Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer at Hockenheim
Posted at
12:28
The top three teams may have sorted their driver line-ups for next year, but further down the grid it is all getting very tasty, driver market-wise.

Sergio Perez has emerged as a key figure in movements. He has an option to stay at Force India, but is being strongly linked with a move to Williams. Renault are also interested in him but the Mexican is considered more likely to go to Grove, where he would likely partner Valtteri Bottas.

Williams, meanwhile, are likely to promote their development driver Lance Stroll, who is doing well in Formula Three this year and has a very rich father. He could well become reserve driver next year with a view to promotion to a race seat in 2018. Obviously, if Perez moves to Williams, that is potentially bad news for Jenson Button because if McLaren pick Stoffel Vandoorne as a partner for Fernando Alonso next year, that would leave Button nowhere to go.

Meanwhile, Renault are likely to promote reserve driver Esteban Ocon to a race seat - and the Frenchman, who is actually a Mercedes junior driver, could potentially be parachuted into Manor for the second half of this season to gain experience ahead of 2017 if Rio Haryanto cannot raise the money to hold on to his seat.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Cleidson Alves ‏@cleidson_alves 20m20 minutes ago
@andrewbensonf1 Is Massa out of the table?

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 17m17 minutes ago
@cleidson_alves Looks like it

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

INSIGHT: THE CHAT ON F1 DRIVER MARKET AS SUMMER BREAK APPROACHES

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/07/ ... pproaches/

POSTED BY: JAMES ALLEN | 30 JUL 2016 | 11:40 AM GMT | 0 COMMENTS

The final couple of days before F1’s mid season summer break have featured quite a bit of discussion about the movements in the driver market for next season. The decisions and deals will get done over the next eight to ten weeks.
Although Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari have already confirmed their line ups, there could be a reasonable amount of movement a tier below, with a couple of works seats at Renault, Williams also in the marketplace and McLaren likely to make a change.
Here’s our take on what’s being talked about this weekend.

Williams
It looks like Felipe Massa will not continue with the team and there are several permutations here. Jenson Button has been a target for a couple of years and his potential swansong at the team where he began his career in 2000 depends on sponsors like Martini increasing their commitment in order to have a world champion in the car.
Sergio Perez is in discussions with the team and also with Renault. Although Force India owner Vijay Mallya said in Silverstone that both Perez and Hulkenberg were confirmed for 2017, Perez distanced himself from this in Hungary. He has a budget of aroubd €15m in sponsor backing, and given his very positive development as a driver in the last couple of years, he is a very attractive package. He is now quite highly rated in F1 circles.

It looks increasingly likely that Lance Stroll will make the move up to a race seat next season at Williams. The 18 year old Canadian is dominating the FIA F3 series, which Max Verstappen used as a springboard to F1. Although he could do with more development time, the problem is what to do next season if he wins the F3 title this season, as seems very likely.
A year in GP2 could go wrong, as it has for a number of drivers and the momentum would be lost. His father, Lawrence is not one to mess around and he is very much driving the programme.
Engineering sources suggest the youngster looks like a decent prospect, if not perhaps a Verstappen level driver. He has very substantial backing, over double what Perez brings.
He has a testing agreement, where he is paying Williams for 20 days in a 2014 F1 car this season, so he will have a good mileage under his belt by the end of the year.
Williams needs some extra budget, so it’s quite fluid at present, but one could imagine a Perez/Stroll or a Button/Stroll or even a Bottas/Stroll line up next season.

Renault
There are quite a few question marks over this team at the moment, not least what level of budget they will commit to F1 and what their short and medium term ambitions may be. There is also talk of changes in engineering line up.
It’s unlikely that they will retain either of the current drivers next season. Esteban Ocon is the development driver there, despite being a Mercedes protege. He is an option to race one of the cars this year and there are suggestions this weekend that he may be prepared for that by moving into Rio Haryanto’s seat at Manor for the second half of the season.
Another possibility is that he could stay there next season to continue his development, but if there is a seat at Renault that would be a more likely route.
Perez is the target; Force India is believed to have a buy-out clause on his contract and it would be for his sponsors to settle that. Is a move from Force India to Williams or Renault now a good move for Perez? Force India has a great team of people who always get results and race around P5 in the championship and Perez could wait a year..?
Valtteri Bottas is another option, if he moves on from Williams. He might feel that Williams has stalled and not made the progress he had hoped for since he competed regularly for podiums in 2014.
His career is overseen by Toto Wolff and Wolff is close to Fred Vasseur the Renault boss, so the discussion will always be in te background.
Marcus Ericsson is also talking to Renault, as are a number of other drivers.

