2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ME4ME

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

New video on F1.com
http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... urn_1.html

Going by this it actually looks like Kimi slightly turned in on Seb, and Kvyat understeered far far away from his initial line.

Vasconia

Re: 2016 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, Apr 15 - 17

This happens a lot, some Lewis fanatics cant accept that his idol doesnt win always. There is always an excuse to despise Nico´s victories. And as you have said when Lewis has achieved a straightforward victory it has been called "masterful driving". Is this not exactly the same?

turbof1

Vasconia wrote:What sort of damage? I thought the front wing had been changed...
They did but that was far from the only damage. The front wing slipped underneath the car, damaging the under chassis turning vanes, the splitter stay/ support and also the sidepod bargeboards. All which could not be repaired and hold a significant decrease in aero performance.

This is not about being fan or not being fan of hamilton. The damage was simply there. Especially the broken bit not holding the splitter anymore is an issue since without it the splitter will be constantly scratching the ground, leading to both choked airflow and increased pitch sensitivity. Mercedes even told there were mechanical parts damaged (suspension?). Hamilton himself the damage also translated into increased tyre wear.
#AeroFrodo

Vasconia

Thanks for the info!. No, no it was just a question, I was not accousing anyone of being a fanboy.

siskue2005

Vasconia wrote:What sort of damage? I thought the front wing had been changed...

iotar__

ME4ME wrote:New video on F1.com
http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... urn_1.html

Going by this it actually looks like Kimi slightly turned in on Seb, and Kvyat understeered far far away from his initial line.
Same situation and nothing has changed. Raikkonen didn't "turn" he took a normal line, it's a corner ;-). it was Vettel that changed his line causing a contact. Look at the steering wheel and where RB is (enough space), Kvyat "understeered" but after or at the same time Ferrari drivers collided. Without Vettel's bump that slowed down KR I suspect it would be hard for Kvyat to avoid him but that's a pointless speculation.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I think this frame says it all. Kvyat was already in front of Vettel. And he is still with his right wheel in the curb. Vettel came from the outside, het didn't keep the door closed, so Kvyat took the gap. Like he says: that's racing. If we really want to blame somebody, it must be Kimi. He is the one steering to the inside, and forcing Vettel to go to the inside also, but to bad Kvyat was there already.

Vettel should have braked, be he made a judgement error and i think that makes him pissed. He is a perfectionist.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Thats right...Vettel left the gap,went wide,made a mistake and should of braked...100% his fault.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Juzh

NL_Fer wrote:https://www.anony.ws/i/2016/04/18/imagea4dec.png

I think this frame says it all. Kvyat was already in front of Vettel. And he is still with his right wheel in the curb. Vettel came from the outside, het didn't keep the door closed, so Kvyat took the gap. Like he says: that's racing. If we really want to blame somebody, it must be Kimi. He is the one steering to the inside, and forcing Vettel to go to the inside also, but to bad Kvyat was there already.

Vettel should have braked, be he made a judgement error and i think that makes him pissed. He is a perfectionist.
For one kvy is lucky vettel steered out, or else all 3 are done for at the moment when kvyat uncontrollably runs wide with too much speed. There's guilt number 1 on kvy's part. This wasn't a calculated move at all, it was all or nothing.
Vettel could have perhaps put on a bit more brakes. Guilt no2.
3rd is on Rai's shoulders for closing the door like there's no one else on the track after he runs wide. Foolish move at the start of the race.

So we're back to square one. Racing incident.

Juzh

As a side note, after the SC restart Vettel went from 15th to 4th in 5 laps. Not too shabby.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

siskue2005 wrote:
http://cdn-7.motorsport.com/static/img/ ... detail.jpg
The turning vane has been damaged. The top of the splitter has also been damaged. Indeed, it looks like the smooth cover has been ripped off totally. I bet the batwing suffered too. I'm amazed he had enough aero left to get to 7th!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

giantfan10
giantfan10

GoranF1 wrote:Thats right...Vettel left the gap,went wide,made a mistake and should of braked...100% his fault.
Vettel said he did brake... secondly the line that Kvyat took was always going to have him end up way over to the left of the track a country mile away from the apex ,the true apex to that corner is in turn 2. Vettel was actually in the best position to make that apex and carry the best speed to turn 3.Go back and look at the normal line to that corner during the race and you will see that hugging the curbs into turn one ALWAYS ends up with understeer and a compromised turn 3. whats done is done and off to Russia.. hope we can finally have a normal start and race lol

turbof1

I was actually surprised he did not get disqualified for excessive plank wear. I do not know if that actually happened or if it happened they could have called force majeure, but I personally was concerned about it.
#AeroFrodo

Chuckjr

Posting stills to prove this incident you can easily bend the choice of photos to support either side.

The eternal voice of reason for F1 I believe has the best insight into this situation...

KVY was correct try the gap.
Last edited by Chuckjr on 19 Apr 2016, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Watching F1 since 1986.

turbof1

Chuckjr wrote:Posting stills to prove this incident you can easily bend the choice of photos to support either side.

The eternal voice of reason for F1 I believe has the best insight into this situation...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBYHY4SKa3o

KVY was correct try the gap.
What Kvyat did was quite innocent. Vettel should have stayed on the inside of the line instead of moving outwards, which opened up the gap for kyvat to slip into:

Kyvat did not even change his line while radiusing. Vettel and Raikkonen actually collided while Kyat was still glued to that inside line. Only after the incident did he moved from it.

Incidently, back in 2008 Hamilton did something roughly similar at Monza to Raikkonen, but from much more back then what Kvyat did:

I don't remember Kimi being upset about that. In both cases it was just a brilliant move.
#AeroFrodo