Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

What do you mean, Vettel negotiations?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Some people are so obsessed with their driver that they think that another driver in position is just a tactic to get 'their' driver in a better spot.
it defies all logic, but well, everybody is entitled to their opinion!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Joseki
Joseki

Pretty strong rumors today here in Italy: Giovinazzi is going to be announced soon as a Ferrari 3rd driver. Hopefully he'll land at Sauber for next year, but I suspect Wehrlein is the best candidate for the seat.

Vary
Vary

Joseki wrote:Pretty strong rumors today here in Italy: Giovinazzi is going to be announced soon as a Ferrari 3rd driver. Hopefully he'll land at Sauber for next year, but I suspect Wehrlein is the best candidate for the seat.
But maybe with the rumor that KFC is in talks with Manor if there's no seat at sauber maybe eh could land at manor...

SectorOne

basti313 wrote:I think this is not a valid comparison. For the last two rule changes we had teams with big budget working for years towards the rule change (Bull and Honda and then Merc) without looking at current success.
All big teams definitely looked at current success as well as having their future-reg-project alongside.
Mercedes was getting faster and faster and faster from 2010 to 2013 until the regulation change.
Its true they started early but there´s nothing to say you can´t be a year ahead of everyone else aerodynamically in 2017.
Or probably more realistic, find something that others haven´t.
Engines for every year that pass should in theory converge which will only put more emphasis on aerodynamics.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

basti313
basti313

SectorOne wrote:
basti313 wrote:I think this is not a valid comparison. For the last two rule changes we had teams with big budget working for years towards the rule change (Bull and Honda and then Merc) without looking at current success.
Mercedes was getting faster and faster and faster from 2010 to 2013 until the regulation change.
True. That was more the money. Big enhancement of the aero team and nearly unlimited funds over some years for the engine.
SectorOne wrote:Its true they started early but there´s nothing to say you can´t be a year ahead of everyone else aerodynamically in 2017.
I will quote a wise person: "All big teams definitely looked at current success as well as having their future-reg-project alongside. "
I do not see any other team shifting personell, I do not see any other team having funds to prepare earlier with a big team of good engineers. So I do not believe in anyone being ahead. The teams with the best aero teams should have the best aero next year...so not much change on this point.
SectorOne wrote:Or probably more realistic, find something that others haven´t.
True. But I do not see much room for big loopholes anymore. Every F1 journalist discussed the wheelbase already, so I do not think any big team missed to do this as well early enough.
The holy grail is more likely under the visible line, how they guide the air through the chassis. And I think Merc and maybe RedBull is already on this one.
SectorOne wrote:Engines for every year that pass should in theory converge which will only put more emphasis on aerodynamics.
Also ture. But the big advantage will not vanish. Merc still has the strongest engine department and the others are in the hunt with weaker teams.
Don`t russel the hamster!

PlatinumZealot

There will be tonnes of aero tricks next year. You have to be really laid back not to expect it. The biger the car the bigger the canvas. The larger front wings and larger diffusers alone are enough room for one second silver bullets.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

The diffuser will have a big impact definately.

I suspect that the teams which have the biggest aero benefit will jump forward more,
and i can't help but expect RedBull to be supremely strong again.
Something of a gut feeling but i could see Mclaren make a huge leap forward too.
The old 'screwups' of Mclaren's past 4 years has been the result of people that now aren't there anymore, and quite frankly,
I think the aerodynamics of the Mclaren aren't bad at all. The Honda engine has been the biggest obstacle, and I also expect that that engine will
make a huge leap forward too. Count Mclaren in, i'd say - but then again, Bouillier, the RDennis affair, the new ZakBrown appointing show Mclaren is a mess.

Mercedes has enough funds to be still 'on a roll'.
Then again - there is a certain issue popping up around the corner next year, and that's the new tires.
Mercedes' biggest issue after taking over Brawn was the tires.
Yes, they resolved it and there doesn't seem to be a problem over the last 3 seasons, true.
But one has to wonder whether that is due to fine-tuning the design they were aiming for all along, or whether it really is understanding it.
We could see Mercedes struggle with the new tires at the start of the season.

Which brings me to the point that there are drivers out there that have a very solid capability of controlling their tires.
Drivers like Jenson Button, Sergio Perez, Max Verstappen come to mind.
Obviously JB is out, but which other drivers are 'known' for being gentle and good with tires?

Isn't Bottas rather easy on the tires? Would make an interesting choice for Mercedes, if Lewis - as i believe he is - is rather sensitive and less 'gentle'
on the tires. Then again, i could be rather mistaken there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ClarkBT11

This is going off topic but Lewis could make his tyres go longer than nico so I think you are wrong. Lewis would take it easy for two laps when the tyres were new and then put in consistent fast laptimes. Williams weren't very good for tyre wear so we couldn't compare the two we still might not be able to next year or have I missed something?

I hope the tyres next year are the complete opposite and don't need TLC.

TAG

The silly season in full gear...
This is what will drive the sport in America, worth a read.
http://time.com/lewis-hamilton-formula-one/

Interestingly the only other modern cover I can spot with an F1 driver is...
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

ClarkBT11 wrote:This is going off topic but Lewis could make his tyres go longer than nico so I think you are wrong. Lewis would take it easy for two laps when the tyres were new and then put in consistent fast laptimes. Williams weren't very good for tyre wear so we couldn't compare the two we still might not be able to next year or have I missed something?

I hope the tyres next year are the complete opposite and don't need TLC.
Indeed.
Hamilton was able to go from full wets to slicks in Monaco. No driver that is hard on his tyres would have been able to pull off that trick.

lio007

Lauda & Marko on ServusTV a few minutes ago (some bits are already known):
- according to lauda all drivers from the grid made a call (incl. RIC & VES)
- RIC & VES have a contract til end of 2018
- driver decision will be made by Lauda and Wolff, no word on Paddy Lowe
- decision is expected by the end of January, maybe a little bit earlier
- the whole Merc team pretty unhappy with current situation
- Marko told about / confirmed an all-new Renault PU

iotar__

lio007 wrote:Lauda & Marko on ServusTV a few minutes ago (some bits are already known):

- Endless noise, decision has been made.
- I thought Lauda was non-executive?
- Re: bold part (contradictory). Did they call Merc with 'I have a contract' info ;-) ?
- Backslapping and playing along with each other BS. Tell us Renault/Merc/Red Bull engine story instead to cheer up "unhappy" team.

SR71

iotar__ wrote:
lio007 wrote:Lauda & Marko on ServusTV a few minutes ago (some bits are already known):

- Endless noise, decision has been made.
- I thought Lauda was non-executive?
- Re: bold part (contradictory). Did they call Merc with 'I have a contract' info ;-) ?
- Backslapping and playing along with each other BS. Tell us Renault/Merc/Red Bull engine story instead to cheer up "unhappy" team.
Source?

nevill3

SR71 wrote:
Source?
He said Servus TV
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978