Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SR71

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

nevill3 wrote:
SR71 wrote:
Source?
He said Servus TV
Sorry, double bold added to the confusion.

The last bold statement isn't sourced. He said a decision has been made, what decision and source please?

tom101
tom101

I'm quite sure decision is done. For 2017 and 2018 season.

But this empty seat is giving them more communication and media presence than winning 2016 chapionship. And they will exploit that.

FrukostScones

tom101 wrote:I'm quite sure decision is done. For 2017 and 2018 season.

But this empty seat is giving them more communication and media presence than winning 2016 chapionship. And they will exploit that.
it sound s like a bad excuse, but I think they hired BOT because they didn't want to "burn" WEH career..., they need him as HAM replacement.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ScottB
ScottB

FrukostScones wrote:

it sound s like a bad excuse, but I think they hired BOT because they didn't want to "burn" WEH career..., they need him as HAM replacement.
I'd say it's more Pascal not being right.

If he was as good as he'd need to be to replace Hamilton, they'd be putting him in the car. Look at Max, or Lewis himself when he arrived in the sport.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

HAM-BOT would be 'strong'. Even though i dont rate Valterri that high, honestly.

WEH-BOT would be weak. Really weak.
Hamilton could atleast push Bottas in 'motivation' to beat him and go for a win, possibly a championship.
Wehrlein? Boring af. Haven't seen anything impressive. Having a trashcan teammate [haryanto] does not mean beating him giganticly means you are the next schumacher.
and then there's the claim he's a hothead diva. A combination that is not going to work. Bottas will have zero 'push'. I think you have a bigger chance of having a cold war
between Bottas and Wehrlein instead of 2 drivers pushing eachother to a championship.

I think personally Bottas is rather grey, and when under pressure becomes a tad clumsy.
Wehrlein, I dont even concider a color. he's not even a pencil imho. and pressure? he needs his team to tell him to finally turn the engine off and then there's the supposed
'anger' of his ForceIndia testing in 2015.

I would concider hiring Wehrlein for Mercedes the worst decision to make at this point.
Bottas would be miles and miles better - though still not my favourite to be honest.

I'm still hoping for something surprising, but i'd hardly be surprised to see Bottas there in the end.
Would weaken Williams quite a margin further and easy to beat for Force India.

I think we'd see Nasr go to Williams to be honest. He's got experience with the team, and Williams wouldn't shy away from a BdB sponsorship package.
If i had to choose between possible diva Wehrlein with a big question mark regarding performance, and a slight extra discount from Mercedes on the engines,
and Nasr whom has the potential to bring a rather well-paying and welcome sponsor, and brings experience and stability, and resulting in maintaining a Brazilian in F1,
i'd take that choice very easy: Nasr.
They know him, he's matured, he brings sponsorship, and has the potential to have Force India behind them. I also think he wouldn't be bothered much by Stroll.
As for Wehrlein - has proven nothing but to be beaten by a rookie in the end of hte season, seemingly is a hothead and potentially could be firey towards Stroll, and
brings no money but a slight discount on engines - if any.
They'll get a good deal on Bottas anyway.
Replacing Bottas with Nasr to me would be an acceptable deal.
Replacing Bottas with Wehrlein would be hanging yourself up on a tree with barbed wire around your neck.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

jonas_linder
jonas_linder

Vasconia

jonas_linder wrote:Seems Carlos is out...

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sainz ... 18-860290/
Well, nothing new here. Its obvious that 2017 should be his last year in TR, for a good reason I hope. RB is closed for him so I hope he has hade some serious talks with Renault(and maybe Mercedes but I have big doubts about this). The fact that Palmer will be another year in Renault leads me to think that they could have somekind oa pre-contract.

Vasconia

Sure, Mercedes is only giving us more time to entertain ourselves here until they disappoint us with Bottas. :mrgreen:

AMG.Tzan

"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

namao
namao

AMG.Tzan wrote:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/12/20/m ... -mercedes/
End of speculation...
2017:
1. Massa -> Williams
2. Bottas -> Mercedes

2018:
1. Sainz -> Ferrari (RAI out)
2. Gasly -> Toro Rosso
3. Hamilton -> McLaren (ALO out)
4. Werhlein -> Mercedes

hemichromis
hemichromis

AMG.Tzan

namao wrote:
End of speculation...
2017:
1. Massa -> Williams
2. Bottas -> Mercedes

2018:
2. Gasly -> Toro Rosso
4. Werhlein -> Mercedes
I would love to see Sainz in a top team! Since Rosberg is out and no big name is in his seat, I don't see Hamilton leaving Mercedes...I think he is going to retire there after some more years! And if Mclaren is still nowhere in 2017 I don't see them recruiting a big name for some years...only if Vettel falls out with Ferrari in 2017!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

hemichromis
hemichromis

I do think Bottas will have only a 1 year contract with Mercedes. So many options become available in 2018.

Vettel really must think about leaving Ferrari at the end of his contract.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

hemichromis wrote:I do think Bottas will have only a 1 year contract with Mercedes. So many options become available in 2018.

Vettel really must think about leaving Ferrari at the end of his contract.
There is no way Bottas will take a 1-year only.
A one-year only contract will kill your career. It just doesn't work and isn't worth the effort.
Only for a test driver or someone like Wehrlein, who doesn't do much good anyway.

Pedro De la Rosa was a perfect example on being someone to house for a year only, no strings attached.

Fisichella is a prime example of what not to do, when he went to Ferrari. Even though he was at the relative end
of his f1 career, you just can't 'enter' and perform in a car you have zero experience with. It is not realistic.
You need 2 years in a top team to show your potential, especially as a driver that has not been around for a very long time.

You need to adapt to the team, environment, car and set it up accordingly. It'll take 3 months of racing before you'll get the hang of driving a car that was designed NOT for you. And then you can start focusing on performing and trying to do your thing, learn, get 'settled' and recieve an adaptation for the year after that suits yourself a lot more.

1 year will be critically killing.

it won't be for just 1 year, period. 2 years certain if Bottas signs, with an option of 3 years.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle
Jolle

namao wrote:
End of speculation...
2017:
1. Massa -> Williams
2. Bottas -> Mercedes

2018:
2. Gasly -> Toro Rosso
4. Werhlein -> Mercedes
Hamilton is still under contract from Mercedes for 2018 and is so far (since he was 13) loyal to them