Testing at Catalunya

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Principessa

Testing at Catalunya

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/2511

Well testing began again, the only thing to hold on a bit during looking forward to next GP, and the first one at normal hours for us, European people :wink: !

I think Ferrari won't top the sheets tomorrow as the other teams and Renault will join the action.

DarkSnape

of corsee BMW will be on top :D joke anyway ferrari will not be able to fight with us

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

From the schedule, Ferrari intend to test all four days. Not surprising,considering how caught out they were at Australia. Their lack of knowledge of the properties of the softer tire was a real blow to them, and one reason for their being so far off the pace the first part of the race. Especially since the upcoming race is at Imola, considered their "home" track. We may not see the fastest times from Ferrari, but I personally believe they will put in a very large number of laps testing a lot of variables, especially tires.

jaslfc
jaslfc

no disrespect to renault but i hope that other teams can close the gap.. nice to see button kimi and shumy gives alonso a good fight in imola

Becker4
Becker4

thats where the other teams started to last year, hopefully we have another battle like fernando and schumi had last year again this year!

Tp
Tp

Re: Testing at Catalunya

Principessa wrote: I think Ferrari won't top the sheets tomorrow as the other teams and Renault will join the action.
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=35557

Yeah Heikki Kovalainen for Renault was at the top of the timetables, Marc Gene for Ferrari, who was fastest yesterday, ended Wednesday 16th of 18 runners.
:?

DarkSnape

Principesa u can post more pictures with F1.06 BMW by Catalunya? i want to se the new modifications. Thay say that will be a new front wing and a rear wing to. Today only front suspension sufered a little modification. 10q

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I was checking how many laps each team has been running in testing. To me, that is more relevant than pure times.
Ferrari have been tops in laps covered, with Williams also putting in a serious effort too. Yesterday Ferrari put in 100 and 98 laps, while Williams did 96 and 96. Red Bull 50 and 51, and STR had one car do 89 laps. Today, Ferrari 108 and 115, Honda 107 and 114, Renault 114 and 45, Toyota 88 and 71, red Bull 97 and 84, Williams 83 and 54, BMW 75 and 93, McLaren 73 and 31, STR 107, and SA 76.
So far Ferrari have devoted 421 laps in two days. Next closest is Williams doing 329, Honda with 221.
That good people, is very serious testing.

Principessa

Renault was testing serious too....but as you can read in the test notes of Renault (in news) you can see that Alonso had technical problem, so he had to stop his testing programme very early. Kovalainen tough put 114 laps down. That is huge amount too! And Liuzzi was driving like a maniac as well today!

PNSD
PNSD

Ferrari were by far the most impressive this test...

Look behind the times ;)

Ferrari were doing longer runs, but the thing was on a 6lap run by Renault Ferrari were able to match them on a 20odd lap run =/

Massa spent the day lapping in the low 1.16's with more than twice the fuel Renault had. While Renault were lapping low 1.16's to mid 1.16's

Ferrari have found alot of pace as it seems.

Scuderia_Russ

PNSD wrote:Ferrari were by far the most impressive this test...

Look behind the times ;)

Ferrari were doing longer runs, but the thing was on a 6lap run by Renault Ferrari were able to match them on a 20odd lap run =/
Ferrari 1-2 on the cards for Imola I reckon. 8) :wink:

m3_lover

As Everybody says you can not read too much into testing as different teams are running different programs. The only way we will know is when qualifying and racing has started and finish
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

We can look at past problems, or shortcomings, and make reasonable guesses at some goals. For sure, Honda wants to get good pace on cool tires, that really cost Button a lot in Australia. McLaren has had two rear supension failures, one through contact, the other most likely from curbs. Since it's imperative to jump curbs at Imola, they have to get those suspension pieces to last throughout Imola. Ferrari never was able to make decent soft tire runs to build a reasonable database for Australia, and I'm very sure at Imola they will have tons of notes on different tire characteristics. They will have the correct tire choice for qualifying, and the race. I don't expect their pace to be as far off as Australia was. BMW and Renault appear to have well balanced cars, with no glaring weak points, and just need the constant refinement in all regimes. Williams have a real quick car, but reliability issues have reared it's ugly head in the last few races.

Principessa

Scuderia_Russ wrote:Ferrari 1-2 on the cards for Imola I reckon. 8) :wink:
I don't think so. I really don't believe that testing says it all. As M3_lover said the teams have different test programmes. Altough, we have to say that Renault has topped most of the tests and that they are doing really really well so far. 3 wins out of 3 races.

I think that in Imola Renault, McLaren, Ferrari and Honda will be on top again! Who will win...well, we'll just have to wait 10 more days to find out I guess.

PNSD
PNSD

Massa was tyre testing..

He blitzed everyone on long runs!

Alonso is running similar pace to Massas yesterday, today...

But the fact remains... Alonso is doing far shorter runs than Massas yesterday.. and only just matching... ='/

Also Ferrari are the ONLY team not have gone out to set a 'quick' team.

Honda today, well JB are all over the place lol.

Welll one thing is certain.. they've looked to solved their problem... I their fastest runs on are on the first lap :wink:

But on average Alonso is CONFORTABLY in the low to mid 1.16s!

But yea. We will see at Imola.... 8)