Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
turbof1

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Well, for once the off-season is not going to be so boring as the previou seasons :lol:
#AeroFrodo

Gerhardsa

turbof1 wrote:Well, for once the off-season is not going to be so boring as the previou seasons :lol:
To that we can all agree!

namao
namao

Gerhardsa wrote:
namao wrote:Mercedes wants ALO but ALO wants to stay in McLaren Honda so let's get Alonso out of the equation. It won't happen.
How do you come to that conclusion?
All the evidence and history points to the contrary.
Firstly, having in mind that all the spanish/german/english "tabloids" (Marca, AS, The Sun, Bild...) said that ALO is going to be in Mercedes, that probably won't happen.

Second, ALO has always searched for that "emotional" thing in F1. He doesn't like winning WC with Red Bull, Force India or Mercedes. He wants to win with "legendary" teams as Ferrari, McLaren, Williams or Renault. Also, he started with 3 years old in a McLaren Honda go-kart replica. He always said that he wants to end his F1 career winning with the real McLaren Honda and finalise in that romantic way.

Third. ALO has a 3 year contract with McLaren (yes, contracts can be broken) and is an unfinished job. What is the point to leave now?

Fourth: 2017 new regulations. Anything could happen. Anything. Is a very high risk to make such a huge move to other team.

Fifth: Zak Brown, Eric Boullier and ALO is saying these days that he is committed to the project.

Sixth. Mercedes don't need a top driver to win. Anyone with the best car on the field could do it.

Also, I hope to be wrong. I would love to see ALO/HAM battling for the WC.

PS: Joe Saward: "The man who is probably most likely to get the Mercedes drive is Valtteri Bottas, who is in the fifth year of a five-year Williams contract. His salary will not be enormous. He is also managed by a company in which Toto Wolff is a shareholder and the Austrian has always had a strong interest in Valtteri’s career. This might raise questions of corporate governance issues for Mercedes but Wolff does not need to be the one negotiating the deal. Niki Lauda can do that."
Last edited by namao on 06 Dec 2016, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

ME4ME

Thunders wrote:Joe Sawards take on it:
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/12 ... -brackley/
Thanks for sharing. Very well written and sensible piece of text, in my opinion.

Gerhardsa

I would not listen to Bild, the Sun or anyone.
I will however listen to quotes from Wolff, Brown, Boullier. (Funny enough...no quotes on the subject from Alonso himself unfortunately)

From the quotes from Wolff, it sums up as : We will talk to him and see if we can get him into the seat

From Brown and Boullier, it sums up as : We have a contract, but we cant really stop him if there is a clause (which they are tight lipped about ) and things like Boullier saying : It would be a shame and a mistake for Fernando to leave .

This things to me says, he can get out if he wants to.

Then, the having a Go-Kart from 3 looking like a McLaren. If anything in the world of F1 PR has tought me (from the sidelines mind you) is that these guys say "mostly" what they are told to say.
Alonso said that back in 2006/07 when he signed 1st time for McLaren? and I think with Ferrari, and now again with McLaren?

I would not read anything into that. Its just PR nonsense.

Its F1, so the best of the best, and you want to beat them all. These drivers would go to Manor if it was a WDC and WCC dominating car. I don't think its about the money or the type of team, their legacy (At the stage guys like Alonso are). ect for guys like Alonso and them anymore.

They have the fame, they have the money...all they care about is winning, proving you are best, and getting/giving yourself the best possible chance at doing that.

And lets not forget... These are the Silver Arrows... The dominators that started the whole "show" in the first place back in the 30's, 40s and 50s.

It just does not get much more "legacy" or "romantic" than that.

But as this is my opinion, so are your posts yours.

I just try and read through the BS. No doubt its early, even for Merc to know who will drive for them, but to me 1 thing is clear:

The nr 1 target for Mercedes has to be Fernando Alonso (for reasons I've mentioned before).

He is hungry as hell to win again and because he is the best (by a mile) "available" on the grid currently.