McLaren
It is looking like an Alonso/Vandoorne partnership next season and few people in the F1 paddock are talking about anything else.
Vandoorne did an excellent job standing in for Fernando Alonso in Bahrain, after the Spaniard was injured in Melbourne. He beat Button and scored McLaren’s first point.
At 24 years of age he is no spring chicken in F1 debutant terms and is more than ready to race in F1. He is six years older than Verstappen and Stroll and also Charles Leclerc, who is in GP3 this year and is the next hot prospect from Nicolas Todt’s stable.
Vandoorne is very highly rated in F1, like Verstappen he is considered a potential champion, and if McLaren were foolish enough to not race him next season, a number of teams would leap at the chance.
There have been rumours linking him with a few races at Manor this season to prepare him, but he showed in Bahrain he’s ready to go and as he is racing regularly in Japan at a high level, on balance the smart move is probably to leave his 2016 programme as it is.

Toro Rosso
Carlos Sainz will get a third year, but his team mate for next season is likely to be 20 year old Pierre Gasly. He had a stuttering start to his GP2 season but has started winnning races and is also getting plenty of chances to test in F1 with Red Bull. He ran at Silverstone after the Grand Prix (below) and he’s believed to be slated for some of the Pirelli 2017 development work, after Sebastien Buemi kicks it off with the test in Paul Ricard next week.
Gasly

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Kvyat on the way out?

scuderiafan

Judging by his demeanor I might even say he was fired post-qualifying...

I feel for Kvyat, he's got the talent to run with the big boys but he is a mentally shattered creature at the moment.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

OneAlex

It does sound like someone who knows he's been fired. Perhaps he was told going into qualifying "do well or you won't come back".

Tbh while I get Red Bull is a high pressure environment in the business of bringing in the best (and those who can take the pressure), I do feel that they and Toro Rosso pretty bad at managing drivers and only end up harming themselves. He's a fast driver but he simply hasn't recovered from being dropped, in the same way that Webber never really regained his speed after becoming de facto No. 2 driver.

(You could argue Webber wasn't as fast as the other guys anyway, but psychologically I'm sure RB's "we openly wonder if you're a weak link" management style lost him and them a few extra places along the way)

In the same vein, I feel like Kvyat's story should temper the enthusiasm which F1 reports talk about newer drivers.

Daniil went from a hot young thing scoring podiums to being dropped from RB and probably now fired from TR within a few races, yet we all talk about how just because Gasly (with a "stuttering start") and Stroll etc have won a few races in a lower formula they're the new hot favourites to replace other more proven drivers like Button (himself nearly replaced by hot young thing Magnussen, who apparently will now be dropped for hot young thing Ocon).

Bottas or Perez to Renault is an interesting one. On one hand Renault (should) have the weight behind it to make use of major rule changes to make a good car but is still playing catch-up, on the other hand, Williams and Force India are stable teams who are running ahead and I don't know if they'll be leapfrogged by Renault's money. All three teams (well, Williams, FI and Enstone) have a history of making good cars on a small budget, but occasionally making a bad one when it's a big design change. Williams and Force India will never really push for wins, but they're pretty loyal with their drivers, Renault will make further strides in future years but are already dumping their drivers annually.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I am thinking this is the last race for Kvyjat, i can see Buemi being brought in, even Felix Da Costa as well if he holds a superlicence. I suppose its all down to who they want to replace Kvyjat, Buemi would be a good dependable call if his Toyota and eDams commitments can be handled correctly towards the end of the year, the two rounds of Formula E look like he would miss them, but his Toyota commitments would be free, unless he has Testing commitments for them. STR could even, once his GP2 season is done, bring Gasly in for FP1 sessions.

I feel sorry for Danil as he is a good driver, the pressure pot of Red Bull and his career is now in slump. I saw him race in GP3 at Monza in 2013 and was massively impressed. He did take a while to step up last year in a poorer Red Bull-Renault, but he mad headway outscoring Riccardo in the second half of the year and over the season after Riccardos second half slumped. I thought he was harshly treated by Vettel after China and Russia but i suppose things stuck too easily and that some in Red Bull wanted to fast track Verstappen as soon as they could.

I feel this is his last race in F1, a race i hope he does well in, but there is a part of me that thinks it will end badly by someone shunting him in turn 1, 2 or 6 or 8 on the first lap giving him a swift and unceremonious exit from F1 and the Red Bull/Toro Rosso pressure pot.

NAPI10
NAPI10

who will be the probable replacement of Perez at FI in 2017?

domh245
domh245

NAPI10 wrote:who will be the probable replacement of Perez at FI in 2017?
Wehrlein might get parachuted in if FI can't find anyone else by themselves who is actually somewhat on the pace (cough cough Celis Jr. cough)

Slightly OT, but what does everyone think about the likelihood of Lynn to Jaguar Formula e? He's said that this season will be his last in GP2, but his performance isn't really good enough for an F1 seat yet IMO.

Aesto
Aesto

OneAlex wrote:Tbh while I get Red Bull is a high pressure environment in the business of bringing in the best (and those who can take the pressure), I do feel that they and Toro Rosso pretty bad at managing drivers and only end up harming themselves.
Red Bull's Young Driver Program has produced one four-time world champion, and they currently have three potential future world champions under contract. I wouldn't judge them too harshly.
OneAlex wrote:Daniil went from a hot young thing scoring podiums to being dropped from RB and probably now fired from TR within a few races, yet we all talk about how just because Gasly (with a "stuttering start") and Stroll etc have won a few races in a lower formula they're the new hot favourites to replace other more proven drivers like Button (himself nearly replaced by hot young thing Magnussen, who apparently will now be dropped for hot young thing Ocon).
Button, Massa, Raikkonnen, etc. were young too once, and they got their chance because someone decided to give them a shot. Older and more experienced drivers had to make way for them too, and F1 was better for it...

Racer X

Hulk Pérez to Renault of their really serious about challenging the top 3 teams.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Racer X

scuderiafan wrote:Judging by his demeanor I might even say he was fired post-qualifying...

I feel for Kvyat, he's got the talent to run with the big boys but he is a mentally shattered creature at the moment.
Reminds me if Perez after McLaren.
Force India should pick him up if they loose Perez.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Interesting article by James Allen on the silly season. Not very different to what's being said here.

iotar__

ChrisDanger wrote:Interesting article by James Allen on the silly season. Not very different to what's being said here.

He names many possible options, the more bizarre the better, missing obvious best line-ups. So Williams would prefer Button-Stroll to Bottas-Massa? That's what I meant by calling their driver management weirder and weirder. They can't be so stupid to lose Bottas, can they? That would be Lotus/Renault level of incompetence [-o< . Is Stroll bringing a lot of money, looks good on posters or what?

With Perez Renault the other weird part is that it's so sudden. Why weren't they interested in him when they were supposedly chasing Sainz? The latter looks better on posters? Didn't know about Perez before Monaco and Baku? Chaos.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

poor guy.
He messed up big time @ RedBull in the beginning of the season - despite also making the podium.
the talent is there, but it seems like there's something that's messing him up. Private issues?
He should have taken the advise on grosjean getting a personal coach / psych coach. perhaps he did tho.

Either way, he hasnt been treated fairly during and after the RB ditching. The bad thing is, he wasnt in
the best of 'mental' place at that time, but such a switch can only be worse and clearly, it has been.

things keep going from bad to worse, really sad for that. he is gutted and body language shows its rather over for him.
i think he has the talent to do quite well, but somehow it isnt working out. as sad as that may be, he's not the first nor
the last to 'not make the cut'.

Just look at Petrov. I think he actually did great, but still got ditched despite making (regular) podiums.
Then in the RB house, Jaime Alguersuari. Buemi. Bourdais. etc.

i feel for daniil, as you can just taste and feel his dissapoint and depression. lets hope he does somethign great tomorrow.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"