more a bite point finder procedure during the starting grid formation, they are going to use one single paddle and no more two; it's gonna be fun to see anti stall engaging and some burnouts too.. =D> =D> =D>
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

strad

Re: one paddle start procedure

Oh man. If true I think that's great.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

I don't see the point because the construction and the way the clutches work a little pre-load is necessary before you give it the full torque of the engine. And all the teams will do is just reprogram the boost control to ramp up from a lower level.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

strad

Not sure what you are saying.
It will put a smooth start back on the driver.
Unless they find yet another work around that they can say isn't TC, we will see a lot of tire smoke. I assume most of them would rather light up the tires than stall the car.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

TheScrutineer
TheScrutineer

Did a bit of research on this from various website and collated it together for my race review...

http://dmanf1.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/if ... alian.html
Last edited by TheScrutineer on 23 Mar 2016, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

Bence
Bence

Am I the only one who wants to see mechanical clutch, throttle linkages and manual gearboxes?

There was a certain joyous perversion watching for example Jean Alesi's rocket starts...

TheScrutineer
TheScrutineer

Bence wrote:Am I the only one who wants to see mechanical clutch, throttle linkages and manual gearboxes?

There was a certain joyous perversion watching for example Jean Alesi's rocket starts...
There is a certain romance about the whole thing. Even with this single paddle system its all fly-by wire. Im sure there is software that drops the clutch in a specific manor also even if the driver controls the biting point.

Pat Pending
Pat Pending

So is the single paddle not simply a hand operated clutch then? If not then what does it do?

Juzh

With the ban on 2 clutch paddles I guess teams adopted a 2 step single clutch paddle, which basically does the same thing. That's my guess anyway since hamilton explicably said the new system is almost the same as previous one and it made little to no difference.

Tim.Wright

Lewis says that about everything.

If I remember correctly there has long been a clause in the rulebook forbidding and mechanical/tactile 'indent' or similar in the clutch paddles to help the driver locate the bite-point.
Not the engineer at Force India

PlatinumZealot

Does anyone have the technical regs for this ruling?

strad

9.2 Clutch control :
The following applies only to the main drivetrain clutch or clutches, any clutch used exclusively as part of an ERS is exempt.
9.2.1 If multiple clutch operating devices are used, they must all have the same mechanical travel characteristics and be mapped identically.
9.2.2 Designs which allow specific points along the travel range of the clutch operating device to be identified by the driver or assist him to hold a position are not permitted.
9.2.3 The minimum and maximum travel positions of the clutch operating device must correspond to the clutch fully engaged normal rest position and fully disengaged (incapable of transmitting any useable torque) positions respectively.
9.2.4 Designs or systems which in addition to typical inherent hydraulic and mechanical properties are designed to, or have the effect of, adjusting or otherwise influencing the amount, or rate, of engagement being demanded by the FIA ECU, are not permitted.
9.2.5 The amount by which the clutch is engaged must be controlled solely and directly by the driver with the exception of :
a) Stall prevention.
b) Gearshifts.
c) Bite point finder where brake pressure, wheel speed and driver clutch demand safeguards are used. (HUH???)
d) De-clutch protections.
e) Drivetrain protection on the track outside of any start lockout period or immediately following stall prevention activation only.
f) Test signals enabled only when the car is connected to the garage system.
The relationship between the clutch operating device in the cockpit and the amount of clutch engagement may be non-linear but must remain fixed.
9.2.6 When the clutch operating device is released from its maximum travel position it must return to its resting position within 50ms.
The maximum delay allowed, computed from the respective signals as recorded by the ADR or ECU, between the clutch driver control input signal and the corresponding output demand being achieved is 50ms.
9.2.7 Any device or system which notifies the driver of the amount of clutch slip or engagement is not permitted
I don't understand "B"
Sir Stirling Moss

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Tim.Wright wrote:Lewis says that about everything.

If I remember correctly there has long been a clause in the rulebook forbidding and mechanical/tactile 'indent' or similar in the clutch paddles to help the driver locate the bite-point.
Huh I never knew that. Looks like what 9.2.2 is referring to. Kind of bizarre, I mean that's how you operate a clutch.... by feel. And ok muscle memory too, but weird. So it's just a linear-resistance paddle?

Pierce89

BanMeToo wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:Lewis says that about everything.

Huh I never knew that. Looks like what 9.2.2 is referring to. Kind of bizarre, I mean that's how you operate a clutch.... by feel. And ok muscle memory too, but weird. So it's just a linear-resistance paddle?
I would imagine it's like a shorter travel of your typical hydraulic clutch, so not necessarily "linear" but they can't make a special "notch" in the feel to help the driver.
β€œTo be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

β€œI've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

PlatinumZealot

strad wrote:
9.2 Clutch control :
The following applies only to the main drivetrain clutch or clutches, any clutch used exclusively as part of an ERS is exempt.
9.2.1 If multiple clutch operating devices are used, they must all have the same mechanical travel characteristics and be mapped identically.
9.2.2 Designs which allow specific points along the travel range of the clutch operating device to be identified by the driver or assist him to hold a position are not permitted.
9.2.3 The minimum and maximum travel positions of the clutch operating device must correspond to the clutch fully engaged normal rest position and fully disengaged (incapable of transmitting any useable torque) positions respectively.
9.2.4 Designs or systems which in addition to typical inherent hydraulic and mechanical properties are designed to, or have the effect of, adjusting or otherwise influencing the amount, or rate, of engagement being demanded by the FIA ECU, are not permitted.
9.2.5 The amount by which the clutch is engaged must be controlled solely and directly by the driver with the exception of :
a) Stall prevention.
b) Gearshifts.
c) Bite point finder where brake pressure, wheel speed and driver clutch demand safeguards are used. (HUH???)
d) De-clutch protections.
e) Drivetrain protection on the track outside of any start lockout period or immediately following stall prevention activation only.
f) Test signals enabled only when the car is connected to the garage system.
The relationship between the clutch operating device in the cockpit and the amount of clutch engagement may be non-linear but must remain fixed.
9.2.6 When the clutch operating device is released from its maximum travel position it must return to its resting position within 50ms.
The maximum delay allowed, computed from the respective signals as recorded by the ADR or ECU, between the clutch driver control input signal and the corresponding output demand being achieved is 50ms.
9.2.7 Any device or system which notifies the driver of the amount of clutch slip or engagement is not permitted
I don't understand "B"
That seems to be clutch algorithms that generate a map for the clutch based on the parameters mentioned, when the driver does his "bite point find." I know this used to be done by most if not all teams. The computer would adjust the clutch map for bite point based on all these after the driver feeds it data during the practice starts.