He wants that seat, I can guarantee you, as would every other driver, probably apart from good old Kimi.....cause, you know, he probably just don't care...lol

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Gerhardsa wrote:I would not listen to Bild, the Sun or anyone.
I will however listen to quotes from Wolff, Brown, Boullier. (Funny enough...no quotes on the subject from Alonso himself unfortunately)

From the quotes from Wolff, it sums up as : We will talk to him and see if we can get him into the seat

From Brown and Boullier, it sums up as : We have a contract, but we cant really stop him if there is a clause (which they are tight lipped about ) and things like Boullier saying : It would be a shame and a mistake for Fernando to leave .

This things to me says, he can get out if he wants to.

Then, the having a Go-Kart from 3 looking like a McLaren. If anything in the world of F1 PR has tought me (from the sidelines mind you) is that these guys say "mostly" what they are told to say.
Alonso said that back in 2006/07 when he signed 1st time for McLaren? and I think with Ferrari, and now again with McLaren?

I would not read anything into that. Its just PR nonsense.

Its F1, so the best of the best, and you want to beat them all. These drivers would go to Manor if it was a WDC and WCC dominating car. I don't think its about the money or the type of team, their legacy (At the stage guys like Alonso are). ect for guys like Alonso and them anymore.

They have the fame, they have the money...all they care about is winning, proving you are best, and getting/giving yourself the best possible chance at doing that.

And lets not forget... These are the Silver Arrows... The dominators that started the whole "show" in the first place back in the 30's, 40s and 50s.

It just does not get much more "legacy" or "romantic" than that.

But as this is my opinion, so are your posts yours.

I just try and read through the BS. No doubt its early, even for Merc to know who will drive for them, but to me 1 thing is clear:

The nr 1 target for Mercedes has to be Fernando Alonso (for reasons I've mentioned before).

He is hungry as hell to win again and because he is the best (by a mile) "available" on the grid currently.

He wants that seat, I can guarantee you, as would every other driver, probably apart from good old Kimi.....cause, you know, he probably just don't care...lol
Good to see logical deductive reason still excists.

and yes, I am a clear advocate of Alonso in the Merc.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

bauc

For me if Mercedes can get Bottas or Grosjean it would be a win win situation for them. A competitive & constant driver who can deliver a victory here and there given the right tolls.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

a1b2i3r45

I think the only way Alonso can end up in Merc, if Bernie brokers a deal. Bernie wants to spice the show up and his choices are Alonso and Verstappen for the vacant seat at Merc. As Verstappen is out of the equation, I think Alonso and his management team will push Bernie to convince Merc to hire Alonso and to broker a deal between Mclaren and Mercedes.

santos
santos

I don't belive that Alonso will go to Mercedes. He have a contract, he said we wanted to beat the Mercedes, he his happy at Mclaren... so he doesn't even want to go.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

My prediction? Alonso goes to Mercedes, McLaren deliver title winning car, while Mercedes flounder under new regs.

In all seriousness though, it's no secret Alonso wanted to join Mercedes when he left Ferrari, and McLaren was the only other option he had. Suddenly, what he wanted is now available while he's currently sitting in an uncompetitive McLaren... I know where I would want to be.

Interestingly, no statements from Alonso yet, only the team that desperately want to retain him. Heck they even put an option on a retiring Button as an insurance policy for if Alonso walks away mid season next year.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 06 Dec 2016, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

Diesel wrote:My prediction? Alonso goes to Mercedes, McLaren deliver title winning car, while Mercedes flounder under new regs.
That would solve Alonso's 7 tenths mistery: he always leaves them behind at his former team :P.
#AeroFrodo

Dazed1
Dazed1

Re: Alonso >One wonders if good drivers forget how to drive when they are in a second rate(fifth rate?) car for years.
>In any case I am sure the team at Mercedes sifts through this thread before every meeting this month. ;)

turbof1

Dazed1 wrote:Re: Alonso >One wonders if good drivers forget how to drive when they are in a second rate(fifth rate?) car for years.
>In any case I am sure the team at Mercedes sifts through this thread before every meeting this month. ;)
Ah ---, now I have to report to Toto wolf his secret driver review comittee has been burned.
#AeroFrodo

Thunder

Dazed1 wrote:Re: Alonso >One wonders if good drivers forget how to drive when they are in a second rate(fifth rate?) car for years.
Just rewatch the Austin GP. :mrgreen:

Edit:

Fwiw, Gerhard Berger votes for Wehrlein as clear nr. 2 Driver.
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 20605.html
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum